LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diagnostic testing in NY - many illegal tests?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diagnostic testing in NY - many illegal tests?
momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4-8-11 I am editing this post because of my frustrations with testing in NY. If you live in NY you should be concerned.

1.) Only whole blood and urine can be tested. I called the NYS Dept of Health in Albany to confirm this.

2.) NY state doctors can not order tests for red blood cells, plasma, hair or saliva. There may be more things we are restricted from testing. These are the obstacles I have run into while trying to get my son well.

***I am going to a pro bono lawyer April 13 to try to find out WHY our medical rights are being violated in this state.

Any input is appreciated!

My original post below.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does anyone know why NY doctors and patients cannot do spectra cell lab tests http://www.spectracell.com/micronutrient-testing-comprehensive-nutritional-panel/

or trace mineral tests on hair?
http://meridianvalleylab.com/patients/ordering-a-test/

"Meridian Valley Laboratory (MVL) does not provide services to any patient or practitioner located in the State of New York."

I asked my son's LLMD and she said her hands are tied in NY... it's like the state does not want to admit that vitamins, minerals and heavy metals can have anything to do with your health!

I called spectra cell labs and they said it is tied up in court and NY does not allow testing.

I am currently scheduled to see a doctor in Massachusetts who can order these tests... but I want to know WHY NY doctors and patients are unable to test!!!

Are there ANY other labs that can test for these vitamins, minerals and heavy metals (in NY)?

Is there a law on the books that I can protest against?

[ 04-08-2011, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: momlyme ]

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the3030club
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the3030club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll look tomorrow. But i KNOW i've been tested for B vitamin levels, magnesium, and calcium.

By more than one doctor, in NY state.

I'm not saying you're wrong ... but maybe there's a detail we're missing??

Posts: 339 | From Outer Space | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way to know for sure is to call and ask the lab but my guess is it is because it is probably too expensive in NY for this lab to file and qualify for all the licensing requirements that NY state requires.

I have had testing of this sort done in NY by other labs. The same is true of Diagnos-Tech Lab. If you live in NY state they cannot process your test and it is because they have not applied to be qualified or certified, if you will, to do business in the state of NY. My doctor told me it is because it is too expensive for many companies to do so in NY state.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annelet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annelet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Doctors data lab. My LLMD in NY state uses them

http://www.doctorsdata.com/tests_assessments_info.asp

Posts: 250 | From canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this site with a list of labs that do vitamin testing:
http://vitamintesting.com/tests/vitamin-testing-lab/

This morning I called Doctor's Data Lab and talked to customer service. They told me that NY only allows whole blood and urine analysis...

When you look at their list of tests:
http://doctorsdata.com/tests_assessments_info.asp
NY restrictions cut out a lot of tests.

The hair analysis lab (Meridian) had a notice right on their website saying no testing in NY state.

When I called Spectra Cell Labs, they said they were not allowed to do testing in NY and it was tied up in the courts so they couldn't talk about it. This looks like a blood test, so I don't understand that.

My head is spinning. Way too much information and it seems like something that should be as simple as a blood test is complicated by restrictive laws.

I am close to Vermont and if I could find a doctor that would help us in that state there are no restrictions on testing there.

I have an appointment in MA - but not til Jan. 19th I was hoping to find a way to do this testing sooner.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

BTW, Dr. K says the most accurate way to get a picture of what is going on with heavy metals and trace metals is with HAIR testing. This is one of the main reasons that I continue to search for a non-restrictive testing site.

--------------------
May health be with you!

momlyme
Member # 27775

So today I talked to a ND / MD office in Vermont that advertises on their website that they do heavy metal chelation and specialize in Lyme Disease.

They said they can't do the hair analysis on my son because he is a New York State resident!

This I did not know.

Now we have to move to get a hair test done???!!!

I am sick of this. I just want some help from a doctor with heavy metal chelation / HPU treatment.

Any ideas are welcome.

Anyone know whether a DMSA induced urine test will give us any useful information for moving forward with HPU treatment?

--------------------
May health be with you!

TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DMSA may or may not show heavy metals in your son's urine.

If it does show heavy metals then you can be assume that it's effecting his zinc levels which points to KPU/HPU.

I had the dmsa provocation test 2x. Once at the beginning of lyme treatment and lead, mercury and aluminum were elevated.

At the end of lyme treatment and almost 2yrs. of metal chelation all my levels were down but lead was still elevated. This does not mean my mercury levels are good but could mean my body is still holding on to it.
Hope this makes sense.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Is there any point to doing the DMSA test?

This doc won't take my insurance and if all they are going to do is tell me he has mercury and lead... I already know that.

I just want a doctor to monitor him and guide me to do the right things for him.

I guess I need to do more reading on what tests will monitor him during this whole process.

--------------------
May health be with you!

momlyme
Member # 27775

I finally got a solution to this issue...

Doctor's Data is the lab that I wanted to get the hair elements test from...

New York State health law prohibits the testing of specimens collected in or mailed from New York and prohibits the transmission of data from a
laboratory to NY physicians or residents, unless this laboratory is licensed under the New York State Public Health Law.

Annelet - I have no idea how your LLMD gets the test done from NY... my LLMD and I ran into brick wall after brick wall. I am sending you a PM.

I have been wasting time at appointments with Vermont doctors looking for a doctor to order the test. I found out that most doctors don't think heavy metals can contribute to chronic lyme disease. I even had one doctor tell me you can't get heavy metal poisoning unless you work in a battery factory.

HERE'S THE SOLUTION (thanks to a post at Autism-Mercury yahoo group):

The law applies to Doctors Data, not Direct Labs.
https://www.directlabs.com

Direct Labs states on their website that "State law prohibits direct access testing in New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island." So I thought I was out of luck here too... according to a post I read:

From Direct Labs point of view, none of this applies to sending a test kit to a New York address, which they do every day. I called them 985-231-0879 and they are sending me a test kit.

DirectLabs actually puts the name of a Louisiana MD on the test requisition, and the return address for the kit is in Louisiana. DDI transmits the results directly to DirectLabs in Louisiana.

As far as I know, nothing in NYS law prohibits a doctor outside of NYS from transmitting test results to their patient in NYS. So this is how
DirectLabs mails the test result to the patient in NYS.

Another tidbit I got off that forum (with no citation): New York made hair tests illegal when someone used them to figure out some of the public schools were poisoning all the kids with lead. It was cheaper to make hair tests illegal than to remediate the schools.

I will be continuing to investigate this law. It seems ridiculous to limit testing like this. I want to know why and write senators & representatives to lift these laws that don't allow us to test for vitamin & mineral deficiencies!

--------------------
May health be with you!

mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not understand. I guess I can understand that NY has restrictive certification, but why should you not be allowed to get tests from other states.

I would imagine you should have a lot of hair pulled out for the test if you are ever allowed to get take it.

It would be interesting to see what your congressperson's office has to say.

The california nurses union is a great resource for the political aspects of health care here, but things may be different there.

Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Please help me get to the bottom of the issue with NYS testing. See the edited 1st post.

I am very frustrated with this.

Another test that we cannot do in NY:
Mycoplasma pneumoniae & Chlamydia pneumoniae multiplex panel by Clongen Labs.

--------------------
May health be with you!

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you spoken to any of the support groups for patients that tend to have atypical testing done on them because mainstream medicine has nothing to offer? I am thinking of autism specifically. They have to have found solutions to this problem in your state. The getaround is what you are looking for, not the specific tests.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many times I've had to send out tests from a location in Jersey

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is my understanding that New York requires that all lab tests be certified by that state. As far as I know all other states only require that the actual lab be certified.

So if a lab offers 50 different tests then each test must individually be certified by the state of New York. Many labs do not even bother going thru the process because of the time and expense involved.

This is what I was told by some docs when hubby had some medical appointments in New York.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

I have a half hour free consultation with a lawyer specializing in health on April 28th.

[woohoo]

Hopefully I get some answers.

In the meantime, I am off to post in some NY support forums for Lyme and Autism.

BackinStOlaf - can you send me any info by PM about where in NJ?

Lou - you are right. The getaround is what I am looking for. I found a way to get the hair test done... not the blood tests, stool samples or saliva.

I have to find a doctor who is not in NY who will order testing for a child and an adult and does not have a waiting list a mile long or high office fees. (PM me if you know of a Lyme friendly, open minded MD that fits this description)

Bea - I have talked to one of the doctors at the NYS Dept. of Health in Albany and he says we can only test whole blood and urine. So what you say is true... but it goes deeper. They will not approve tests that are not on whole blood or urine.

I have called several labs directly. NY is the ONLY state with these restrictions.

Still would like more feedback and advise!

--------------------
May health be with you!

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather- yes, go with Direct Labs, I think they do Doctors' Data testing. If you're close enough to New Jersey or VT, go to a collection center in one of those states if they wo'nt do it at a NY State collection center (the way Direct Labs works for most tests is that you go to a local Labcorp office for things like blood draws- of course the way the Doctors Data toxic metals test works, you get a big container to pee in, and a mailer to send a sample to the lab after the urine collection is done, so you might not need to even see a local Labcorp for collection- but- there's an injection of DMPS or another chelating agent involved, and I don't know how they handle that through Direct Labs.).

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't even do the Neuro Science test that uses urine to check your neuro transmitter levels in NY any more due to changes in the law.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Maybe this is NY's way of telling me I should move.

There are far too many obstacles to getting well imposed by an over-controlling state government.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement