LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Strep. infection -- misdiagnosis or additonal complication?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strep. infection -- misdiagnosis or additonal complication?
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of our fellow members found out that Strep was playing a major role in their illness, and has improved with long-term Penicillin therapy. Link

Has anyone else found Strep to be a factor? If so, what symptoms do you experience? The way I figure it, if one can get Mycoplasma pneumonia from a source other than a tick, and have it cause severe symptoms that complicate Lyme (I have this happening), then why can't someone also have Strep as an additional infection? It's long been known that Strep can cause systemic disease and has been linked to.. well, just about everything! But I bet very few have been tested. I got tested in the hospital once and it came back negative.

little olive

[ 12-07-2010, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: little_olive ]

--------------------
Myalgic encephalomyelitis, 2002 | Viral onset, following Hep B vaccine
Lyme since '06 | Bartonella since '08 (cured) | Mycoplasma pneumoniae since '08
IGeneX: IgM 31IND 34IND 41+ | IgG 39IND 58+ 41+++
IgG deficiencies and MTHFR 677TT mutations

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tested positive for strep have to retest in two months.
Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested positive for systemic strep at my first LLMD appt. Not sure if strep is another co-infection or if its just hard to get over strep when you have LD.

I think if you have chronic strep, then most likely something else is going on like for example LD or some other illness. Don't think a healthy person would be likely to keep a chronic strep infection. I think it is likely if your immune system is already compromised.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's true, suthergrl. I can't imagine the myco would have given me so much trouble had I normal immune system.

--------------------
Myalgic encephalomyelitis, 2002 | Viral onset, following Hep B vaccine
Lyme since '06 | Bartonella since '08 (cured) | Mycoplasma pneumoniae since '08
IGeneX: IgM 31IND 34IND 41+ | IgG 39IND 58+ 41+++
IgG deficiencies and MTHFR 677TT mutations

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
renny1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renny1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would this be tested with a throat culture? Or is there a blood test etc?
Posts: 341 | From NY/FL | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Renny...it is tested with blood tests. My LLMD runs the DNase, the ASO, and the Streptozyme. Those all evaluate strep levels.

It seems that the ASO and the DNase are the better indicators of the three though as far as monitoring progress although my LLMD still runs all three each time we check it.

My LLMD tests for strep along with tons of other stuff at the initial appointment. She says that many of her patients have a problem with chronic strep so it does seem to be somewhat common with Lyme.

It can be very hard to get rid of. I have been on abx for 2 years now and we still can't get rid of the strep.

My LLMD and I both feel that the strep is my biggest obstacle at the moment. My levels have been sky high. A normal DNase test for adults should be below 85 and mine was 1360 at it's highest and 680 at it's lowest. So I am off the charts with this strep.

Hopefully once we get this strep squared away I will start to make some good progress.

By the way...the symptoms aren't the typical strep symptoms. Never had the sore throat etc.

The symptoms just seem to overlap with symptoms of other tick borne diseases so it is hard to tell which illness is causing which symptoms.

I would have never known I had strep if she hadn't tested me.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any natural ways (herbs, etc.) to gently attack strep while on abx for Lyme, etc.?
Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger, Barberry, Andrographis, Pau D arco, Garlic
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the herb suggestions.

Maybe a nice ginger tea will work? Probably not strong enough, but it sounds yummy (and warm) right now with this outside chill!

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I was tested, I was positive on the titer. So the stupid doctor (not Lyme literate) told me I had recently had strep, and he seemed baffled.

I have no clue what my status is now....but I do think the PANDAS model is basically the story of my life, so it makes sense.

At this point, I haven't a clue what should be done. I did a year of Bicillin, so if that didn't kill it, I've lost any desire to try to.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
little olive said "I can't imagine the myco would have given me so much trouble had I normal immune system."

I am afraid Mycoplasma Pneumonia is the scariest of all the co-infections. It has been weaponized and will evade antibiotics.

Perhaps the strep is a brother of the myco?

I will ask my son's LLMD for these tests: DNase, the ASO, and the Streptozyme -- do I need all 3?

My son tested positive for strep before he started treatment. I mentioned that tom his LLMD but she felt that the abx he is currently on will be working on the strep too. Now I am not so sure.

Maybe he needs real penicillin? Why do I never hear of penicillin being used for lyme? Has it been proven ineffective on Lyme?

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deazinn
Member # 29011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deazinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if the Pneumonia vaccine will take care of this? I know with my allergist, they did blood work and I tested postive for some of the strains that are in the vaccine that causes chronic sinus infections (which occured prior to my lyme) and they had me vaccinated. I also know that I now have some kind of a chest or upper resp infection, even on my lyme abx.
Posts: 3 | From SouthCentral PA | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deazinn:
Does anyone know if the Pneumonia vaccine will take care of this? I know with my allergist, they did blood work and I tested postive for some of the strains that are in the vaccine that causes chronic sinus infections (which occured prior to my lyme) and they had me vaccinated. I also know that I now have some kind of a chest or upper resp infection, even on my lyme abx.

The pneumonia vacccine protects you from Streptococcus pneumoniae.

The strep tests talked about above are for Streptococcus pyogenes otherwise known as Group A Strep.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful with vaccines. All I'm gonna say.
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

quote:
Originally posted by kitty9309:
The pneumonia vacccine protects you from Streptococcus pneumoniae.

The strep tests talked about above are for Streptococcus pyogenes otherwise known as Group A Strep.

Thanks for mentioning that, kitty, I'll change the title of the thread to "strep infection"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement