LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » hyperammonemia and fat and diet considerations and information

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hyperammonemia and fat and diet considerations and information
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.drjerniganblog.com

Due to the recent discovery that people with Lyme disease universally suffer from hyperammonemia, the excessive accumulation of ammonia in the liver, jaws, heart, and brain, and in rare cases the entire body, certain dietary changes can help reduce the severity of the symptoms of Lyme disease.

see link for rest of article...

See below for another diet and food considerations that are supposed to be helping many with symptom relief as well as getting the body into a state that discourages growth and survival of these bugs we are trying to rid ourselves of...

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

A diet that takes out near all fats and is recommended and reported to be helping tremendously with symptoms.

I am starting this and will hope to report back with some good results.

The article on Hyperammonemia should be taken into consideration too

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pass

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll put it this way -- if you have ever had hepatic encephalopathy (due to elevated blood ammonia) you would know it without question. Hubby had this problem for 4 or 5 months after his first treatment with IV Rocephin in 2003.

And he was on VSL#3 plus other probiotics. The cause was determined to be an overgrowth of several ammonia producing bacteria in the gut including klebsiella. Oral levaquin resolved this problem within a couple of weeks. Several nutritional supplements from his ACAM doc did nothing.

Symptoms were confusion and movement disorder issues greatly increased after high protein meals.

Springshowers,

Someone else recently posted about the McDougall diet -- but they never answered my question. Supposedly this is being recommended by Dr F but for which bug -- the protozoan or the haemobartonella?????

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:URovCUP-a2YJ:planetthrive.com/2010/04/emerging-type-iii-diabetes-theory-of-autism/+galactose+ammonia+klinghardt&cd=3&hl=en&ct=c lnk&gl=us
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Its around the protozoan
CedarWidow
Member # 27541

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CedarWidow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first article is very confusing! Help. It states that we should avoid becoming overly alkaline through diet, as it will over-alkalinize areas of the body such as the liver, heart, jaws and brain with tend to accumulate ammonia and exacerbate symptoms. So avoiding the typical "fresh fruits and vegetables diet, and drinking alkalinized water" gig is out.

THEN, it states to avoid arginine, which is high in the following foods: meat of any kind, dairy, nuts & seeds, soybeans, carob, coconut, chocolate, gelatin, oats, white flour, wheat, wheat germ, buckwheat, granola, oatmeal.

What does this leave to eat? Fish & Beans? What diet are we supposed to follow?

Posts: 24 | From Maine | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i understand this is meant to be helpful but im so frustrated.

i totally agree cedar. ive been jumping through one hoop to the next on diet issues giving up this and that then starting this an that. all the while ingesting tons of supplements.

now let me get this straight; no fruit, no sugar, meat of any kind, dairy, nuts & seeds, soybeans, coconut, gelatin, oats, white flour, wheat, granola, oatmeal.

im 130 pounds and struggling to keep at that.

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Pass

I'm with you, Lymetoo.
I feel best on low carb/moderate protein/high fat. I can't speak for others but I felt awful on a low fat diet, I just kept gaining weight and getting sicker.

Cholesterol is necessary to build healthy cell membranes and fat is necessary in so many body processes, vitamin usage, and great for nerve health.

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flyinpiker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flyinpiker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Agree Ruby. That is the exact diet I do well on. Any efforts to "alkalize" or eat more veggies results in disaster.
Posts: 101 | From Living in the Now | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flyinpiker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flyinpiker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GiGi:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:URovCUP-a2YJ:planetthrive.com/2010/04/emerging-type-iii-diabetes-theory-of-autism/+galactose+ammonia+klinghardt&cd=3&hl=en&ct=c lnk&gl=us

So has this galactose surfaced anywhere? I'm ready to pump out some ammonia if there's any beef to his claim!
Posts: 101 | From Living in the Now | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flyinpiker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19589

Here is a more direct link to what I believe the original poster was bringing to our attention.

I agree with everyone else in that what the heck does he expect us to eat? I guess maybe the better way is to really think about what you eat and how your body reacts to it. If you are having issues then maybe cut some of the culprit foods out (???)

I definitely can relate to the whole over-alkaline thing.

His take on:
(ammonia (NH3) + arginine + manganese = increased nitric oxide (NO) up to 53% in astrocytes (brain cells), leading to increased brain swelling

Get's my attention when it comes to some of my brain burning sensations after foods.

http://www.drjerniganblog.com/articles/health-myths/1225#more-1225

[ 02-17-2011, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Flyinpiker ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement