LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » If you can't tolerate the methylation protocol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you can't tolerate the methylation protocol
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't tolerate even some of the supplements or even slivers of them, made me feel like I was on speed.

I found this on another site, author rich vank describes what the problem may be and how to help. Thought someone might find the info useful:

Quite a few PWCs have reported experiencing anxiety, a "wired" feeling, insomnia, hypersensitivity of the senses, and in some cases an elevated heart rate, especially when starting the methylation-type treatments. This is thought to be due to excitotoxicity, which means that neurons that incorporate the NMDA glutamate receptor are firing nerve impulses too rapidly because of an elevated ratio of glutamate to GABA. Glutamate is the main excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain, while GABA is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter. Glutamate can be converted into GABA by a reaction that requires vitamin B6.

Normally, the astrocytes, which are "helper" cells in the brain, are in charge of importing glutamate from the synaptic clefts (the little gaps between neurons through which the neurotransmitters convey signals from one neuron to the next) and converting it to glutamine. Then they pass the glutamine back to the neurons, so that they can use it again to make glutamate to send more signals. This is a recycling loop, and it normally keeps glutamate from going too high in the synaptic clefts.

The conversion of glutamate to glutamine by the astrocytes requires energy in the form of ATP, which is produced by the mitochondria. The mitochondria are somewhat dysfunctional in ME/CFS because of glutathione depletion and the partial methylation cycle block.

O.K., now here's why I think the excitotoxicity can worsen when methylation treatment is undertaken:

This treatment raises the activity of the enzyme methionine synthase, which is partially blocked in ME/CFS. When that happens, more of the homocysteine is converted to methionine, closing the methylation cycle. However, that means that less homocysteine enters the transsulfuration pathway, which produces cysteine, the rate-limiting amino acid for the synthesis of glutathione. So the production of glutathione goes down initially, making the glutathione depletion more severe at first. This makes the mitochondria more dysfunctional at first, lowering the ATP production. This raises the glutamate level in the synaptic clefts, and that worsens the excitotoxicity, initially. Eventually, this problem is remedied as the methylation cycle and the rest of the sulfur metabolism is restored to normal, and the mitochondria begin to function better.

So what can be done about this in the meantime? There are several things that can be tried:

1. The dosages of the supplements can be lowered. Particularly important are B12 and the folates, which stimulate methionine synthase.

2. The diet can be adjusted to lower the intake of glutamate. Things like MSG and hydrolyzed protein are especially high in glutamate, but many other foods have a lot of it, too.
In her book, Dr. Amy Yasko has presented lists of these foods.

3. Additional supplements can be taken that tend to calm the NMDA neurons. Dr. Yasko has presented lists of them in her materials. They include GABA, magnesium, taurine, Valerian, topical progesterone, theanine, and others.

4. The B6 intake can be increased. B6 is needed by the transsulfuration pathway enzymes, and also for the conversion of glutamate to GABA;, as noted above.

5. Recently I suggested that it might help to build glutathione directly at first, while doing methylation treatment, using one of the liposomal glutathione products. This might counter the initial drop in glutathione that I have described above. I have not heard from anyone who has tried this, so I don't know how well it will work.

I hope this helps. This is one of the most difficult parts to doing this treatment, and Dr.Yasko devotes considerable attention to it in her books. It is an important issue, both because it is very unpleasant and hinders the use of these types of treatments, which are ultimately very helpful to most PWCs, but also because severe neurotoxicity can damage neurons. This is the same issue that has led Dr. Cheney to prescribe Klonopin for PWCs for many years. This lowers excitotoxicity, but some people report that it is very difficult to get off it later.

Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info. You were right.

Thanks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this info Dogmom, hope you are having better luck?

Daughter is about to start this protocol. She has problems detoxing and a mold problem.

I was going to start low and slow, but add in only one supplement at a time.

Looking for experiences, guidance from posters that have done this protocol.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a link or something that explains this. I searched here for methylation protocol, but did not find much.

What is a PWC?

Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People with certain Methylation Cycle variants cannot do this protocol without doing other things first.

There is interesting info at http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

PWC I think means People With CFS/CFIDS/ME...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post. I feel terrible on high dose B- vitamins, but fine on low dose.

Very helpful. Thanks.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pardon my ignorance, but do KPU disorders involve disruptions in the methylation cycle as well? Are there diffrent disruptions for different disorders?
Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hydrolyzed protein is MSG and is one of the main ingredients of Bouillon.

I cannot tolerate Bouillon and I do not even have Lyme.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Key is to titrate up on B Vitamins if they are causing problems. I did this and now have no problems like you describe.

To do this, you need to mix your B12 in water and take a few drops throughout the day.

It takes a few weeks to get it down, but soon you will find taking a sublingual B12 is nothing and you will be able to get your levels up.

Hope that helps..

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mattnapa:
Pardon my ignorance, but do KPU disorders involve disruptions in the methylation cycle as well? Are there diffrent disruptions for different disorders?

Yes, it does.

I have KPU and I had a disrupted methylation cycle. Dr. K says you can't lift the methylation block without treating KPU, but I found this false.

I lifted my methylation block, and the difference is night and day. Literally. I no longer feel the need to take B12, Folate, P5P, etc as before my body just craved each and every dose. Oh, and believe me, you have no idea what detoxing means if you don't lift your methylation block! However, there aren't too many with experiences as profound as mine with this protocol.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may depend on where in the methylation cycle one's block(s) is/are... I have multiple variants and am going nuts trying to figure out what to do to fix them...conflicting info was provided with my test results, and noone where I am has been able to make heads or tails out of it either...too complicated!

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed with everything ya posted, dogmom. I know several folks (including myself) that have experience difficulty when addressing the methylation cycle, esp at the beginning.

As for glut. supplementation, you may want to consider glut. transdermal lotion as well. I just started using it about 2 month ago and apply it just before bed. You can get it from a compounding pharm. with an Rx, but I've been purchasing ready-made Kirkman's brand from my local one and like it so far.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement