LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Great! Now I have a rash after STOPPING abx! Photos Inside

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Great! Now I have a rash after STOPPING abx! Photos Inside
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So..woke up this am with a new rash...and I've been off meds for almost 2 days.

How can I get a rash after STOPPING drugs?

Grrrr...

-

-

[ 12-03-2010, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: bcb1200 ]

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhillyLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhillyLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of rash.
Posts: 324 | From Philly | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like the meds were working.

My rashes were always a result of immune system kicking in.

But some people get them from allergic to the med.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like an allergic rash. Thousands of red spots on arms and torso / chest. Different than the rash I had when starting Bactrim / Rifabutin.

I'm getting frustrated. I'm SO CLOSE to being done, but just need to clear a few pesky, remaining mild symptoms. Ever since I have been targeting Bart it's been 1 thing after another.

I had to stop Levaquin for tendon issues

I had to stop Rifampin for high liver enzymes

I had to stop Bactrim and Rifabutin for low white cells.

Now I have a rash when I"m on NOTHING.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a rash from Bactrim on the last day I took it. Allergic, itchy rash.

This was years ago, before Lyme.

It can cause delayed hypersensitivity.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or maybe this is from liver not detoxing properly, so your skin has been put to work too...
Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would tend to agree with Shahbah. My daughter was forced to stop abx for 12 days now and the body does react to the toxin release.

It's very important to continue detoxing to get everything out of your system.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think with a 1/2 life of 12 hours the Bactrim won't clear your body for 3-4 days. So two days of being off the drug isn't enough.

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Rash is getting a bit worse.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a lyme rash to me....

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it Bacrim that you just stopped a few days ago? I'm thinking this may be a sensitivity to the sulfur. I had this when I was younger (and I'm pretty sure it was Bactrim that I was on). Looked like this rash. I ended up in the ER, then was placed in quarantine for 5 days because my wbc went down to nothing, and I became susceptible to everything (so they told me at the hospital). Everyone had to wear booties and masks to keep me protected.

I hope you get your answers soon. Call your doctor.

Take good care,
Tammy

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

THis isn't a lyme rash...its an allergic rash. Probably to Bactrim.
I'm covered at this point. Very itchy.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

jac123
Member # 28247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jac123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I could see of Pic.I had that after finishing quinine and clyndamyacin,and it was delayed.then I was covered torso,and arms it was

pretty ugly,it resolved fairly quickly at that time.However I have had rash on extremities now
with or without meds.Especially when cold or hot

I would say allergy if it clears for good.Hope you feel better!

Posts: 72 | From illinois/wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your rash looks just like the rash I had last summer after 10 days of mepron. Started on my torso and spread. I stopped the mepron but the rash continued to get a bit worse (all over) and finally started to fade. Took a couple of weeks. It itched and I had a temp of 101.9 the first night.(usual temp since lyme was 96.7-97.4)

My PCP had taken Mepron for a year when he was in the tropics studying malaria, and he said it was a classic allergic reaction and that I should never take it again. I took a photo to my next app't with my lyme doc, and he agreed, although when I first called him they said to keep taking it.

Hope yours disappears rapidly!

Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Benedryl take it away?

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had me take Zyrtec and Benedryl...don't remember how long, but not too long. It was really just for the itch.
Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking any tinctures? Lomatium can cause a very serious rash.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

No...

Rash is almost gone today.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement