LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme disease and COUGHING?????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme disease and COUGHING?????
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymegal23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So one of the first abnormal symptoms I started getting back in the summer before all of this was that when in a hot shower I would feel short of breathe and it scared me. around that same time i started noticing a constant tickle in my throat. and a cough that wouldnt go away.

I'm just wondering if its lyme related? Ive never heard anyone on these boards talk about coughing and tickling in throat as a lyme symptom. I would have to believe its related seeing that it came along the same time I was having shortness of breathe in hot showers, which ive heard is also lyme symptom

any connection between unexplained coughing and lyme?

Posts: 995 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely. It could also be an indication of Babesia. I found that a lot of my throat issues were caused by Babs.
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also had a chronic cough to raise some light phlem. Seems to wane with other symptoms like my runny nose, and sneezing. I noticed this
about year before Lyme was diagnosted. Still working on seeing if Bart or Babs in in the picture. Arthritis, muscle weakness and foggy head are worse symptoms, rest just a nuisance.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gmb:
I've also had a chronic cough to raise some light phlem. Seems to wane with other symptoms like my runny nose, and sneezing. I noticed this
about year before Lyme was diagnosted.

I have this too! But only at night while I'm sleeping - I get a flemy cough and I cough all night. Sometimes it will be several nights in a row and others just one night. I get a litte stuffed up and think "I'm getting a cold"

I always have a runny nose and sneeze frequenly.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymegal23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats so funny. it must be irritation or inflammation from the lyme and toxins etc...at least thats what id hafta assume. hopefully someone can explain why lyme causes that.

I just always feel like i have a tickle in the bottom of my throat, like in the middle of my collar bones. I dont have any phlegm tho. and my breathing is fine. thats when my primary care doctor was so puzzled.

Posts: 995 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Sounds like this is not going on right now?

A hot shower can be too stressful for a weak body. WARM is best. And you might consider a new shower head as they can harbor germs. See note below.

Are you gluten-free? Dairy-free? Casein-free? Scent-free?

Primary care doctors are often puzzled by lyme patients. I had a cough, tickle, pain in my throat/lungs for 20 straight years and no primary doctor ever figured it out.

Everything about body function is compromised for someone with any tick-borne infection. Everything.

Babesia causes a lot of lung problems but so can just lyme, itself.

And Cpn, too. But - again - a million things can be going on.

Be sure your LLMD knows if this is on-going.

sure nutrients and self-care are tip-top. Black Elderberry tincture often helps for lungs - and of course, CORYDCEPS and Vitamin C.

===================================

www.cpnhelp.org

Cpn Help - [Cph is Chlamydia Pneumonia]

====================================

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/16/2688081.htm

Taking a shower can 'damage your health'

By Bronwyn Herbert for The World Today

Excerpts:

. . . Leah Feazel, who led the three-year study, says 30 per cent of the shower heads studied housed significant levels of a micro-organism linked to lung disease. . . .

. . . mycobacterium avium in a significant number of shower heads. Mycobacterium avium can cause tuberculosis-like disease in people who are immune compromised.

"If you are prone to infections, so if you have an immune disease of some sort, which is HIV or AIDS or cystic fibrosis, or if you're on immune-suppressing drugs then yes, you are at risk in the shower," she continued.

"If you're a healthy person with a healthy immune system, you don't need to worry at all. You've been showering every day of your whole life and you haven't been sick."

And Ms Feazel says cleaning the shower heads does not reduce the amount of bacteria.

"We tested bleaching shower heads and we actually found that we had more of the mycobacteria after bleaching than we did before," she said. . . .

. . . The researchers sampled shower heads in cities across the United States, including Manhattan, Memphis and Chicago.
Ms Feazel says there were nine cities in seven states, and 45 shower head sites. . . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

I agree with psano2, sounds like babesiosis.

Short of breath in a steamy room; terror in a sauna!

lymegal23, you can have many of your questions answered by reading and re-reading ILADS Dr B's Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines (16th edition, Oct 2008). Babesia symptoms
On Page 23, "occasional cough"
On Page 26, "dry cough without apparent reason."

Also on Page 23, "as many as 66% of Lyme patients show serologic evidence of co-infection with Babesia microcoti."

A study released in Nov 2010 showed Babesia duncani is more common nationwide than most think. Up to 4% of the population may be infected. Most are unaware.

Be gentle with your esophagus. Try aloe vera juice morning and night. Drink marshmallow root tea, and Throat Coat tea by Traditional Medicinals.

You may also wish to do a search for "cough."

Best wishes,
Smile

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

so how exactly does the lyme cause the tickle. is it like inflammation?
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

lymegal23, the tickle you describe could be an irritation at the base of your esophagus.

When you are having symptoms, sleep nearly upright in a recliner or propped in the corner of a couch. A good long-term health measure is "incline bed therapy." Basically, add an inch of wood under your headboard each week until your bed is at an incline so you sleep with head elevated. Do a websearch for better explanation.

Take Spirulina between meals on an empty stomach. In addition to balancing blood sugar levels, spirulina inhibits tumors. Esophageal cancer is a risk, so keep your diet free of excess fat, dairy, and gluten. Less inflammation decreases cancer risks.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/romarkaraoke/whento.htm

When to Suspect Lyme - by 
John D. Bleiweiss, M.D.

Excerpt:

. . . Many patients have symptoms intensify or reappear with physical and emotional stress, if sleep deprived, after exercise, in a hot bath, after alcohol consumption, with fasting (hypoglycemia) or dehydration. . . .

. . . Typically, heat intolerance is revealed as irritability, headache, excessive perspiration or sleepiness. . . .

[inflamed, irritated red arches in the back side of throat] . . . Crimson crescents, portrayed as diagnostic for CFS, I have detected in LD where the diagnosis was secure. . . .

. . . The more commonly noticed neurologic deficits involve one or more cranial nerves (I thru XII), most often the sensory divisions of the trigeminal (V) and the motor components of the facial (VII) nerves in my patients. . . . .

-- [look up a chart for the cranial nerves at Wiki and you will see that they involve the throat, too.]
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement