LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Multi-Vitamins

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Multi-Vitamins
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any good multi-vitamins at Wal-Mart, CVS, etc?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would avoid the cheap stuff they have made in CHINA!!

Buy name brands only.

I have no brands to suggest unless they would have New Chapter.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good rule to go by is the more caplets in a daily dose, the better the vitamin. The crappy ones condense their contents into a small little tablet, which is hard for the body to absorb.
Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I order chewables from Beyond Health ($22 for 90).

I had an x-ray at a chiro's office once, and you could see undigested vitamins in my intestines. Ewwwwwww. So now I do chewables or liquid.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Please do not buy the typical vitamins at the "big box stores" as they are processed by high heat (which destroys a lot of nutrients), they can sit on warehouse shelves far too long and, most often, contain a lot of additives and gluten.

If you use any chewable, be sure to rinse your mouth very well a minute afterward with plain water - a couple times, really. Vitamin C can wear away tooth enamel. But do not brush for a couple hours and it takes some time for the enamel to harden back up after exposure to Vitamin C or some acids.

If teeth are brushed too soon afterward, the soft enamel will be brushed down. RINSE, though, to clean the teeth, until time to brush.

Chewables can be really bad for our teeth so most dentists advise against them but that's mostly because of the vitamin C just sitting there, eroding the enamel by those who don't know to rinse, rinse, rinse.

Liquids? Often better than capsules ? Yes.

While some liquid vitamins are better absorbed and there certainly is an advantage to what can be absorbed under the tongue (especially for B-12, B-6 and D-3) . . . after allowing some time for absorption IF vitamin C or other acids are included in liquid vitamin blend, be sure to rinse well a couple times with water - and wait a bit of time before brushing, but not too long.

While some vitamins are best absorbed sublingually (under the tongue) . . . others may be best in a capsule to absorb more slowly with food in the stomach. B-3 is best absorbed more slowly - along with food in the stomach, otherwise it can cause nausea.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Vitamin Research Center makes their products FRESH, at their own plant in Nevada � (they may order some ingredients from overseas but they test everything they use for purity) . . . and they don�t sit for long periods of time in hot or freezing warehouses all over the world.

I�ve had some of their multivitamins tested and they are clearly very good quality. There may be better ones out there that cost more but, for a middle price range, these are very good quality.

VRP also has many informational articles (with 3rd party research citations) about most of the supplements. At the site for the supplement, see the link for �related articles� and the one for �ingredients�

http://www.vrp.com/why-vrp

Why VRP ?

��http://www.vrp.com/about-vrp

About VRP.

http://www.vrp.com/multinutrients

VRP Multinutrients Choices

========================

Other good brands: Gaia, Planetary Formulas, Source Naturals, KAL, most that come in a dark glass bottle,

The brand that LymeToo suggests is very good. (New Chapter)

VitaCost is a very good web site with many top brands. And, for most, you can see the full list of ingredients. That is a must.

iHerb is also a good site with many top brands.

Try to find vitamins that are GLUTEN-FREE -- and of course, free of artificial sweeteners that are in many chewables and some liquids.

AVOID DYES - so many vitamins contain a lot of garbage, including dyes that are just not necessary and likely harmful.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.vitacost.com/New-Chapter-Every-Womans-One-Daily-72-Tablets

Men's are available also.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoping I would not need to order...guess I need to in order to get a good one.

Thanks!

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You may have some good choices in your town with a food store that carries organic foods, etc. Most health markets carry a few good brands of vitamins like Source Naturals, New Chapter.

NOW brand might be considered, too. You can probably find their website to explore ingredients and where you can buy. They are reasonably priced and one of my naturopathic doctors does use a few supplements by NOW.

If you have a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe, you can go on line and study their brands and ingredients. But, often, they have just their store brands in the stores - and, often, those are made overseas and contain dyes and additives. But, you can sure investigate as that may not always be the case for every brand they carry.

With VRP, you can see the date the vitamins were manufactured. I don't know of any other brands that do that. The fresher, the better.
-

karenlc
Member # 13377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenlc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Rainbow light rejuvenage 40+ but any rainbow light multivitamins are good. I purchased from amazon but did my research on iherb.
Posts: 17 | From woolwich twp nj | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like AOR MultiBasics --
http://www.aor.ca/

They are a little expensive and somewhat of a pain to find. But it has a decent formulation, including 5-MTHF instead of folic acid.

VRP also seems to make decent multis. I suggest just taking a partial dose though, seeing as most people eat actual food too. More is not necessarily better, so don't go for the 1000%+ RDA types of vitamins.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would get something from the health food store or online. Something that contains whole foods in it so the nutrients are more easily absorbed.

When I lived out in the country, we had a septic tank. The guy who came out to clean it told me that he cleaned a tank once and there were vitamins in it and you could still read the words on them. They hadn't digested at all.

So, I wouldn't get a cheap one from the drug store.

Also, those that merely have 100% of everything don't have the optimal dosages, only the mere minimum requirement.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Wish I could find one without Vitamin C. I just can't tolerate C.

But then it wouldn't be a "multi" would it!? I take my New Chapter a few times a week. It contains 60mg of C.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Wish I could find one without Vitamin C. I just can't tolerate C.

But then it wouldn't be a "multi" would it!? I take my New Chapter a few times a week. It contains 60mg of C.

I have the same problem. My chewable only has 60mg. That's all I can handle.

I like mine (Beyond Health) because it has higher B vitamins and lower doses of D and C which I don't do well with at all. I have to get my D from the sun.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the AM & PM Multi made by Bodywise

http://www.bodywise.com/corporate/BW/products/pdf/products/RightChoice.pdf

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to switch multivitamins every couple months. I'm currently using "MegaFoods Essentials One Daily" It is a food based multivitamin. Pretty cheap on iherb, less than $30 for 3mo supply.

Another brand I like is Thorne Research, their multivitamins come in capsules so you have to take several per day. They are more costly.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, if you are eating a balanced diet you may be wasting money on a multi-vitamin. I try to take vitamins that I know my body lacks and specifically I take ones that I know my body needs. Taking vitamins that your body doesn't necessarily need is not beneficial to you and a waste of money.

That being said, if you are going to take a multi-viatamin, or any vitamin for that matter, I believe the best vitamins to take are whole food vitamins. They're the most natural vitamins you can take and they usually are well absorbed into your body without upsetting your stomach.

For example, most B-Complex vitamins I take bother my stomach, but the Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw B-Complex http://www.vitacost.com/Garden-of-Life-Vitamin-Code-RAW-B-Complex-1000-mcg-60-Vegetarian-Capsules I take doesn't bother me at all.

Garden of Life (as well as other companies) make whole foods multi-vitamins. If I was going to take a multi-vitamin I would definitely take a whole food vitamin.

By the way, another whole food vitamin I take is Nature's Way Alive powdered vitamin C http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Alive-Vitamin-C-120-g-Powder/15056?at=0. It's organic and non-GMO. I drink it mixed with water on an empty stomach each morning and it doesn't bother my stomach one bit.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the3030club
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the3030club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm ALL ABOUT the alive multi.

But i don't take one every day, only once every few days.

Potent stuff!

Posts: 339 | From Outer Space | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

New Chapter is organic and whole food based.

Also is GLUTEN FREE.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so people know, 'whole food' multi-vitamins are simply made from yeast that are fed synthetic vitamins. The yeast (brewer's yeast) is then dried and processed and put into tablet form.

Some of the companies selling such multis have nice boxes with pictures of fruits and vegetables, conveying a message they are natural and the same as real food. But they aren't.... that's just marketing.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemon-Lyme, could you provide a link or some additional information to verify what you posted?

Thanks!

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

quote:
Originally posted by gwb:
Lemon-Lyme, could you provide a link or some additional information to verify what you posted?

Thanks!

Gary

I found this site that explains the process:
http://rightwayvitamins.net/page40.php

New Chapter used to have a detailed webpage describing it too, but I can't find it now. I did email New Chapter years ago, asking questions on their process, and basically they told me the Bs and several minerals are synthetics, while vitamin A + E were from natural sources. But many 'synthetic' vitamins use natural sources for A + E too, so not sure if that means much.

New Chapter, Garden of Life, etc. use this process. Alive (I think) use synthetic + natural vitamins and adds small amounts of veggie/fruit/mushroom extracts.

If someone finds a whole food vitamin more stomach friendly than other multis, I see no big problem with it, assuming the yeast isn't contaminated (I wouldn't expect it to be from a decent company). But again, just wanted to make sure people weren't misled by the pretty boxes.

Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posted by six, above:
quote:
...we had a septic tank. The guy who came out to clean it told me that he cleaned a tank once and there were vitamins in it and you could still read the words on them. They hadn't digested at all.

So, I wouldn't get a cheap one from the drug store.

That sure illustrates the point!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please become familiar with this:

Toxic Chemical Ingredients our FDA Allows in U.S. Supplements

Be well,
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Lemon-lime's got a good point. Avoid synthetic Vitamin A and - especially - synthetic Vitamin E. Synthetic E can be damaging.

Sometimes, a little synthetic A may be okay but ONLY if balanced with mostly Beta Carotene (natural A). That is also why fresh is best. Getting what we can from food is best.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement