LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Still positive by IGM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Still positive by IGM
nybasketball212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nybasketball212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does testing positive for Lyme by IGM ALWAYS necessarily mean that the infection is still active and needs more treatment?

Or do some continue to test positive by IGM for awhile even after they are symptom free?

Posts: 306 | From NY | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
How do you feel?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^this. + i hear that you can test positive indefintely. even after you have been symptom free.

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a test for antibodies. My LLMD said once you have the confirmation of Lyme, from then on, you go by symptoms.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nybasketball212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nybasketball212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I've treated with a doxy, IV Rocephin, biaxin and plaquenil, all with literally 0% improvement.

And I had another positive test by IGM. It's just frustrating being only 21 years old and having 0 improvement. I had a babs test come back 1:64 only by IGG, and same for bartonella.

I'm currently awaiting more Babesia testing from Igenex.

Posts: 306 | From NY | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You never need another lyme test. As for lyme, it can take anywhere from a few months to years. But, for many at the 3 or 4 year mark they should improvement.

I don't know why you had another babesia test if one was already positive.

All this testing seems excessive. Are you sure you are seeing an ILADS-educated LLMD?

They would not keep doing repeat tests when positives were already done. AND they'd know to tell you that treatment can take awhile. You've been at it for four months. While that is a lot, it's still just a start.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a bit confused... you are still experiencing symptoms, and have a positive test. Where's the disconnect?
Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nybasketball212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28309

All the Babesia testing was sent out at the same time, so the Quest ones came back before the Igenex testing. And the Dr. does not seem to believe I require Babesia treatment since it was only 1:64 only by IGG.

5vforest- The disconnect is I am 21 years old and was only symptomatic for a few weeks before starting treatment and have seen 0% improvement. I'd be more than willing to continue Lyme treatment if I even saw a little improvement. I've had to withdraw from college and am completely deabilitated with all neurological symptoms along with overwhelming fatigue. No joint issues.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/15820

PROGRESS & SUCCESS STORIES

==================================

http://tinyurl.com/5crsjv

Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic (2008) - by Pamela Weintraub

This details what an entire family went through. Having this knowledge of their journey will help others to get better, faster treatment. You can follow the author's progress at her blog. She is doing quite well.

http://www.cureunknown.com

==========================

http://www.underourskin.com

Documentary: UNDER OUR SKIN

DVD can be obtained through the site � or maybe borrowed from local support groups.

==========================

In addition to the usual coinfections from ticks (such as babesia, bartonella, ehrlichia, RMSF, etc.), there are some other chronic stealth infections that an excellent LLMD should know about:
----------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=069911#000000

TIMACA posted 03 August, 2008

I would encourage EVERY person who has received a lyme diagnosis to get the following tests.

- at link.
-

JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ny-im like you. i have neuro only. im only 30 with no prior health issues and i started treatment 4 weeks after symptoms started. ive been in treatment 14 months and the last week i felt as bad as when i started.

i have seen months though were i feel 80-90%. i would think you should see some improvement with a couple of months of treatment. feel cured after 3 months? no. feel slight improvement? i would hope so. what is your LLMD saying about all this?

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well just because you all of a sudden came down with these symptoms doesnt mean that is when you were bit, it could have been "hiding" and something made it come out. as for 2 months of your treatment (from your sig.-- dont know how long you have been on biax/plaq) thats not a lot of time at all, it took me 4 months to have a "decent" day. its been over a year and altough im much better i still have lingering symptoms.

its a loooong road, hang in there it does get better.

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nybasketball212:

5vforest- The disconnect is I am 21 years old and was only symptomatic for a few weeks before starting treatment and have seen 0% improvement. I'd be more than willing to continue Lyme treatment if I even saw a little improvement. I've had to withdraw from college and am completely deabilitated with all neurological symptoms along with overwhelming fatigue. No joint issues.

Sorry if my post didn't sound empathetic. I'm actually in a very similar situation to you... although my onset was a little less sudden, and I've only been treating for a few weeks now. I was going to start university this fall, but alas, I am at home living with my parents, barely able to leave the house.

I think the fact that you have a positive test result should be affirming. Assuming you have a good LLMD, it seems like you're on the right path.

Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just my opinion based on hubby.

I would suggest either a trial of babesia or bartonella meds. Specifically I would probably try artemisin. Ad for bart probably levaquin. But not at the same time. Try thenm separately. I would also probably try some Buhner herbs such as andrographis.

Everyone is different but I would expect some improvement after 3 or 4 months especially since 1 of those months was on IV Rocephin. But that is assuming all infections are being treated and obviously you have not specifically treated coinfections.

And if your doc will not treat coinfections without positive tests then maybe a Clongen bloodslide would convince him. At only $100 it might be worth checking out.

Do you have what appear to be babesia symptoms? Have you been tested for both babesia microti and babesia duncani (WA1). Hubby just found out after being sick for 10 years that he has babesia duncani -- had not been tested in the past because he was not from the West Coast. We had treated for babs multiple times based on symptoms, but WA1 requires a minimum of 1 year continuous treatment and we always stopped treating after 4 or 6 months in the past.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement