LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Liver ALT elevated

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Liver ALT elevated
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I need some help

I was on Minocycline

Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquinil)

Metronidazole (flagyl) pulsed mon-wed

for 4 months straight

my liver ALT was elevated and was told to take 2 weeks off antibiotics... I rechecked and it went up again after 2 weeks.

was told to go another 2 weeks

now they say it got better so it's ok to start up the mino but stay off the Flagyl and Plaquinil

I was thinking the mino might be more toxic to the liver than the others?

any thoughts.. I heard another lyme friend mention mino messed up her ALT

in the month I stopped antibiotics first 2 weeks sucked... second 2 weeks felt great even been working out in the gym... I know it's still in me but I feel fine...

what are your thoughts? should I restart minocycline?

I was considering going with Byron White products

do you think this might be a better choice conidering my liver and I am not terribly sick at this point?

thanks for any advise

Paul

Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pippi
Member # 21151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pippi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my experience with elevated liver levels, for what it's worth. Individual reactions seem to vary tremendously.

I have had 2 rounds of Flagyl in my 2 years of treatment. (ongoing)

Round 1 (1.5 years ago), I took Flagyl for 3 months, with Biaxin and amoxcil.

After 3 months, my LLMD thought I might have a yeast overgrowth and prescribed nystatin and diflucan and said to stop taking flagyl.

After 2 weeks of no flagyl, my AST and ALT levels spiked to danger levels and I had to stop all the antibiotics.

My LLMD and GP consider 3 times the upper limit of normal to be the danger level.

The levels continued to spike for another month, even after I had stopped everything

After 3 months of no antibiotics the liver levels finally went down and I was able to restart antibiotics, doxy and amoxcil, and added in Grapefruit Seed Extract, but no flagyl.

Round 2 (4 months ago) LLMD suggested another go with flagyl: Minocycline, biaxin and flagyl (1500 mg 5 days on 2 days off) Oh and nystatin.

My liver enzyme levels elevated slightly after about 2 months and then went back down to below normal.

This time around I was able to stick with it and after 2 1/2 months I noticed improvements overall.

It was never clear what caused the elevated liver enzymes. My LLMD a mentioned Lyme hepatitis as a possiblity..ie not a reaction to antibiotics at all, but another symptom of the infection. My GP suspected diflucan.

In any case, milk thistle definitely helped support my liver function.

Persistance is slowly paying off

Posts: 41 | From Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's official back on Mino

Paul

Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally Flagyl would be considered by far the most liver toxic of those 3 meds.

Why not add the herbs into your antibiotic protocol. I feel the combo is more effective than either alone.

As for switching to herbs alone -- I think the main issue is whether your immune system is back on line. I have read the info on the Byron White products and am not at all convinced that the doses are anywhere near high enough to be effective except as maintenance after you are symptom free.

Based on Buhner's dosing and normal therapeutic doses from Chinese medicine I would say that the doses would probably need to be at least 5 times higher than suggested to be effective. But that is just my opinion. Hubby hasn't tried the Byron White formulas yet.

The Buhner herbs are a much better option in my mind. The doses there may even be too low for long-term treatment and I also have my doubts about being able to actually get rid of bart or babs with just herbs. The lyme herbs seem to be more effective from what I have read and based on hubby's experiences.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pippi
Member # 21151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pippi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope it goes well. I made my first sustained improvement went I went on mino.
Pippi

Posts: 41 | From Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pippi
Member # 21151

Hope it goes well. I made my first sustained improvement went I went on mino.
Pippi

kidsgotlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Paul. I'm sure that you probably are already taking milk thistle or something to protect your liver, but if not, wanted to send out a reminder. [Smile]

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

im taking milk thistle extract 300 mg twice a day... and drinking lemon water.

I was doing beet juices for a week while I was trying to bring it back down

Paul

Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other things that help liver:
B-complex ,alphalipoic acid,Whey protein ,Nac,
liver flush .

Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement