LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anyone have a hard time reading?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone have a hard time reading?
tricia386
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all-

anyone have a hard time reading or spelling? For example I will see the word "where" and sometimes I say were...I dunno its a mix between my eyes hurt to much to focus and sometimes I cant comprehend the words and I need to keep re-reading ugh......is this a lyme symptom or a coinfection symptom?

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uo

--------------------

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

up

--------------------

momofthree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momofthree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter and I both have/had this. Sometimes my daughter, 20, says it looks like she is trying to read a foreign language. Other times she is fine. I had this for a long time but it has cleared up now.

I believe it is from Bart. I could not talk at times. Everything came out differently than I was thinking in my head.

It has gone away totally for me and my daughter only has some rough days.

Posts: 303 | From green bay, wi | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

Ya I am only 24 yrs old and I am struggaling with this disease I think sometimes I will never get better I am so scared

--------------------

momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son can not read at all and I have days when my letters are all jumbled when I type. I have to think really hard about it.

I don't retain information well and have to take lots of notes. Lately, I cannot remember places I have been and that seems to be getting worse.

This will all get better when the toxins are released. Keep on plugging along!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Far beyond just how to suspect lyme, the first article below could also be used as sort of "owner's manual" - at least in explaining a lot of what happens to a lyme patient.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/romarkaraoke/whento.htm

When to Suspect Lyme - by 
John D. Bleiweiss, M.D.

Excerpts:

. . . Attempts to indulge avocational or vocational pursuits is frequently interdicted by either the languor of Lyme or by encephalopathy. . . .

. . . impairment of concentration, inattention, easy confusion or disorientation when attempting intellectual tasks. . . .

. . . Lyme patients can be easily irritated by anyone just walking into the same room even though eye contact is never made or words exchanged. . . .

. . . Incidentally, hyperaccusis (sound sensitivity) can be a feature of VII neuritis. . . .

. . . Eye related problems in LD are commonplace . . . .

. . . disorganization, an inability to follow a train of thought . . . .

. . . Others forgot how to spell even simple words, how to read or must re-read with varying degrees of comprehension. One patient drove to Philadelphia instead of the desired Princeton destination because the initial letters were identical and confused him. . . . .

- Full article at link above - and it explains so much more.

-- As the text to this article is very squashed, be sure to copy, paste, enlarge print and print out for easier reading. If you can get a friend to add in space breaks and print out for you, that would be easier on your eyes.

It is very important to read this before you move on. It answers so many questions and helps us have more patience with and love for ourselves. That is really important.

================================

As the inner/middle ear system (vestibular system) is the first that detects toxins in the body and then is thrown off the tracks a bit, detail about how the vestibular system throws us curve balls when it is under stress is vital to our understanding of how to wait it out at times &/or to change what we can at other times.

First, you may need to change all your light bulbs. Avoid fluorescent bulbs. That alone may be of tremendous help. Other suggestions in the tinnitus thread below.
------------

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

VESTIBULAR SYMPTOMS (That also frequently go along with lyme & other tick-borne infections)

================================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/101351

Topic: who has this weird symptom(jump vision)

Nystagmus thread

=======================

http://vestibular.org/images/pdf/Vision%20Challenges%20with%20Vestibular%20Disorders_VEDApubF31.pdf

Vision Challenges with Vestibular Disorders

Seven-page publication from VEDA

==========================

Specifically for LYME patients - lots of details about ears and what can help. LIVER and ADRENAL and MITOCHONDRIAL matters are all discussed here, too, as they affect the ears.
----------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

===============================

Ototoxic drugs will affect our ability to read - in many ways. So, since lyme is a very toxic infection itself but some drugs that may stress the ears may be necessary - we have to take the very best care of our liver as possible.

The thread above has many posts concerning LIVER SUPPORT.

Still, if there are adjunct Rx that are not necessary to treatment of lyme (and they may be on the ototoxic lists) eliminating those (with perhaps support supplements that are easier on our liver and kidneys) will help us to be able to read and think better.

============================

There are at least 743 drugs that are known to be ototoxic. Here are just 84 of them:

http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/ototoxicupheaval.htm

==================================

http://tinyurl.com/yhdw78n (through Amazon)

You can look inside this book and read customer reviews here:

Ototoxic Drugs Exposed: Prescription Drugs and Other Chemicals That Can (and Do) Damage Our Ears

- by Neil G. Bauman
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely have trouble reading, my mind wandering some evenings every other second to where I've no clue what I just read...but I'm also having partial seizures, too. So is it seizure activity that is causing this? You might want to look into it. Apparently diagnosing this type of seizure (as opposed to grand mals) is as hit and miss as diagnosing Lyme. I'm forunate in that I had one driving and it was witnessed by both a neighbor and paramedics.

As far as mixing up words, I think I do that more frequently typing...like typing table instead of trouble or where instead of were...

--------------------
Urge Congress on EMF Safety, FCC Must Change Exposure Guidelines for Microwave Radiation Exposure: http://tinyurl.com/2cjq54y
Halt Universal Broadband, A Public Health Hazard:
http://tinyurl.com/3x7xrmq

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same issues. I have to check my spelling and what I have written over and over. I write the wrong word all the time and leave words out. I cannot think of words.

There have been times when my ability to focus was so poor I forgot what I had read almost as quickly as I read it. It is frustrating as I try so hard to understand things but can't retain it.

There has been a lot of improvement and now that I am treating babesia, which I never addressed before, I hope I can get more.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micheledeleo
Member # 28077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micheledeleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problem, but it has improved after only months of treatment.

--------------------
Michele Morales

Posts: 3 | From Cedar Grove, New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

i hope mine does...micheledeleo....what coinfections did u have?

--------------------

SashaC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SashaC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely! I had to buy reading glasses, but they don't help much. When I type, usually the first and last letters are correct, but the middle of the words are totally jumbled.

If I don't reread what I'm typing at least three times, it looks lkie tihs!

Posts: 151 | From SW US | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Reading glasses will not help if the problems are as described in links above such as connected with the inner ear / nystagmus - or from nerve or brain swelling.

Certain colored lenses can help, to a degree, by reducing glare. IRLEN LENSES (as used with dyslexia) can be a nice support along the way. See:

www.irlen.com
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement