LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » CD-57 and LATE STAGE Lyme??????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CD-57 and LATE STAGE Lyme??????
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymegal23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the CD57 isn't the end all be all of lyme tests. but I know that its a good diagnosis marker if its really low

My question is, is a low CD57 a result of LATE stage lyme or just lyme infection in general? Would someone with early disseminated lyme test very low on the CD57?? I've read it takes time for the CD57 to get very low. So is it only connected with late stage lyme (infection of at least one year?) or just lyme infection in general regardless of the stage?

[ 01-17-2011, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: lymegal23 ]

Posts: 995 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymegal23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up [Smile]
Posts: 995 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dninty9
Member # 23934

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dninty9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also very interested in knowing this ....
Posts: 17 | From Orlando | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

I'm interested too....hopefully someone comes along and enlightens us about this [Smile]
x9w5a34
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for x9w5a34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that I got infected only in the last few days of June 2010 but my CD57 was in the teens when I tested in late September. So I don't think there's any correlation between the stage of Lyme and the CD57 numbers. Of course, that's just my opinion and I could be wrong!
Posts: 100 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, but I do feel that the CD-57 is a good marker for lyme when lyme is the body's major issue.

I know for me the CD-57 has been consistently low and not fluctuating wildly.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffinca11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffinca11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys. Here's some information re: cd-57 from the 2010 Ilads conference.

http://betterhealthguy.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=216:ilads-2010-conference-takeaways&catid=42:blog&Itemid=61

Dr. Joe Burrascano shared:

"CD57 suppression may occur in XMRV as well as in Borrelia.

(Editor's Note: There was also talk at this event of Chlamydia

pneumoniae causing CD57 depression as well as a discussion of

CD57 going down when one is in the midst of a Herxheimer or

die-off reaction. Thus, it seems that CD57 may not be as

specific for Borrelia as may have been previously believed. That

said, I do still believe it is an important marker to help provide

additional insight as to whether or not someone may have Lyme

disease and when they may be able to stop antibiotic therapy

with a lower possibility of relapse.)"

Dr. Ray Stricker shared the following on the topic of testing:

Band 39 is the most specific for Borrelia

IgM Western Blot has more possibility of a false positive result
than the IgG Western Blot

CD57 may be affected by Borrelia, Chlamydia pneumoniae, and Tuberculosis

CD57 will generally go down within 3 months of infection

According to Dr. Stricker, the test is valid for children (though responses may be exaggerated) though Dr. Jones shared that he did not find it to be very helpful with children

CD57 may go down with Herxheimer reactions. Inflammation may result in a drop in CD57

Elevated CD57 such as 400 may occur. HIV patients do exist with
high CD4 counts as a corollary though the CD4 cells may not work well or function properly. Thus, CD57 can tell us the quantity of the cells but the issue may be the quality or whether or not the cells can function optimally.

(Another practitioner suggested that many cases of high CD57 show drops in CD57 results once treatment begins)

Stem cell therapy is not known to affect CD57 counts though another practitioner commented that she had seen an initial drop in CD57 after stem cell therapy with continued ongoing increases as time passed after stem cell therapy

C4a is an inflammation marker. It generally correlates with symptom presentation

C3a is an autoimmune marker

C4a can be due to infection

Posts: 165 | From lymeland | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

I thought I read somewhere tho that if a persons CD-57 is very low. like in 20 or below, that usually means theyve had lyme for at least a year?
This is the websit I read it at..

http://www.healthcentersofamerica.com/information.cfm?id=144

I guess what I want to know here is, does a REALLY low cd-57 ( 20 or below) mean that the lyme load is very high in the person. if they get the cd-57 taken BEFORE they start treatment? I'd assume if its that low it means they have a high bacteria load

anyone know any info on this?

annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same confusion. I have lyme and my most recent bit was may 2009 but wasnt diagnosed till dec 2010..symtoms became bad in june 2010 exactuly one year later.Yet my cd 57 was 175 or normal? I really do not know what it is suppose to tell.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

do you have co-infections?
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was negative for coinfections

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coinfections should be treated using clinical diagnosis, as testing is not very reliable. If you are symptomatic, your LLMD should be treating you for them.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I became sick 2 years ago and when my CD-57 was tested back in June, it was 24. So, 1.5 years after I became sick, it was low. I hadn't started treatment at that point. Not sure if it means I have a high bacteria load or not. I believe that is what the C4a is for...to see how toxic one is from infection. A really high c4a would indicate a lot of toxins from infection. I'm not sure on that though! I know my LLMD put me on deplin and methyl B-12 injections to help detox b/c of the high c4a #.
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement