LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Severe back pain ?? slipped disk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Severe back pain ?? slipped disk?
momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son (12) went to pick a book up off the table and he screamed in pain and went down into a chair slowly, tears running down his face.

He says its his middle back and he felt something move.

Sounds like a slipped disc to me.

We don't need referrals with our insurance. Who do I call to check this out. He is in a lot of pain.

My mom thinks an orthopedic?

Does he need an x-ray? an MRI?

Could this be Lyme & co related?

Weird thing is, my dog has lyme too... and she has back problems. Vet says it's a slipped disk. I am just about to scream in frustration.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH NO!! If he's in really bad pain, I'd take him to the ER now.

Probably would be good to get an MRI. Lyme makes us more susceptible to joint problems.

(that said... It COULD be a pulled muscle)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme attacks the collagen and can definitely affect the back. Many people also think that babesia likes to hide out in the spine.

Hubby had 2 bulging discs back in 2007 which were very painful. Of course the standard docs said they should not be causing pain.

He ended up doing lumbar cervical decompression treatments on his back.

I would start with the ER if the pain is bad -- probably will need an MRI.

Then probably next choice would be accupuncture or chiropractor.

Saint Johns wort oil (from a health food store)can be rubbed on the skin for pain relief -- or take the tincture internally. Be careful as the oil will stain. You can also combine that with something like icy hot or bengay for temporary relief.

The best thing I have found and something hubby has been using for the last 6 months or so is listed below. He has scoliosis and has mild back pain from that. This is an ointment called "Rub away topical analgesic salve". It has just about every kind of oil and herb you can think of for pain relief in it. Please note that this will also stain clothes. I order it over the internet -- company takes only checks and no credit cards.

http://www.purrfectlyherbal.com/products_salves.html

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both. We did get him into bed. Lying flat on his back with no pillows. He does not want to go to the ER.

He is not sleeping yet, but says he will sleep.

I will see what I can do about getting him an MRI tomorrow.

He hates those Icy Hot pads... tried them on his other joint pains.

How's the smell on those other oils? Is one better than the other?

I hate to stress him out if he really can't stand the smell (or taste) of a treatment.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go get him one of those ThermaCare things tomorrow... CVS or Walgreen's have them.

Hope he can get some sleep!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The salve I mentioned has camphor, menthol and eucalyptus all -- so the smell is pretty potent.

Another possibility -- when hubby had his cracked rib we used tiger balm. You can find that in about any drugstore. It is a small tube but it goes a long way. Think there are 2 or 3 different formulations to chose from.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a slipped disc and did not go to the ER.
I tried to catch a fainting adult and that was heavy.

I was lying flat on my back and I think some hard thing under the back, just do not remember what.I think the hard thing in the middle helped with pain.Ice for twenty minutes only and then wait and then another one but not more than twenty minutes.

Talked to a very very experienced physical therapist and she checked it and said six weeks rest and no surgery.She gave my instructions how
move ...and then training ...met her twice a week.

It took six weeks and then I really did not lift things for long time.
But now I can lift my big hepa machine.

The MRI uses gadolinium, a toxin. They can suggest surgery or just rest as I did. To me the MRI did not make sense as I was too sick for surgery anyhow.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone who has had countless disabling episodes of back and neck pain, including two surgeries,(in addition to four shoulder surgeries and two hand surgeries) and many steroid injections. I now believe ALL my orthopedic issues were caused by Lyme inflaming snd weakening the joints. Borrelia loves cartilage, tendons, and ligaments.

In the 2 1/2 years I have been treating for Lyme, I have not had one episode. Painful stiffness is gone. I still have the spine of a 90 year old man (I'm 62), but by eliminating active infection there are no more episodes. Twice this winter I have moved one ton of bagged wood pellets from my driveway into the house with no problem.

I say ride it out, get to a good physical therapist, and then see an LLMD to test for Lyme.

We have an orthopedic practice in town that has eight surgeons making money hand over fist on an assembly line operating on patients who many times have an undiagnosed infection causing their pain. The surgeons have no interest in finding out the cause. In the words of one of the surgeons there, they are just "mechanics".

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Thanks everyone... tons of useful info.

Sounds like the MRI is out. I don't want to add another toxin to his body. He already has compromised detox pathways.

He is positive for lyme, babesia, bartonella and M. Pneum. -- he also has hpu... just got his heavy metal test back and the poor kid ranks in the 97th percentile for mercury. Also toxic in aluminum, lead, cadmium and titanium. Of course, he is deficient in all the essential minerals.

I wonder if this spine problem could have anything to do with a low Alkaline Phosphatase? This is known to be low in HPU... so that is what we are treating... but is an indicator of bone disease or liver disease.

Just started giving him hydergine last week which was finally giving him some relief from his brain fog and constant headache.

Started Alinia on Saturday... no change seen.

I wonder if this could have anything to do with either of these two drugs. These are the only two drugs we have changed.

Just thinking through everything before I start the day.

I am calling his LLMD first thing to see if she has any suggestions. Then, if she agrees, I will start looking for a physical therapist. I would say acupuncture, but he is dead set against it.

And I slipped a pillow under his knees. He didn't wake up when I did it, so at least he got some sleep!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
poor kid!!!! If he suffers from muscle tightness, it can block his back only because he did the wrong move... Heat should help him relax, but what works also is craniosacral therapy....
Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had really bad bad back pain with my infections but it was in the muscle, not the joints. It was spasms and cramps that lasted for about a month each time.

Valerian is a muscle relaxer and might help.
Physical therapy was very helpful for me.
Hyaluronic acid replaces collagen to help prevent joint and eye damage.

I hope he feels better soon and you get the right combo of drugs to help him.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Not all MRI's involve the use of an IV. I've had several MRI's and have never had anything injected. Just ask your dr about it before doing it.

(except the one I had for my bile duct area...that's a different story)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement