LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why exactly is it so bad to have alcohol with Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why exactly is it so bad to have alcohol with Lyme?
nybasketball212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nybasketball212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The morning I woke up with an onslaught of symptoms was after a long night of partying and drinking. I know Lyme patients have exxagerated hangovers, but is that all?

I woke up that morning with this intense dizzy, woozy, almost dream like feeling that hasn't let up for one minute since, and this was over 3 months ago. After a million tests I finally tested positive for Lyme.

I had a lot to drink the previous night, so I was wondering what exactly the alcohol does. Also, does the alcohol have any specific effects on any of the coinfections?

Posts: 306 | From NY | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting question and experience.

I'm sure I've had Lyme since I was at least 17. And, I used to drink like a fish -- all through the college years and more, etc...

I found that it would suppress some of my symptoms so I could go on living. Sadly, no doctor could figure out why I was sick, so I self-medicated.

Regardless, I did fine for a long time until I started feeling really run down. I suspect at this point my adrenals had been shot from running in overdrive for 10+ years. It wasn't uncommon for me to go out partying all night, and get up for work 3 hours later.

Then I couldn't handle 2 beers without feeling hungover for 2 days. That's when I decided to try and dig deeper into why I was feeling sick.

I don't think alcohol has a direct effect on the infection itself, rather your immune system takes a beating from alcohol. Most of us need to do everything we can to keep our immune systems up and running in full gear.

I know that doesn't answer your question specifically, but that's my take on it. I know people are drinking occasionally through treatment. Personally, I don't. Not a drop in almost 11 months.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It taxes the liver bigtime. It creates more yeast. It provides your body with lots of toxins.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sugars = yeast ! not something lymies need !
Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i heard that too. alcohol turns into sugar.

i don't drink ever.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Lyme, itself (as many serious toxic infections), can cause hepatitis and cirrhosis of the liver. Alcohol can increase the chances of permanent damage that can cause severe life-long full body pain & deep fatigue (from liver disease) even if lyme can be coaxed into remission.

Also stressing the liver, excess porphyrins can cause cell death anywhere in the body. Some (if not many) lyme patients have problems dealing with increased toxic porphyrins. In excess, for those with compromised livers, this can be very dangerous, even fatal. Alcohol - even a little bit - can trigger a porphyria attack. See Porphyria thread below.

Kidney function is also stressed with lyme; further so with alcohol.

Lyme toxins can eat away at the protective layer around nerve fibers (called the myeline sheath). Alcohol adds fuel to that flame.

Lyme can eat away at the lining of the esophagus, stomach and colon - and that causes all sorts of serious complications. Bleeding ulcers can develop. Alcohol makes all that so much worse.

Heart disease and diabetes can also result from lyme. Alcohol increases the risks and damage.

The brain - dehydration can be a very serious matter, especially for a brain full of toxins. Alcohol changes the chemical composition of the "brain fluids" (so to speak) to a damaging, and even potentially lethal, mix. We really can't afford to take any kind of hit to our brains. Damage today can affect our lives for days, and years to come.

The inner/ middle ear can be clobbered by lyme. Alcohol not only intensifies the symptoms, in the presence of lyme toxins, alcohol can cause permanent damage to the tender ear system.

Many of the medicines used can be hard on the liver and kidneys - but so can lyme so it has to be treated. Liver support supplements can help, to a degree, but could never compensate for the addition of alcohol.

Alcohol changes the chemical structure of medicines, making them less able to conquer spirochetes and more likely to do damage.

Lyme can be fatal. Alcohol increases that risk.

================================

This explains that lyme is one of the most toxic infections known to man - and that stresses all body systems to the max:

www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/lyme0206.htm

BIOCHEMISTRY OF LYME DISEASE: BORRELIA BURGDORFERI SPIROCHETE / CYST

==================================

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

Sections regarding self-care:

From page 27:

CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED IF LYME SYMPTOMS ARE TO BE PERMANENTLY CLEARED:

1. Not allowed to get behind in sleep, or become overtired.

2. No caffeine or other stimulants that may affect depth or duration of sleep, or reduce or eliminate naps.

3. Absolutely no alcohol!

. . . [more details at link above]

================================

First, see the post: "Secondary Porphyria"

If the body is not able to process certain meds, this is something to consider:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?

PORPHYRIA

==========================

This book is specific to lyme and other chronic stealth infections (such as Cpn).

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

THE POTBELLY SYNDROME: HOW COMMON GERMS CAUSE OBESITY, DIABETES, and HEART DISEASE - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

========================

And - remember that spirochetes don't recognize your best mates' birthdays, or holidays. Every day, we have this toxic infection to deal with and, the care we give ourselves every day - every minute - matters.

Liver damage from even one drink can happen and that damage might not be repairable.
-

[ 11-25-2010, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energyman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energyman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had different experiences in the past.
a big hangover was the only thing that fixed my problems for a while. the mood was a lot better an i felt more fresh and normal. it only lasted about 24 hours though.

i never understood that. but that was before i treated with ABX

Posts: 159 | From Germany | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Knight33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Knight33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dude... nybball we have the exact same symptoms and that's exactly how all my symptoms started too--after a big night of binge drinking. Interesting...
Posts: 121 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dsiebenh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsiebenh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can probably all agree that drinking to the point of a hangover is not advisable, even without a Lyme infection to battle. But I don't agree with the Victorian mindset that says "we will get better faster if we deny ourselves everything that we enjoy." I've done plenty of denial in the last 10 years and I don't think it has helped me in the slightest.

The allegations that "your liver is already stressed", "you are adding toxins", "you are dehydrating your brain", while theoretically true, have unproven connections to Lyme. There are certainly raging alcoholics out there who are doing much better than me, with my Lyme.

If denying yourself everything makes you feel better, and makes you feel like you are battling Lyme more effectively, then go for it. But I think a lot of the relationships between Lyme and behavior are theoretical at best.

Posts: 252 | From NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive been symptomatic since 18 years old and when i turned 21 i went out drinking alot, got way worse. starting tx now at age 26, i don't drink a drop either. not even for the holidays [Frown] the luxuries/comforts we are advised to drop in order to get well will hopefully be worth it some day!

and, honestly, alcohol wasn't the hardest to give up for me. it made me feel like such crap after a while its now much less appealing.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It is not at all my intent to take on a Victorian mindset on this topic. It's just really a very wise thing - to avoid the toxicity of alochol when one is faced with a potentially fatal infection such as lyme (really, a set of infections) that can shut down all the organs and systems of the body.

Alcohol is not a nutrient. It is not a friend to the body. For those who are healthy, small amounts can be safely enjoyed. For those who are not in tip-top health, though, alcohol can be their demise.

The liver is our key to life, itself. In the presence of illness, alcohol can kill our liver, and our bodies in so very many ways.

No one is suggesting to deny things that nourish and nurture us. Alcohol simply does not fit that category. It is a toxic substance - to us - for now.

After remission of a couple months, the liver may be able to tolerate a bit of wine now and then. Until remission, it is about equal with cleaning fluid. To drink is to deny the science of what alcohol does to a liver that is infected and damaged (as all livers are with lyme).

There are many other ways to energize in the company of friends or relax alone. Many other healthful ways to nourish and nurture. Many other delightful ways.
-

[ 11-26-2010, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to go with dsiebenh on this one.

I've been eating healthy & doing all the "right things" & I'm still ill. My reply would be that if something makes you feel ill - to cut it way back or out completely.

I'm not big on telling people don't do this or that... but it's just logical that if something makes you feel worse, don't do it. You could always order a club soda with lime or something else to drink.

Mixing alcohol with most pharmaceutical drugs is usually not a good idea. So, if you are taking abx - drinking is not a good idea. Especially, due to candida issues.

I don't think having one drink on New Years or whatever is going to kill anyone, though.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see how alcohol can be "everything" we enjoy. It's one way of finding release, but there are many other, MORE HEALTHY ways to get a good release. This is coming from someone who was binge drinking for 10 years.

It's a proven fact that alcohol has detrimental effects on the liver, and other functions of the brain. Must of us are so sick, we don't care about a one-day release with alcohol. I'm in it for the long-term.

This thread has several people in it who validate that alcohol brought out there symptoms. So, why even play with it, until everything is resolved?

Certainly, there are better ways to enjoy things than getting drunk. Even though Lyme has been a nightmare, the positive thing is I found my hobbies again and don't need to drink to feel happy.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides the oft mentioned suppression of the immune system that moderate to excessive drinking can cause, the generally believed idea is that both sugar and alcohol spikes in the blood are what stimulate the 'ketes & 'kete colonies into greater activity.

Our own cells' metabolisms pick up... and so do theirs. This in turn helps encourage spirochete multiplication. "Times are good... Let's Party!"

This is why ya gotta eat like a diabetic & be a tee-totaller... for the time being. -Tiny

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement