LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bart or Bab?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bart or Bab?
Toboein
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toboein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im asking those of you with experience, to give me your thoughts and opinions.

My LLMD believes i have a co infection, but neither of us are sure which one. i have symptoms of both, and dont know which to treat!

My main symptom is breathing trouble, much like air hunger but its constant. it doesnt stop. it does ease up a bit but it never goes away. It kind of like im breathing air thats too thin or not rich in oxygen, and sometimes its like im being squeezed and i cant breathe in all the way to save my own life, which sometimes i feel i need to.

My other symptoms are:

often a racing heart when i stand up, POTS

extremely cold hands and feet

chest pains, pressures, tightness, itching, all sorts of weird feelings in my chest.

stabbing pains in my ribs

occasionally blurry vision in my right eye, burning feeling in eyes

headaches when i wake up, that go away quickly

severe mood swings

anxiety up the butt. and severe problems falling asleep. im soo ready to sleep but my body or brain just says NOOPE. it feels like waves of the fight or flight response when i try to fall asleep. cant take it

please give me your thoughts. the only med im on is a low dose of doxy 100mg BID. i know thats like practically nothing but i see my LLMD tomorrow and im scared he will treat babs and it will turn out to be bart or ill try bart and itll be babs. i cant afford the test.

also - i NEVER sweat, and have a low body temp

I just want to be able to breath, honestly, all the other symptoms are quite tolerable but the suffocating feeling is ruining, and has ruined my life.

--------------------
A tiny bug no bigger than a pimple on your butt can change your life.

Posts: 101 | From Southern NJ | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say definitely Babs, due to the air hunger, racing heart, POTS, Cold feet, headaches and anxiety.. but you may also have Bart because of the chest issues.. I have those myself and have Bart and Lyme.

You don't have to sweat to have Babs, not everyone gets the night sweats..

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toboein
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toboein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks lu

im just so eager to get rid of the air hunger, i dont want to try something and wait it out, i want to get rid of it!

--------------------

Posts: 101 | From Southern NJ | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to post so I could keep up with this. I am in the same boat as you. I have the same symptoms but a negative co-infection test. My doc says it could just be the Lyme....but she's treating me for Bart. However, after seeing another post on the symptoms of Babesia they are exactly like you mentioned above and like Lu said they sound like Babs. I really wonder if I need to be treated for Babs instead. Or heck, just be treated for all of them! I'd like to know what you get treated for and how you feel.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toboein
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22635

jadams - ill def keep you posted. do you have air hunger constantly? that was my first initial problem. breathing is such a chore for me, i am never relaxed.

if it is babs, i hope the herx doesnt make the breathing worse because id probably suffocate!

--------------------

canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BOTH
Why do people assume it's one or the other?

Keep in mind Bartonella surfaces much more than Lyme and/or Babs.

So you may have Bart at the surface but Babs and/or Lyme right underneath it.

Lyme is the undercover FBI agent.

Bart is the idiot waving his gun in the street.

Babs is the sidekick just along for the ride.

(I'm bored this Friday night hehe)

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a similar experience of not knowing whether some symptoms were bart or babesia, and one drug that seems to work for those for me is bactrim DS (Septra)- not all LLMD's agree on what coinfection it treats, but for me, it seems to help the 'whateveritis' problems.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tobein - Sorry your air hunger is so bad. Yes, I do have air hunger constantly. I am always out of breath and feel like I can't take in enough air. I feel like a weight is on my chest.

I'm never relaxed either. I always feel extreme anxiety, and have the racing heart issues which is the worst symptom for me. Breathing, anxiety, and racing heart are the worst symptoms I have. I will let you know how I do on the Bart treatment also (pick up meds tomorrow).

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toboein
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22635

thanks jadams, i hope you do well

those are my biggest symptoms too

maria - bactrim gave me a wild herx before i stopped last year, i think it might be what im going to get from my LLMD tomorrow so im sure ill be hurting.

Cane - i love the imagery. i would imagine babesia not only to be along for the ride, but be sneaking in a little extra goods for himself behind BB and Barts backs.

--------------------

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for Babs treatment. Though you may not be out of the woods after that.

good luck.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree you probably have it all. Babesia is very obvious.

There is controversy about which infections to treat first. Some LLMD believe you should treat lyme first and some babesia. Some try to use a combinations of drugs that attack everything at once but that can be hard on a lot of people.

Bactrim DS is supposed to be effective against bart and babesia. I used it for about 9 months and it did not take care of the babesia. I am now on Mepron.

I would suggest you attack what is bothering you the most, which is babesia.

100mg doxy is not enough to do anything so I hope the LLMD gives you a more effective treatment. Good luck.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quicksilvermom
Member # 29949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quicksilvermom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have similar symptoms, cold feet, hands, and the feeling of not getting enough air in, sometimes its worse than others, sounds crazy but seems to get worse right after I take the doxy?? connection or not? I am going for labs on Monday for BABesia..does anyone know if it will show up or is it like the lymes test maybe maybe not? So confusing??
Posts: 6 | From nj | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement