LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cost of antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cost of antibiotics
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had my first appt with LLMD and got antibiotics, she said they'd be cheap cause they were generic. I paid 90.00 for 120 capsules of 100 mg doxycycline. Didn't think that was cheap, what is a comparative cost with other people, other places? thanks, p.s. not testing til on for 2 weeks so I have to wait for confirmation thatI actually have lyme.
Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds high for doxy. Call all local pharmacies and compare prices. If you have a Costco, they are usually the cheapest.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmsfnc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmsfnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously depends on your insurance plan and your copay for drugs. Doxy should be your generic tier. I pay $20 for 240 2 months supply.
Posts: 239 | From NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have insurance, and only paid 20 dollars for my doxy rx. I had a walgreens discount card, which u can ask for, you have to pay for it, but it's totally worth it. I also have a more expensive rx for Zithromax (very expensive!!) and I got a significant discout using my discount card, also i called pfizer and got an additinal discount card from them. Pfizer and most other drug co's have either discount programs, or if you qualify financially they will give you the rx for free for one year. You have to provide proof of income though, and the meds are delivered to your doctor.

--------------------
Psalm 119:50
My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.

Posts: 292 | From Heaven | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.....$90 seems high.

I don't know if you have the $4 drug plans near you, but check Wal-Mart, Kroger, Market Street.

I pay $10 for 90 capsules or $4 for 30 capsules.

Definitely shop around.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way too expensive. I agree about the Wal-Greens rx card. My insurance was giving me a hard time about Diflucan. I pay about 1/3 of the cost now with my rx card. It's worth the $15.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Costco or Sam's (or similar warehouse clubs) may also be an option and you should not have to have a membership to just use their pharmacy.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dsiebenh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsiebenh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are rx cards from Monodox and Doryx (both forms of doxy) that limit your out of pocket cost to $10 per month, regardless of insurance or deductible.

I'm sure you can find the sign up via google. My LLMD had the cards and my pharmacist accepted them.

Posts: 252 | From NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaMelvis
Member # 26818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaMelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely high for doxy. I paid $20 for ~725 50mg pills, a 3 month supply, via mail order. Zithromax was also filled at $10/monthly via mail oder, though I had to get special permission for this one.

--------------------
~*Melvis*~

`

Posts: 80 | From Midwest | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dsiebenh:
[QB] There are rx cards from Monodox and Doryx (both forms of doxy) that limit your out of pocket cost to $10 per month, regardless of insurance or deductible.

I'm sure you can find the sign up via google. My LLMD had the cards and my pharmacist accepted them.

Wow... that's awesome, since Doryx is so much easier on the stomach than doxy! I had to take it once and it was great but the copay was much higher.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your responses. I made 10 phone calls and finally believe it or not, got a $70 refund from CVS. It should've been $20 on their special card, and they used my insurance price.
Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so-you all think monodox is exactly the same as doxycycline? i never heard of it til yesterday did it work for everyone? a month here cost 36

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stillwater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stillwater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard there is a generic Doryx now. Anyone know anything about it. It's certainly easier on your stomach
Posts: 699 | From confusion | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I think the generic has been approved but they haven't got it rolling out yet. That's what someone said about a month ago.

It's good stuff!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but the right dose is tsill 400 or 600 a day, right?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toboein
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toboein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doxy and some other abx are on walmarts 10 dollar list. i paid 10 bucks for 3 month supply.

--------------------
A tiny bug no bigger than a pimple on your butt can change your life.

Posts: 101 | From Southern NJ | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement