LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Alcohol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alcohol
tricia386
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you cant drink during treatment. But once treatment is done can you drink again

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No! You can never, ever drink again! In fact, just looking at alcohol will do you harm! ; )

There are some who will argue both for and against an occasional glass of wine during treatment and up to six month after, but I really don't see the harm if you are feeling good. If you are really sick, then obviously the answer is you should not drink at all. But, if you are still in treatment and have been feeling good for a while, I, personally, don't think a glass of wine will hurt. That doesn't mean a glass every day or even once a week, just rarely.

Ok, let the bashing begin! ; )

Posts: 217 | From Earth | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but once your done with treatment you can drink again though right?!

--------------------

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

but once your done with treatment you can drink again though right?!

--------------------

canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone really wants to drink : )
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very curious about this myself.

--------------------
long road since 2010
abx got me over the hump
diet, detox, and herbs have got me to heal

Posts: 174 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BHealthyNow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BHealthyNow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I plan on it. I still will be careful about drinking too often, but my doc has ok'd occasional drinks even on treatment.

--------------------
Lyme, Bart, possible Babs
Currently on IV Doxy, Bactrim, Zithromax, Nystatin, Mepron
Been on nearly every antibiotic since 10/09

About 60% improvement. Dizziness, air hunger remain.
http://lemonandlyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 333 | From Boise | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you might be drinking now as you are repeating yourself! ; )

Yes, you can drink like a fish; buy a bar and celebrate your victory over lyme buy drinking yourself silly; pickle yourself to your hearts content; live on skid row inside a wine bottle; undo all the things you've worked so hard for to get well!

Honestly, from what I've read, "they" say you still should not drink until six month after recovery and even than you should still maintain in moderation, just like everything in life. Moderation is key. Good balance.

Posts: 217 | From Earth | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
What most LLMDs will tell you is no alcohol during treatment and for at least two months after you reach remission.

Once in a good remission, most can drink a glass of wine a couple times a week and feel fine. However, if there is liver damage, alcohol may need to be avoided on a continual basis.

Below are excerpts from other threads that may be of help.

=======================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/98626?

Topic: how bad is alcohol? College student

----------------

Yes, this can be puzzling but I found it helps to explore why LLMDs stress the importance of avoiding alcohol. Then, it all makes so much more sense. It's all about the safety of our cells - our own safety and longevity.

Very itchy the next day from drinking can be a signal of liver toxicity and dysfunction. Lyme hits the liver VERY hard. Even after treatment, it can take a very long time for the liver to heal enough to be able to handle even one drink.

Alcohol - any at all - entirely changes how both pharmaceutical medicines and herbal supplements work - it alters chemical properties to create something totally different - increasing risks while also diminishing effectiveness.

Several reasons to avoid alcohol until FULLY recovered -- one of which is that the liver is dealt a huge blow with lyme and damage can be severe. Add to that the need for medicine and that puts even more stress on the liver.

The lyme spirochete produces one of the most toxic substances known to man, similar to that of botulism. The liver is the primary organ to metabolize those toxins and get them out of the body. That is no easy job.

Many (if not all, as at least one LLMD thinks) lyme patients have excess porphryrins - from the liver being overwhelmed. The porphyrins, in excess, can kill cells of all types but especially nerve cells.

Alcohol uses the cytochrome P-450 liver detox pathway. Patients with the porphyria problems have that pathway damaged to varying degrees so the very best of self-care is vital.

As well, the brain cells don't do well with alcohol. Nor the lining of the stomach. Alcohol really does not mix well with any medicine.

And - remember that spirochetes don't recognize your best mates' birthdays, or holidays. Every day, we have this toxic infection to deal with and, every day matters. Liver damage from even one drink can happen and that damage might not be repairable.

====================

These links may be a sort of "Scared Straight" approach, yet, each one helps us to understand WHY alcohol can be devastating to someone dealing with such a life-threatening and toxic infection.

I think it helps to know HOW & WHY. That's a long explanation but basically, the health of our liver will be one of the most important determining factors in the level of success we are able to achieve.

==================================

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

Sections regarding self-care:

From page 27:

CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED IF LYME SYMPTOMS ARE TO BE PERMANENTLY CLEARED:

1. Not allowed to get behind in sleep, or become overtired.

2. No caffeine or other stimulants that may affect depth or duration of sleep, or reduce or eliminate naps.

3. Absolutely no alcohol!

. . . [more details at link above]

=====================

This explains that lyme is one of the most toxic infections known to man - and that stresses all body systems to the max:

www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/lyme0206.htm

BIOCHEMISTRY OF LYME DISEASE: BORRELIA BURGDORFERI SPIROCHETE / CYST

by Prof. Robert W. Bradford and Henry W. Allen

EXCERPT:

. . . A discovery of great importance relating to a toxin produced by the causative agent of Lyme disease, Borrelia burgdorferi, has been linked to a similar toxin produced by the organism Clostridium botulinum (botulism). . . .

- Full article and great photos at link above.

=====================

This book is specific to lyme and other chronic stealth infections (such as Cpn).

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

THE POTBELLY SYNDROME: HOW COMMON GERMS CAUSE OBESITY, DIABETES, and HEART DISEASE - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

======================

See the "Secondary Porphyria" article first - just one way alcohol causes more liver stress but not the only way.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?

PORPHYRIA Thread

======================

A helpful search: "Hepatic Encephalopathy" and "Lyme Encephalopathy"

"Fatty Liver Disease" is also relevant and it's important to know that lyme greatly increases the risk of developing diabetes. The sugars in alcohol can blast that increased risk to a quick reality.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hhoskins72
Member # 26190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hhoskins72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started drinking again after my first and only remission. I am convinced that it was a HUGE factor in causing me to relapse. Just my opinion...
Posts: 33 | From Texas | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one will be having the best Champagne money can buy when/if I get well.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

i do not drink a lot, but when i do go out to dinner once or twice a month i like to have a glass of wine with dinner or a cocktail. How do I know if I have liver damage from lyme. Should i get an ultrasound?

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ultrasound usually won't tell you much. It's not just the liver but also the brain, the heart, nerve cells that also can die with alcohol and lyme combination. Lyme patients are much more likely to develop diabetes. Alcohol is a fast track to that.

Alcohol also totally changes the chemical make-up of medicines. Not good. Not good at all.

� Bottom line: "absolutely no alcohol" until well into remission. �

Lyme can be fatal. It's a very serious disease that requires serious attention. Some don't make it. You want to be sure you have a chance. Spirochetes and cell damage don't take a day off because we want a drink.

Find other ways to enjoy life.

Please be sure to nurture yourselves now and enjoy good flavors and good times - every single day. Sure, we may miss some favorite foods and drink but there is still so much flavor to enjoy in so many other healthful ways.

Whether reaching for relaxation or celebration - or just ways to cope - there are are so many ways to feel good and celebrate while taking in health.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

I am so new to all of this. I just got dxed on thursday with Bartonella. And they believe lyme but they want me to take an Igenix test.

I also have Vitiligo and Hashimoto Thyroid. Vitiligo started after a bug bit interesting could have been lyme.

Then this year I got the gardasil vaccine and boom my life changed. I got Hashimoto's and the dxed w/this.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Alcohol would be off limits with ANY of those. I'm sorry for the shock but this is a very serious combination. I don't want to scare you but it's important to know that whatever kind of vector borne infections - whether one or more - treatment is a very serious matter. Some do not make it. Most do but only with extreme diligence.

Important to keep in mind as to why we have to take the best care we can of ourselves:
----------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/16292#000000

Lyme (and TBD) Disease Obituaries

http://lymememorial.org/

The National Lyme disease Memorial Park Project

http://www.underourskin.com

UNDER OUR SKIN - in the documentary and in the bonus footage produced some time after the initial filming, we walk along with some dear people who do not survive yet still inspire us with their strength and courage. We also see many others who manage to overcome lyme on various levels.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/15820

SUCCESS STORIES
-

elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wine is the only thing that helps me sleep. Please don't tell me I can't drink:-( OMG, I sound like an alky...

--------------------
Urge Congress on EMF Safety, FCC Must Change Exposure Guidelines for Microwave Radiation Exposure: http://tinyurl.com/2cjq54y
Halt Universal Broadband, A Public Health Hazard:
http://tinyurl.com/3x7xrmq

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If your LLMD has not informed you of the risk of alcohol with lyme, he or she is not doing right by you.

"Absolutely no alcohol" seems very clear. This is not to be mean but because it's so toxic at a time when the body is overwhelmed with toxins.

Alcohol . . . and many sleep and pain meds are toxic and/or hard on the liver and kidneys, here are some suggestions for sleep support that can safely nourish & calm the body:
---------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements
-

'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My L.L.N.D. said that once your well into remission, you might have a some wine with your dinner, or a little champagne or beer on special occasion, BUT...
you can never "drink to get drunk" EVER AGAIN.
Too much risk for a relapse.

Nor can you- or should you- ever force yourself to stay up REEAL late. You'd just be ASKING for a 'repeat performance'.
Thank God I normally go to bed at 2AM...
& get up at ~9:30. G'night, folks!

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years back, early into treatment, I would enjoy some wine here and there. I've now stopped completely. BUT I fully intend to enjoy modest amounts of wine and champagne when I finally kick this thing. It's just not worth the risk while still sick. My body is working so hard for me right now, I want to be as kind to it as I can so it will return the favor.
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PTrain
Member # 28773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PTrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my experience (and I love the taste of beer) once you get away from the alcohol it's not so hard to stay away. If you drink often, like several days a week, or even every day, at first it will be difficult.

The first couple of weeks for me were rough, but now I feel way better. Keebler is right, you just need to find other ways to enjoy life.

You will be surprised how much better you feel. Alcohol is a depressant. Initially, it can be a social stimulant, but that wears off and you are just left a little more tired and none of us needs that.

I had to give it up and do the yeast free sugar free diet. In the long run your head will be clearer and your body will be better off. Why would anyone voluntarily hold a loaded gun to their head?

Posts: 54 | From Northern NY State | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first was finished with treatment I still had alcohol intolerance. I was very toxic and I had just started treating KPU, which also causes alcohol intolerance. I would feel toxic/hungover after a few sips. After I worked on a lot of liver detox (several Hulda Clark detoxes, Dr. Natura, etc.), I could drink again.

However, likely due to the KPU because Lyme and coinfections don't show up at all in ART testing, I can't drink very much at all. Two is my limit. This also runs in my family going back generations and I really don't think all of them have/had Lyme, more likely KPU, which is hereditary.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use to LOVE beer. i gave up alcohol a year ago. i still feel like crap. i gave up sugar. still feel like crap. i gave up carbs/gluten. still feel like crap.

im beginning to wonder if giving up so much really makes any difference.

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

well, this is so overwhelming and confusing...how come certain ppl, beat these and others cannoot?

--------------------

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we cook with wine? One we're in remission?
I love using wine or sake in some cooking dishes.

Maybe it's ok since the alchol will be cooked?

Also - is red wine vinegar and/or champagne vinegar not good to consume during treatment?

I bought Braggs apple cider vinegar yesterday for salads but was just wondering if I can mix in other forms of vinegar?

Lucky me - I am not a drinker - I can do without it.. maybe have one for New Year's once I am in remissiong but that's about it!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Cooking with wine adds sugar and sulfites. Wine vinegars are a mine field of sugar and sulfites, too. It's best to avoid all that until health is better.
-

jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six --- what do you mean lyme & co don't show up in ART? My doc does this and he found them? At least that's what I thought.

Junkyard -- i get ya. I was so so so strict on my diet for so long and it never seemed to matter. So lately I've been slack. I know how important diet is but it's hard to stick with it when you feel like crap no matter what.

Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six - correct me if I am wrong...

I think when Six said "Lyme and coinfections don't show up at all in ART testing" - she meant they don't show up for her... because they are not a factor for her.

Lyme and coinfections will show up in ART testing if they are causing havoc in YOUR body.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That makes much more sense Heather. Thanks.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tlime
Member # 29508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlime   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we all need a script for marijuana [spinning smile] [woohoo]
Posts: 40 | From CT | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

I agree!!!!

--------------------

tricia386
Member # 29623

I am not gunna lie I do use medical marijuana occansionally

--------------------

tlime
Member # 29508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlime   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't, know some who have. but really, the physical side effects on even a healthy body are far less serious than alcohol and cigarettes!!! [loco]
Posts: 40 | From CT | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
when using medical marijuana, be sure to consider methods that do not involve inhaling the hot smoke.

Some put it in butter (for "funny butter"), etc.

Not sure how much particulate matter goes through a water pipe but, beside hot smoke, particulate matter is never good to inhale so be sure the filters are in place and that you'd get only vapor that is not too hot.

There are some helpful effects from medical marijuana - it's just that any smoke can be a killer to tender throat and lung tissue.

================================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/24039

HOW TO IMPROVE COMFORT LEVELS: Looking for long term pain management

=======================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement