LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Igenex Test Results: Is it Lyme? Please Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Igenex Test Results: Is it Lyme? Please Help!
jeffinca11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffinca11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone,

Please help. Having a hard time pinning down a diagnosis.

Took the Igenex Lyme Panel. This is what it showed:

IgM:

31kDa: IND
39kDa: IND
41: ++
45: +

IgG:

23-25 kDa: IND
41 kDa: +
58 kDa: +

HME (Ehrliochiosis):

1:160 Titera (Igenex states that this may mean an active infection)

All the other co-infections came back negative.

CD 57:

Vitamin D:

Also showed a bunch of Antibodies to:

Coxsackie B
Mycoplasma Pneumonia
HHV 6
Cytomegalovirus

But the doctor says that a lot of people show antibodies to these virus's and most people have been exposed to them.

Been to a bunch of neurologists who have ruled out auto immune things (thank God).

Other tests taken:

MRI of Brain
Blood tests (lots)
MRI of Cervical Spine

Just having a hard time pinning a diagnosis.

Is it lyme? Is it not? Is there a raging infection or do the test results just show past exposure?

Like many people out there, we've been told to see a good Psychiatrist. That would be ok but like a lot of folks, we think something is wrong psychologically.

Is it lyme? Does it make sense?

Or are we just looking for a diagnosis and lyme is the catchall?

Please help. Thank you. All advice is appreciated.

PS. Lots of neurological issues, involuntary movements, myoclonus, muscle twitches/spasms, weakness, fatigue, weight loss, headaches, achey muscles, achey joints, excessive saliva, eye pain, the list goes on and on.

Posts: 165 | From lymeland | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks to me like it's enough to get a diagnosis by an LLMD. It's not a strong positive, but you have a low CD 57 and as you mentioned, the positive erlichia test as well.

Your vitamin D is also low. My doctor wants my vitamin D above 50, at least.

Remember Lyme Disease is a mutl-faceted illness. The whole body takes a hard hit and more is wrong than *just* Lyme. You have to make the whole body strong so it can fight the viruses and bacteria.

Are you seeing an LLMD who can help you sort this all out?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get copies of your viral tests. Showing a "bunch of antibodies" is not helpful. You need to know how many antibodies of which kind to do you any good.

For info on HHV-6 see: http://www.hhv-6foundation.org/testing.htm

For Coxsackie see: http://www.enterovirusfoundation.org/chronicinfections.shtml
It is best to test for this at ARUP lab. Coxsackie is not a fun pathogen to have...I have it...and I have lots of neurological problems.

For mycoplasma see if your antibody titers are 1:200 or so or above...that may indicate active, chronic infection.

See what your CMV is....if it's way high, that may indicate a problem. Mine is in the 5s (I think that is where it's at...) and the doctors are not concerned...

Consider getting retested for Ehrlichia at another lab...maybe Focus Diagnsotics or SUNY Stonybrook to see if they concur.

Lyme doesn't look as likely since you have so few bands. (most people test positive for band 41).

Good luck!
Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfcharm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfcharm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jeff,

I live in San Francisco and had severe neuro lyme with myoclonus, body jerks, bells palsy, tremors, body wide twitches, etc.,

I have lyme and was in remission for the last 2 1/2 years. I treated quite aggressively with orals for a year including bicillin shots (4.8 weekly).

After a year I was still having the myoclonus and decided to do Rocephin IV for one year. I did and all my symptoms resolved.

About two months ago I started getting severe nerve pain. It has progressed now to body wide nerve pain. I truly suspect it is lyme that is active again.

I started treatment with oral antibiotics and hope to see some resolution soon. Lyme needs to be treated aggressively, especially neuro lyme.

Posts: 281 | From san francisco | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffinca11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffinca11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys. Thank you for the response.

Here's some more information.

Sixgoofykids:

Yes, we have seen a few llmds. One stated that he thought it was neuro lyme with co infections.

Another one stated that he wasn't sure if it was lyme. Wasn't convinced.

So were back to square on as the blood work was less than definitive.

Timaca, here's the info. Maybe you can tell me what you think:

HHV-6:

(Positive is >1.10)

CMV:

(Positive is >1.0)

Mycoplasma:

(indeterminate: 100 - 320, postive: >320)

Coxsacki:

1:16 (neg: <1.8)

SFCharm:

Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me who you see in SF as your LLMD? We are thinking of going to a pretty famous doctor upthere and was wondering if thats who you saw.

Def. neuro lyme if it's lyme. I'm sorry for your pain. It's such a terrible illness.

Really, we hope to nail down a diagnosis so we can start treatment.

Please let us know what you think. Such an awful awful illness.

Posts: 165 | From lymeland | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google LDseronegativity for many reasons why patients (particularly the sickest ones) main get fewer bands than you.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jeff~
You need to test for Coxsackie at ARUP lab. Other labs don't do a good job of it. See:
http://www.enterovirusfoundation.org/chronicinfections.shtml

HHV-6 is best tested at Focus Diagnostics lab. See: http://www.hhv-6foundation.org/testing.htm I am not familiar with that reference range for that pathogen, as mine is done at Focus and titers are used to report the results (eg: 1:320, not 2.85). However, your result doesn't look too high, so it may not be a problem for you (but if you want to be sure, get tested at Focus).

My CMV is in the mid 4s...about half of what yours is and my doctors are not concerned. My Parvo is in the 7s and my doctors are not concerned. I've not had a pathogen in the 9s, like your CMV is, so I don't know what the doctors would say about that.

If I were you, I'd get retested for Ehrlichia at Focus or SUNY Stonybrook (or both), perhaps ask a doctor about CMV and possibly get tested for coxsackie B and echovirus at ARUP.

Good luck,
Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A full IGeneX Western blot panel for Lyme IS pretty sensitive but is NOT definitive.
The bands shown on your results would give most any LLMD reason to suspect Lyme, especially if you are "Lyme symptomatic".
(I also don't like that CD-57 count at only 64.
It *should* be up over 100-150, atleast... if Lyme is NOT involved.)

But most importantly, 'jeffinca', Lyme is a CLINICAL diagnosis. The CDC agrees.
The opening paragraph for diagnosis of Lyme, from thier Website:
"Lyme disease is diagnosed based on symptoms, objective physical findings (such as erythema migrans, facial palsy, or arthritis), and a history of possible exposure to infected ticks. Validated laboratory tests can be very helpful but are not generally recommended when a patient has erythema migrans." [Lyme rash]
<http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/ld_humandisease_diagnosis.htm>

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Now why did that link not turn blue? Let's try..)

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/ld_humandisease_diagnosis.htm

Oh, & you said, "we think something is wrong psychologically".
I think you meant "physiologically". So do I.

BTW, ehrliochiosis doesn't usually travel alone. [Wink]

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weak positive (IND) to band 39. Nothing (nothing) can cause that to react except the Lyme disease bacteria. AND it's an IgM band, to boot, which means it's recently replicated.

You have Lyme disease.

--------------------
Myalgic encephalomyelitis, 2002 | Viral onset, following Hep B vaccine
Lyme since '06 | Bartonella since '08 (cured) | Mycoplasma pneumoniae since '08
IGeneX: IgM 31IND 34IND 41+ | IgG 39IND 58+ 41+++
IgG deficiencies and MTHFR 677TT mutations

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4Seasons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4Seasons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter's first IGneneX WB was not definitive, but her symptomology was, so our "pretty famous doctor" put her on Zithromax for three weeks to encourage her body to mount an immune response. Next test was IgM positive.

This test was positive.

Plus, she was miserable on the abx.

You may want to talk to an LLMD about an antibiotic challenge.

BTW, my daughter went through hell for two + years and is now doing so, so well. So grateful (I'm next).

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Posts: 450 | From California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffinca11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25584

hi guys. thank you for the feedback.

kete:

i guess your right about it being a clinical diagnosis as we have not been able to get any other diagnosis besides "psychogenic" from university doctors.

and yes, i meant to say physiologicallyl, not psychological. stupid spell checker!

yes, the ehrlichiosis is a big clue. one doctor said that it could just be showing exposure, but our pcp disagrees.

litle oilve:

band 39 is a good indicator then. i didn't know that. thank you.

4seasons:

i'm glad things worked out for your daughter. can you pm with the name of your llmd?

any other feedback is duly appreciated.

is an antibiotic urine challenge test worth doing?

jeffinca11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25584

^
Babbs
Member # 27887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Babbs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, you should be treating that Vit D level. It should be at lease 50 if not closer to 80 or so. I felt a great deal better after mine went up. You can use 4000 units of OTC Vit D daily or talk to your doctor about 50,000 units once a week to get you up to where you need to be. Good luck!
Posts: 31 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffinca11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25584

Hi Babbs.

How would I get 50000 units? Is it an IV injection? Do I need a prescription?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement