LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help Cipro and Tendon Damage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help Cipro and Tendon Damage
MrsScampi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrsScampi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently on Cipro for Bart and I am trying really hard to know the difference between a
tendon and a muscle, I have pain from the back of my scull to my shoulders, into the joints of my arms, also pain in my biceps,forearms,bottom of fingers, calves,insides of ankles, bottom of feet into toes, outside of palms of my hands, back of my thighs, front of my thighs right above my knee.

Anyone out there with any knowledge, even under my arms into my breast hurt.

Posts: 200 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is working killing bacteria.
Usually quinolone side effects atack achili tendon on the foot heel second one is your shoulder ligaments.And the pain is along this ligament attaches the corresponding bones is worst with mowement.
Take Mg and vitamin C to prevent this side effect.

Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a bart herx. Seriously, it was the worst pain I had in all of Lyme treatment. Epsom salt baths help tons. Hang in there, after six weeks I felt lots better. I used Levaquin, and it was a breakthrough treatment for me.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only say, it would be advisable to stop immediately taking Cipro. Having been floxed myself by Levofloxacin, I tried too long to believe in Bart symptoms until I finally stopped - much too late. The damage was done.

As to this:
quote:
Take Mg and vitamin C to prevent this side effect.
In my opinion it is an illusion to rely on it, that it helps against getting floxed.
Even if Dr. B. says so.

[ 12-09-2010, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: kadee ]

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree with up-ing your Mg levels. "Too bowel tolerance" then back down to find the right dosage that is enough but not too much for you. I was on crutches after my first levaquin try, but then an LLMD gave me great advice about increasing one's Mg dose 2 weeks b/f quin. Tx and throughout and it has worked pretty well for me since. (Make sure to take it at least 3 hours away from your ABX.)

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heaavenlyholler1
Member # 28700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heaavenlyholler1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop taking cipro...
I took it years ago and a muscle in my
calf broke.
I was in a cast for eight weeks and could
not walk for almost a year.
My doc said it was from the cipro.
I will never take it again.
This is just my experianse but it has happend
to others.

Posts: 12 | From TN | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lipanz
Member # 13788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lipanz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Yrs. ago the derm told me cipro was harmless-
Well I was on doxy and cipro for a month and seemed like doing nothing- then night before I slept well exceptionaly well & and got up next morning felt good-walked down steps good no stiffness.
Later was in line in dept store all of sudden a flash of numbness in leg & everything came back-stiffness getting in car-later just sitting on bed all of a sudden like someone took a pointed bread knife and ripped across my buttock. I couldn't stand -it was horrible-my back- herniated disc. horrible- finally I had surgery.I have lyme vasculitis. Had a nerve test-showed axonal neuropathy mostly. Ortho dr. had in record: I will not do surgery on this woman until all treatment options are fully resolved for the lyme d. Finally he did the surgery. As it got worse & worse neurogenic claudification too.
Could this have been from the cipro? I don't think so.

Posts: 35 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lipanz
Member # 13788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lipanz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot when I got that sharp like a pointed bread knife ripped across buttock -then later big purple bruise vascular rash.
Which a lot of my re occuring rashes are more European. On the Eucalb euro site. I have esp. one exactly plus I have acro dermatitis chronica atrophicans.
In remission now but loads of damage. ACA etc. is not only in Europe and BB also causes it not just borrelia avzeli. As the so called "conservative side is now saying it is not in the US" Oh it sure is.

Posts: 35 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lipanz:

Could this have been from the cipro? I don't think so.

What do you think caused it then??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lipanz
Member # 13788

I did think a few yrs after maybe from the cipro- as I read some things about cipro and tendon damage etc. But possibly other thought would be as I do have lyme vasculitis which is inflamation of the blood vessels from the infection.
Also it is known that the borrelia likes to nestle and hide out in the lining of blood vessels. A physcian asst. said could have been a reaction of possible bacteria being killed in blood vessel ? hmmmm. Crazy part is the night before I slept like a baby and got up in morning felt like everything was gone after a month of cipr and doxy Then later in afternoon- just sitting on the bed whamo.
When I get flare up mostly now it is like thighs I get purple bruise circles (not bruised) then slowly in time clears with central clearing with pink irregular ring. Recently showed one to dr. and he said that really is inflamed and the tissue is sore when you press on it.
I can't say definetely not from cipro (the horrible buttock incident) but I have had cipro off and on previously and nothing like that. In 2004 got UNEXPLAINED fractures (this was I believe yr or yr 1/2 after the first horrible incident -I was NOT on cipro at this time - the most horrible horrible pain after with spasms esp in morning-spasms back of legs - they just came on their own-got like electrical jabs in certain areas- Previous to this got like bursitis symptoms with purple and pink rashes in groins.
then came the horrible fractures -I do not have osteoporosis. One of the fracture areas was sacroiliac, another area, then later 2 rib fractures?? I could not stand on my own after-had to have home care & the pain was horrendous. Dr's nurse then said do you know any lyme drs. We don't know if the lyme caused that or if that stirred up the lyme...
Took a long time to heal. It wasn't the normal fracture situation. It is a known fact that borrelia gets into bone marrow also ..It was in the Journal of Spirochetal & tick borne diseases. It was found by MDL labs Dr. Tilton who is the head of it- by PCR. Plus it also causes certain types of anemia.
About the fractures well - on the latest edition of Under Our Skin DVD- there it is where they were standing at a cemetery etc. and then they showed photos of some death certificates one was Lyme D. alheimer's. Another Lyme Disease: FRACTURED RIBS - & had adrenal insufficiency. So I guess that answers that question about unexplained fractures with that situation of mine. I cannot be 100% sure about the first situation. But I never had a problem with cipro before.
Practically all my symptoms are the odd ones more European? But yes I have read that Cipro can cause tendon etc. problems.
MrsScampi: I hope you are better- Did you stop the Cipro.

tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps a good test would be to switch to rifampin for bart and see if you have the same muscle pain. When my kids started rifampin, they said, "Everything hurts" for more than 2 weeks. I do think the muscle pain is part of a bart herx, but it is hard to know if there is a cipro side effect or not.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But I never had a problem with cipro before
I read through a few boards of chinolone victims.
The crash often happens all of a sudden, while before the were no problems with tolerance, even after several rounds of that class of ABX .

The adverse sideeffects can set in a long time after treatment.

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lipanz
Member # 13788

Thank you for your reply - but what do you think about the unexplained fractures - that was a about a yr and half after the other episode. I believe I was on off and on bicillin Im injections. You are from Germany- do you know of anyone in your area who has or had acrodermatitis chronica atrophicans.
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

quote:
You are from Germany- do you know of anyone in your area who has or had acrodermatitis chronica atrophicans.
Yes, I had it 10 years ago. It disappeared after Cefotaxim.

As to the fractures: I did not read about this as a chinolone-sideeffect.
I only know, that Bartonella can affect the tibia.

joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a similar situation last month. I have taken all the quinolones with no issue in past years. LD doubled cipro, and I did spend a few painful weeks convinced that my painful symptoms were a herx. Saw my LD who stopped the cipro imediately...pain is now stopping gradually.
In retrospect I realize I should have known that my symptoms were somewhat different and I was just hoping it was die-off.
Be careful
Kris

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on levaquin experiencing pain in my shoulder, right arm and back. The LLMD thought it was a herx and so did I because it was in my muscles.

Then a few days later I felt a stabbing pain in my shoulder and a snap like a rubber band breaking. That was the beginning of 8 months of agony.

The tendon damage can happen to your achillis, your rotator cuff and even you hands. One person on a forum had the tendons controlling her eye movement damaged leaving her with double vision. These drugs can also cause psychiatric problems.

I still believe Levaquin is worth taking a chance on as it was very effective against the bartonella but you should load up on Vitamin C and magnesium before and during treatment and quit when there is pain.

After Levaquin I could not tolerate any other drug for months so I had a complete relapse as herbs just won't hold it in check.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement