LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I give up on sleep

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I give up on sleep
penguingirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28688

Icon 9 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is torture. How many days/ weeks/months do I have to go with horrible sleep? It will take me a good few hours to dose off then I will wake up frequentlly.

Don't know if this is the lyme or the abx that is not letting me sleep or what.

I tried valerian glyerite last night.. no help.. I am so groggy now because I finally slept somewhat consistently from 4am.

I thought about Melatonin because I saw some posts here recommending it, but when I went to Whole Paycheck yesterday to get some, I noticed it says on the bottle, not for long-term use. I'm not sure if that means more than a few months or what.. so I took the valerian way.

I really just want to sleep. This throws of my whole day. I am working from home so luckily don't have to worry about commuting, etc but I can't just nap in the middle of the day either.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wifegotlyme
Member # 27578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wifegotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry penguingirl for what you are going through.
Valerian and Melatonin did not help my wife at all. She was able to sleep by taking Magnesium (calm) at night. Her Herbalist recommended drinking skullcap tea before bed time. It also helped her alot.

--------------------
LC 7.09 IGG66,41,39 +ve IGM 41,23 +ve
9.09 Fry's and Igenex were -ve
6 mo ABX
LC 4.10 IGG66,39,18 +ve IGM -ve

Posts: 73 | From Usa | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Gabapehtin 300mg x 2 and Melatonin 3mg x 2 at bedtime. Gabapehtin was prescribed by my Neuro for nerve pain, and also makes you groggy.
My LLMD said to keep on it as a sleep aid.

I still wake up every 3 hrs or so, but it's the best rest I can get and still get to work. Not concerned with if I need it long term or not.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I was taking Gabapentin for over 7 months now and feel like I have to keep upping the dose. My LLMD says it's ok to go up to 2400mg. I'm at 800mg or so. I guess I was hoping to find something natural so I would not be dependent on it..

Will we be able to sleep on our own once the lyme is gone??

wgl - what type of magnesium brand is for sleep? I'm sorry - I was thinking the magnesium we take for supplements and it gives me the runs so that was the last thing I needed in the middle of the night.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wifegotlyme
Member # 27578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wifegotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use : http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=N3-1006

First she started 1 teaspoon then increased till tolerating BM are obtained.

--------------------
LC 7.09 IGG66,41,39 +ve IGM 41,23 +ve
9.09 Fry's and Igenex were -ve
6 mo ABX
LC 4.10 IGG66,39,18 +ve IGM -ve

Posts: 73 | From Usa | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son has been taking Melatoning (5mg) a CVS brand... since mid summer. He wasn't taking it as much and I asked him why and he said he was getting a lot of nightmares and he couldn't wake up from them (scary).

We talked about sleep. He said it takes him a couple of hours to get to sleep and he wakes up every hour.

He is always tired, but can't sleep.

He is not on any antibiotics. This means it is one of his infections... bb, babs, bart, m. pneum, ???.

I bought a new brand of melatonin... Thompson, sustained release from vitacost. It's only 3mg of melatonin... and it also has B6 - plus no magnesium stearate (filler) which has become more important to me when looking for supplements.

He tried it for the first time last night. He says he fell asleep in about an hour.
Stayed asleep all night and no nightmares.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!

I just went on Vitacost and ordered that melatonin and the magnesium calm.

Until they arrive I'll just up my gabapentin dosage and take them earlier in the night (like 7 pm!) and hopefully can get some zzz.

I am always tired but can't sleep either. I will lie on the bed exhausted but awake.

--------------------
 -

kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5-HTP helps my daughter sleep. She takes 100mg.

The brand that I buy also has a little valerian root in it, but she can't sleep if she takes just valerian root so I know that the 5-HTP is what does the trick.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beagle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penquingirl,

While waiting for the melatonin you could try Benidryl. I have to take it every night now because I break out in this horrible itchy hives-like rash each evening. The only thing that helps is 3 Benidryl and it also makes most people drowsy. Although in rare cases it makes them hyper so maybe should try one during the day first as a test.

Good luck, I know insomnia is horrible. I have been taking Melatonin each nite for the last 4 yrs and Lorazapam at bedtime which finally did the trick. Although probably addicted to the Lorazapam now, not good.

Beagle

Posts: 348 | From MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiebobatie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiebobatie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melatonin helps me falls asleep, but I am wide awake a few hours later.

I take nyquil a lot. It knocks me out! The only problem is it can make me groggy the next day.

You might want to try it though. You NEED sleep to get better!

Posts: 442 | From usa | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Nyquil doesn't help me - it makes me wired.
Plus I think there is alcohol in it and I'm on Flagyl.

I know - without sleep how are our bodies supposed to repair?

--------------------
 -

momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
katie- I think Nyquil is a large part alchohol... the sugar is not good for lyme!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiebobatie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiebobatie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the entire bottle is 10% alcohol... but you just take a tablespoon... so i really don't think it would be that much sugar [Smile]

personally, i cannot give up all sugar with my meds. i know i am supposed to, but i throw up all my pills if i don't eat stuff with sugar/carbs!

Posts: 442 | From usa | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiebobatie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28753

the entire bottle is 10% alcohol... but you just take a tablespoon... so i really don't think it would be that much sugar [Smile]

personally, i cannot give up all sugar with my meds. i know i am supposed to, but i throw up all my pills if i don't eat stuff with sugar/carbs!

p.s. i forgot about not consuming alcohol while on anti-biotics. maybe i should stop with the nyquil :/

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Please do not take Nyquil. It's got some very strong chemicals in it that are not really good for any body, especially for a compromised one.
-----------------------

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/15-11/st_nyquil

WHAT'S INSIDE NyQUIL, FORTIFIED WITH POWERFUL NARCOTICS !

-by Patrick Di Justo - 10.23.07

� Acetaminophen

One of the many wonder-pharmaceuticals that can be derived from coal tar, acetaminophen was used for nearly a century as a painkiller and fever reducer before anyone figured out how it worked.

We now know that as the drug breaks down in the body, it turns into a cannabinoid: yes, stoners, the same type of compound that makes marijuana so irresistible. . . .

� Dextromethorphan HBr

A cough suppressant. Well, actually, in the body it becomes dextrorphan, a cough suppressant, and levorphanol, a painkiller five times as powerful as morphine. Like PCP and ketamine, DXM is also an NMDA receptor antagonist, so the National Institute on Drug Abuse lists it as a "dissociative" drug. Twelve times the recommended dose of NyQuil leads to distorted perceptions of sight and sound and produces feelings of detachment � dissociation � from the environment and oneself.

For people whose bodies are unusually slow at metabolizing the drug, even low doses of DXM trigger full-blown "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" psychedelic trips.

Doxylamine succinate . . . .

Citric acid . . . .

Alcohol . . . .

Polyethylene glycol and propylene glycol
. . . .

Sodium citrate . . . .

Flavor . . . .

High fructose corn syrup . . . .

========================

You can search all these ingredients at other sites but High Fructose corn syrup does terrible things to a body, as can Polyethylene glycol and propylene glycol (connected to cancer).

Acetaminophen
 should not be taken by anyone with any kind of liver stress (it hampers the liver from producing the very key thing we need for detox: glutathione).

The alcohol in it IS too much for a lyme patient. Way too much, especially at night when the liver has to really do its work. Adding alcohol and acetaminophen can just clobber the liver, not to mention all the other stuff that is not natural to the body.

The coloring alone will make the liver and kidneys work harder just to get rid of that.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dsiebenh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsiebenh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"
Melatonin helps me falls asleep, but I am wide awake a few hours later.
"

My experience, and what I read in a book about hormones, indicate this occurs when you take too much melatonin.

It happens to me on 5mg, or on a time-release 3mg. It does NOT happen to me on regular old 3mg dose. I am a 6' 200 lb guy.

Melatonin had essentially no effect on me 10+ years ago when I was less sick. Now that I am sicker, it definitely helps me sleep better, provided I use the correct dose.

Posts: 252 | From NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Keebler - I just bought a bottle of valerian glycerite yesterday - it says to put 30-40 drops in a little water. It is so foul-smelling not as bad tasting and it took me forever to drink it (and I only put 10 drops because I wanted to test it out first)

Can I take it with melatonin and magnesium calm when I get those next week? I hope I didn't waste $12 on a 1 oz bottle..

dseibenh - I ordered a 3 mg dose of melatonin.

--------------------
 -

PTrain
Member # 28773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PTrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking Trazadone every night for about a year and a half. My GP prescribed it to me when I was diagnosed with Fibryomyalgia (along with Cymbalta). I still take both.

Trazadone is a seratonin modulator with few side effects. It helps me fall asleep right away. I still wake up early - get about 5 or 6 good hours of sleep each night.

Never could take Melatonin, BAD nightmares. But maybe I was taking too much..,

Also, I hate to say this because we are all too sick some times to even think about it, but moderate exercise goes a long way towards a good nights sleep.

I wish I could take a nap though. Can't fall asleep during the day. Always admire those people that can nod off anywhere anytime. I think they call that narcolepsy though. [Smile]

Posts: 54 | From Northern NY State | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem...trouble falling asleep, wake up several times throughout what I'll call a 'light sleep' to pee...really don't fall into a deep sleep until 3 or 4am, and then will often wake up by 6 or 7am anyway.

Would Magnesium Calm (magnesium citrate) work any different than magnesium malate for sleep???

I tried magenesium malate, and magnesium malate did not help me sleep any better...in fact, if anything it made my symptoms much worse, including my sleep issues.

--------------------
Urge Congress on EMF Safety, FCC Must Change Exposure Guidelines for Microwave Radiation Exposure: http://tinyurl.com/2cjq54y
Halt Universal Broadband, A Public Health Hazard:
http://tinyurl.com/3x7xrmq

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
PenguinGirl, you just asked:

" . . . I just bought a bottle of valerian glycerite yesterday - it says to put 30-40 drops in a little water. It is so foul-smelling not as bad tasting and it took me forever to drink it (and I only put 10 drops because I wanted to test it out first)

Can I take it with melatonin and magnesium calm when I get those next week? I hope I didn't waste $12 on a 1 oz bottle.. . . ."

================

From your other current post, you say you've been crying a lot. I would NOT use valerian if you are feeling sad.

As you said you took ten drops of valerian last night, that could explain a lot about the tears and mood today. Valerian can be a mood depressant.

If you do try it again, I'd start with ONE drop. ONE drop. But there are better things than valerian. Valerian can really bring on depression.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements

ADRENAL SUPPORT also included here as adrenal support is key to good sleep.
--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take:

Trazodone
Ambien
melatonin

I sleep!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klonopin works. It's not natural, and it's addicting, meaning you have to wean yourself off or there are side effects. But it helped me sleep when nothing else worked.

It's usually prescribed for anxiety, but all it did was make me sleepy. I didn't feel groggy the next day which is plus.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has had sleep issues from lyme/etc...for the past three years. He has tried numerous things to no avail. We are finally seeing some progress with Klonopin. He is now sometimes getting a 5 or 6 hour block of sleep and can even get 8 hours total. He tried Klonopin over a year ago and didn't have such good results.

I feel that there are a couple of reasons he is sleeping better: (1) over the past 3 months, we have been turning off his bedroom fuse (and the nearby rooms) at night while he is sleeping. I looked into this because after 3 years of treatment, he only has a few symptoms left...ear ringing, insomnia and headaches...the 3 primary things that can be caused by EMF's!!!!

There was a talk on this by Dr. K which really convinced me this was a factor. We also had our EDS practitioner look what was affecting the sleep center of his brain...and guess what was in there??? Very high EMF's. He is on a cell phone all day too for his job.

The second possible factor for his better sleep is that his levels of lyme are very low now (we think, based on EDS testing). But I really believe the EMF issue is a big part of his problem.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi penguingirl, It sounds like you got a lot of good advise...I hope this note finds you SLEEPING!!!

Good night!

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benedryl and Lorezepam.

Most of us need a sleep cocktail during Lyme and Lyme treatment. Often, the herbs and supps aren't enough and we need Rx meds.

You must sleep to heal and to stave off utter insanity. (I speak from experience here.)

Find your cocktail and stick with it.

I also take Corvalen D-ribose, 5g 3x/day, to keep my HPA axis regulated. That allows me to sleep through the night. It is the only thing that has allowed me to sleep through the night.

Good luck! I know you can figure this out.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corvalen D-ribose? That's a new one to me. I'll have to check it out. I have lots of problems with sleep.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haley - Do a search at www.endfatigue.com

Dr. Teitelbaum is a big CFS guy. He writes about D-ribose in From Fatigued to Fantastic, 3rd ed.

Buy the Corvalen brand. And take 15mg/day. Success with this product is dose-dependent.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluemoon
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ambien has been a godsend to me. I could fall to sleep, but not get into deep sleep. Ambien allows me to attain enough deep sleep to keep me healthy. My health improved greatly once I began to manage my sleep with ambien. If you're not getting deep sleep (stage 3-4), you will have very difficult time healing.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement