LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Supplement Protocol - What's Yours?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Supplement Protocol - What's Yours?
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to reduce the # of supplements my family takes.

If they followed what our LLND suggests they would be taking some 80-90 pills per day.

The first year we followed it to a T. Now, it's time to reduce the # of pills they swallow on a daily basis. They are having too hard a time taking that many pills every single day.

What is your favorite supplement?

What is your favorite multi vitamin?

What do you think is absolutely necessary?

If you were to pick 5 supplements to take what would they be?

I am thinking:

1) Probiotics
2) Chlorella
3) Excellent Multi Vitamin w/minerals
4) Bolouke
5) Transfer Factor

Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be interested to hear as well. I have spent about $800 since November on supplements, probiotics, herbs and vitamins.

My two abx rxs were cheap $15 a piece.

At present I take along with my Clindamycin:

Lumbrokinase
Samento drops
Banderol drops
Ester C
Chelated Magnesium
Biotin
Vitamin D3
Zinc Picolinate
Krill Oil
R-Lipoic Acid
MSM
CoQ10 Ubiquinol
Florastor Probiotic
Ultimate 10 50 billion Probiotic

Getting ready to add Olive Leaf Extract and Chlorella.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you get someone to muscle test (kinesiology) for what your body needs? I cut what we take in 1/2 by doing this. Now I am sure we are supplementing and getting what the body wants.

Use google: search kinesiology + your area code, or your state... see what comes up.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Heather, Thanks. I am working on finding someone who can muscle test. I am hopeful that they will be able to pick which supps/doses.

Thanks!

Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the3030club
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the3030club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD recommends Ortho Molecular "ortho biotic" pro biotics. They sell several probiotics in their office including therelac and other popular brands and he's told me that if you only take one, this is the one.

Also i take these:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=NW-2498

Alive multi vitamin (i take no iron because i'm a guy) buy they're great, they give me such a boost i can't recommend them enough.

They also make a womens version . it's great because it covers so many bases in one (albeit huge) pill.

Posts: 339 | From Outer Space | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter takes

1) fish oil (Vital Choice)
2) chlorella (BioPure)
3) probiotics (Prescript Assist)
4) Magnesium
5) Calcium
6) Niacinamide (added for brain fog)

I want to add Ester C and Japanese Knotweed.

She takes pills 3 or 4 times a day and swallows them by the handful. The ones that are hard for her to do are the liquids that have to be done separately.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am tired of taking them too and I don't know how much any of them help but I am afraid to not take them.

The one I can't do without is hyaluronic acid which is collagen and helps keep my eyes from feeling so dry and irritated.

In addition I take these and I will put a star by anything I think is worthwhile:

* 600mg Alpha Lipoic Acid and 1000 mg Acetyl L Carnitine
* D3
* Magnesium citrate 500 mg
* Artimisinin (working up to 900mg 3x day)
B100
B12
* Niacinamide 1000 mg (helps restore nerve synapses)
Inositol (just started - helps OCD)
Lumbrokinase (don't know if I take enough)
* DL Methionine (helps repair damage - don't have pain now)
Probiotics

I have a cabinet completely full of supplements and herbs. I used to take 30 capsules at a time twice a day. Not any more. I have a large weekly pill container and sometimes I throw in this or that but I wear out and go back to the basics.

I have tried so many things and they just don't seem to make any difference. Things like huperazine and coconut oil for memory -doesn't help. Cowden, Zhang - don't work on me. Resveratrol.
No benefit that I can tell and I took them for a very long time.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, I recall this question being asked a few times in the recent past. You could also get some additional answers to your question by doing a search.

I'll list everything that comes to mind but I might have missed one or two things, but this pretty much covers it. I second the motion about getting muscle tested if you can. That will help you know what your body needs and what you can stop taking.

Nature's Way Alive Vitamin C. (I take it in the powdered form)
Probiotics
Fish Oil
D3 Carlson's drops
Coq10
Vitamin E
Magnesium Citrate/Malate combo
B-12 sublingual
B Complex
DIgestive Enzymes
Adrenal Gland Support by Transformation
Powdered greens (Various brands because I'm experimenting)
Nattokinase
Protease 375K by Transformation

* I also take Selenium and Iodine drops every other day. But don't take this unless your doctor has recommends it. It's not for everyone.

I also take Jernigan remedies for my Lyme treatment and if I have yeast issues (which I rarely do), I take Jernigan Yeast Ease remedy. This has been the most effective remedy my wife has used when she has yeast issues.

My wife, daisyrlb, and I recently started on powdered greens about two weeks ago. I can honestly tell you that this has made a big difference for me in my energy level. I have more energy now than I've had in a long time.

Look into greens and see if this is something you think might be good for your family. My wife and I both love it and can really *feel* the difference. Wish I started on this a long time ago.

Hope this helps. Remember, what's good for me may not be good for you. I know you are aware of this, but I share this for others who may not realize this. I used to think if someone is taking this or that then that means I should too. I found out the hard way $$$$$$$$ that isn't always the case. That's why I like the muscle testing or BRS testing that I get from Dr. J in KS who treats me.

Gary

* Another thought. I have come to believe that the more our supplements come from whole foods the better they are for us. I also try to avoid any supplements that have additives, preservatives, soy, etc, etc. The purer the supplements are the better. Cost more? Yes, but for me it's worth the investment.

[ 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: gwb ]

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary, what are "powdered greens"?

Forgot to mention Corydalis for sleep. It is great but the company that I buy it from is shut down - moving. They should reopen in a month they said. It is herbalextracts.com

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
neff, I should I referred to it as "greens" I guess. I'm still learning about greens. Wish I had started on them a lot sooner as I really feel I'm getting good benefits from drinking them. My wife does too.

Here's some of the greens I've been experimenting with:

http://www.vitacost.com/Amazing-Grass-Green-SuperFood-All-Natural-Drink-Powder-17-oz

http://www.vitacost.com/Vibrant-Health-Green-Vibrance-Powder

http://www.vitacost.com/New-Chapter-Berry-Green-360-g

The best tasting one is Amazing Greens, but the most well rounded one, in my opinion, based on the ingredients, is Green Vibrance. Green Vibrance has a bit of a sea taste to it, not bad, but not delicious tasting either. Of the three greens I've tried this is my least favorite in the taste category.

I actually like the taste of Amazing Grass over all of them, but like I said, of what I've tried so far, I think the Green Vibrance is more well rounded than the other two. Amazing Grass has a bit of a sweet taste, but not a lot.

New Chapter Berry Green is a good one too, kinda tart tasting but they have no grass in it. Just greens and fruits, but it's good stuff. On their advertisement they say that they believe "grass is for cows and horses". : )

All of these have excellent reviews. Right now I have all three of them and take one brand in the morning, another at noon and another in the evening.

Today chiquita incognita told me of another one that she uses made by Paradise Herbs, Orac Energy Greens. http://www.vitacost.com/Paradise-Herbs-Orac-Energy-Greens-3-2-oz#IngredientFacts

It looks very good too and has a lot more grasses in it than the other greens do. It also has, I think, three different kinds of mushrooms in it. This one is packed with a lot of potent stuff that the others don't have. My only concern about this one is how it might affect my stomach since I have a pretty sensitive stomach.

After I run out of one of the greens I have now, I plan to order the Orac Energy Greens and give it a try. I'm really impressed at how much energy these green drinks have given me. My mind is much clearer too. Like I said, i wish I started on greens a long time ago.

Research the various greens on vitacost or iherb or perhaps google it and see which one best suits your needs.

By the way, I drink mine with just plain water as I don't think they taste too bad. Others add stevia, honey, maple syrup or mix it in a bit of juice or make a smoothie with it to make it more palatable. I don't drink it for the taste, I drink it for the benefits, and believe me, I can tell it's doing my body some good!

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeber, an old member who used to post here [Smile] , used to say powdered Greens were very good too!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My green drink is Dr. Foster's Essentials (organic)

Has:
chlorella
spirulina
wheat grass
barley grass
alfalfa grass
purple dulse seaweed
kamut
in a base of rice bran

I love this stuff.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme Mom,

I would agree with your 5 choices. One supplement that definitely helps is the Transfer Factor. I have a noticeable difference in symptoms when I don't take this.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement