LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How much is too much probiotic??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much is too much probiotic??
mookie333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mookie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the right amount? I take 2 vsl 3 a day.

I have a wheat allergy and fighting yeast with a clean diet and diflucan.

To top it off on bicillin shots and will start flagyl next week.

I've been visiting the rest room a little too much and wonder if I need more probiotic or less? I drink about 12 oz unsweeneted cocnut kefir everday too. Thanks!

Posts: 151 | From south east | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also take 2 vsl3 powder 435billion each per day. I also am fighting a yeast infection and taking diflucan now.

There was a mention of starting shots next month but I too am living in the bathroom way too much so I am not sure if I will start until this clears up first.

I never heard of the Cocnut Kefir? Is that good for yeast too? Where do you find it? I take chlorella also and not sure what it is for? Just took the suggestion from people on this site.

Guess we have much to learn.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mookie333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mookie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at whole foods or your health food store they sell a cultured unsweetend coconut milk.

I drink it every eve with my probiotics and chlorella too. Do you think it could be the chlorella??

Or maybe I need to up the vsl 3. I sweeten the kefir with a bit of lemon or mango flavored stevia. Makes me feel like Im having something sweet at night.

I think we have a ton to learn!

Posts: 151 | From south east | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mookie333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26021

Oops I think all the cultured drinks are good for yeast if they don't have any added sugar.

I'm allergic to milk so coconut is my only option. sigh....

Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The right amount of probiotics is individual.

Some people can take less and others need more.

Generally speaking, the more probiotics you take, the more firm your bowel movements might be since they will restore the good bacteria that the abx has killed.

However, it depends on the reason for the loose bowels.

Are you taking oral antibiotics or just IM right now?

Is there anything else in the kefir that may cause this?

Have you started anything else new, such as stevia, that could be causing a problem?

I'm not sure what time of day you are taking your probiotics, but I was told to take my probiotics at night when they could work all night and I wasn't eating.

You could increase the amt of probiotics you take and see if that helps.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At Annier-I was told to take Chlorella tablets by my LLMD to detox from heavy metals.

It also has other health benefits as well.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may be drinking too much Kefir. Otherwise, you can't take too many probiotics in pill form especially when one has lyme. You should stick to plain Kefir for the best results.

Chlorella is used to as a binder and to chelate out heavy metals mainly, thou; it has other benefits. Not sure you should be on it, if you are not on a heavy metal chelation protocol from

your doctor. Never mess with heavy metals by yourself and without a professional protocol. You will be opening up a Pandora's box you will wish you never had.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mookie333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26021

I drink my kefir and take my vsl and chlorella at night before I go to bed. Right now

I am only in inject Bicillin and diflucan, about 1 month ago when I started the diflucan I had the opposite problem.

Now, the bicillin has been just 2 doses. I can imagine that the kefir being a problem. As I've been drinking that for about 3 months now.

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry some how I read 24 oz. or Kefir!
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geez, i take a ton of probiotics. only thing is i get gas...(doesn't smell tho)...lol

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonnie26
Member # 27952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonnie26   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could too many probiotics cause constipation? Bloating and const. are my big issues, but I thought it was the yeast.

--------------------
Not officially diagnosed

Posts: 15 | From AZ | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pray for constipation!!! I have never dealt with this issue in all of my life. It got worse since they put me on diflucan now for the yeast infection. Are you allowed to use immodium or something like that with lyme?

Should I up the probiotics? Each packet of VSL3 is 425 billion. I take one at night before bed.Should I use more or is it the cause of this "sore bum!!"

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonnie26
Member # 27952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonnie26   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the diflucan has something to do with it? I am on that right now and am going a lot too, but it is a huge relief for me, since I am usually having the opposite problem.

--------------------
Not officially diagnosed

Posts: 15 | From AZ | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
diflucann with biaxin gave me diahhrea. stopped when i stopped the meds.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read 4 oz kefir is sufficient for daily use.
i use coconut kefir b/c its low sugar and non dairy. and i love it!

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Annier, you may want to add saccharomyces boulardii to see if it controls the diarrhea. In general, being on ABX can cause diarrhea.

If it does not clear up, mention it to your doctor. I doubt you could develop it so soon but serious diarrhea is a sign of C. difficile, which you would need to be tested for and treated for differently.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement