LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » rocephin IV therapy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: rocephin IV therapy
wildfire
Member # 28418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wildfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can I do to prevent/limit side effects/complications of rocephin.
Posts: 8 | From NH | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your doc does not prescribe actigall then I would take ox bile supplements -- hubby orders his from VitaCost. Might also be a good idea to take oral lecithin as well.

2nd issue would be candida -- even with IV's this can be an issue. Oregon grape root tincture works well for hubby.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nybasketball212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nybasketball212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Side effects to IV Rocephin are pretty rare, I've never really heard of anyone having an issue with it. However, Actigall is definitely something that helps.
Posts: 306 | From NY | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BHealthyNow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BHealthyNow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started itching shortly after doing my IV Push. We stopped because of the itching. I would definitely take something to support the gallbladder.

--------------------
Lyme, Bart, possible Babs
Currently on IV Doxy, Bactrim, Zithromax, Nystatin, Mepron
Been on nearly every antibiotic since 10/09

About 60% improvement. Dizziness, air hunger remain.
http://lemonandlyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 333 | From Boise | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Protect the gall bladder, for reasons stated above. I had an IV with no side effects for 3 months. I would have done better with a cyst buster, I think. see if you can get that. Specifically, Flagyl. Seems to work wonders for people.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today marks day 28 Rocephin treatment for my son. He had to take a 5 day break at days 19 through 24 due to blood test results. I think I see some improvements. Even he said he thought he felt improvements... Now THAT's an impovement!

LLMD checks blood 1x a week. Stopped treatment day 19 because:

His White Blood Count(WBC) & Absolute neutrophil count(ANC) went down(below an acceptable level)...

and liver enzymes were up (AST, ALT & GGT).

If you could find a way to support these areas BEFORE YOU START TREATMENT, I would think you would be ahead of the game.

His LLMD had him stop treatment for a few days until she got the next labs back - then started him back up on a lower dose. Waiting to see what this week's labs tell us.

I'm not going to list all the supplements from Dr. B's guidelines that we are taking... let's just say a lot.

Things we have added (or paid more attention to) since the blood tests were wacko:

Started taking Waiora's Natural Cellular Defense (a friend gave us this to try) LLMD approved trying it. Ingredients = Sodium Aluminosilicate zeolite (clinoptilolite)
Using coconut oil more
Epsom salt + Hydrogen Peroxide footbaths
Green tea with olive leaf extract (1 a day)
Drinking more water and water with lemon
Caster Oil Packs http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T350155.html
Went to see a ND for muscle testing... treating parasites with her mixture (starting tomorrow - also ran this by LLMD)
Teasel Root

Had blood drawn today... hoping levels stayed up so he can keep treating!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momofthree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momofthree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going on 11 months of IV Rocephin and no problems but tons of improvement. Before I started the IV my WBC count was really low, 2.3ish. I checked my counts every week and they were just bouncing all over the place but never normal.

Last month it finally hit 4.0!! Rough ride on all the herxing and symptoms but now more good days than bad ones.

Posts: 303 | From green bay, wi | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo hoo!!! Glad to hear that momofthree! When did you start to notice improvement? My son is discouraged... he is expecting instant results and it is so difficult to keep him in the marathon.

2.3??? That's way lower than my son was when they stopped him. Maybe kids have different levels of tolerance? Do you know what your ANC was at that time?

My son's LLMD conferred with Dr J. (CT) when his WBC was 3.2 and the ANC went below 1,000 (958) and he suggested to pull him off the IV for a few days. Started him back on 1/2 dose. Today, his WBC was 4.1 (yipee!) and not sure on ANC -- llmd was thrilled and asked what we did to get it back up.

I gave her the list (above) and we both think the Waiora, Natural Cellular Defense played a big part... but could be a combo of all of the above!

Back up to full dose split in 2 treatments per day.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I went on ceftriaxone(generic I believe for rocephin), many moon phases ago,

I developed some sort of lung problem which I believe must be another of the spirochete's defense mechanisms.

The reason being is that the pneumonia duck could'nt call it that and the bronchitis doc could'nt call it that either!???

This was at Fairview....of course they never wanted to consider a TBD offshoot of some kind!

The hospital labs were woefully inadequate to properly test all the ramifications of my infections....and I believe the doctor I had at the time of the incident of my first relapse due to inadequate six months of doxy and ammoxy....of course ustilized kuest labs. Who we all know are woefully inadequate in testing for enough species of lyme disease alone....much less anything I probably picked up durring my tours of duty in the Western Pacific Islands all connected to the Combat Operations we engaged in durring the Vietnam conflict!

Could also have been some species I picked up in Pennsylvania while stationed at NAS Willow Grove, PA.

Anyway...why not avoid the IV issues all together and try the IM PENICILLIN weekly or whatever is recommended....

I've always done better on those shots in my butt with these diseases....they just make it difficult for me to stay out of the ole "Donut Hole" my insurance medicare part D has me running into due to the 800 plus dollar ammount for the BiCillin shots at a rate of 40 or so I believe I need to get spirochete free....

But then there's the Babesia issues or the Bartonella "LIKE" (formerly known as cat scratch fever) of years ago....amazingly mutated by a natural selective process or the good ole USA biological chemists messing around with a potential bioweapon....

a whole lot less headaches....just a wallet ache! Even though the IM shots still metabolize in the gut....I had much less problems of any sort when using them and much much improvement...

I followed up with some difluken....but could'nt get near enough of that either....so...I have... relapsed again....

or so it would seem....I can't get to my LLMD until after my usual major six month flare up.... so I'm going to have to rely on some orals I can get through a different source....

OH WELL....I do remember using the old wives tale 1 part clorox and four parts water for the really white and total coating of my mouth back then....

I've since deduced that whenever I would get any further ceftriaxone treatments IV I would either be on an oral for the lungs like Rifampin or a fleuroquinalone(even though the tendonitis can be a big problem).

As I sit and think about it.....whenever a duck gave me a one time shot of an abx to treat tuberculosis("streptomycin")I hardly got out the door when I began getting a very (over my whole body) red rash and itched until the antidotal shot took affect....

Could have been sick with a lot of these bugs way back in the early seventies...like I try and tell the VA....course....they're never willing to listen....

The last Idiot duck I had diagnosed me first with and auto immune deficiantcy and when I went to the complaint department....my "HEADS UP" patient status first appeared in my VA records...

Subsequently removed and a diagnosis of HIV was ficticiously submitted by the Florida VA Idiot Duck instead!

so good luck and God Bless....
YFIChrist
AMZ Sr

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

I just adjusted my sig where I show my son's treatment --he is taking the generic for Rocephin --Ceftriaxone. [Smile]

Sounds like you've been dealing with this quite a long time, lyme tony! You made me chuckle when you said... a whole lot less headaches....just a wallet ache!

I am looking forward to the less headaches... and possibly the wallet will ache less then! LOL.

--------------------
May health be with you!

wildfire
Member # 28418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wildfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and wisdom. Looks like I have alot of information to sift through. As I learn more I have alot more questions.
Linda (wife of husband with neuropsychological lyme)

Posts: 8 | From NH | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all people who have good veins it is less expensive to do rocephin if you do it yourself.

You need peripheral catheter 22-24 G( in Europe 1 box 100 caths 4-8 Euros,they are not expensive in USA to),sterile normal saline of 20ml box of 50-100 less then 10 Euro(this is cheap in USA to.

You can buy a bag of 250 ml IV of normal saline that is 3-5 $ dealmed New Jersey and keep in the cold and take 20ml every day to mix 2 Gr of rocrphin.

Rocephin a box of 10 vials each 1 gr in Europe Austrian made is7-15 Euro ,Slovenian less then 10 Euro.

Heparin I don,t use because i poke myself everyday and after bolus of rocephin is done I take it off,but if you use heparin you can leave catheter in the arm or leg for 5-7 days just inject 1/3 to 1/10 of ampule of heparin after you are done with rocephin .

So just have this materials insert peripheral catheter in vein and lock the opening for IV bag, use the bolus opening on top of catheter to push rocephin.

You can save the fortune in this way.

Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maradona, that was an eye-opening post.

Question though- I thought that frequent use of Rocephin (and some other IV drugs) were very caustic to smaller veins, hence PICC and central lines that are placed in the larger ones.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2young2dieMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2young2dieMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a horrible rash reaction to ceftriaxone. It took weeks to slowly increase the dosage and I took benedryl and zyrtek along with topical benedryl. It was worth it however.

--------------------
Dxd ALS 3/2010
Dxd cllinical Lyme 4/2010
Positive for Protomyxzoa but absolutely nothing else in Igenex

Posts: 417 | From central ct | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement