LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is there any definitive symptoms to help diagnose babesia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there any definitive symptoms to help diagnose babesia?
wgshuckers
Member # 27869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wgshuckers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any definitive symptoms to help diagnose babesia?

I have daily headaches and bone pain which from what I've read could be babesia.

I also have joint pain and swelling and muscle pain and weakness.

Positive bands 23 and 41 Igm. so I definitely have borelia.

Thanks

Posts: 92 | From Georgia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost all the symptoms you described are classic Lyme, but there is overlap. Air hunger, sweats, chills, and debilitating fatigue are some common Babs symptoms.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Dr. S's book, "The Lyme Disease Solution"

Babesiosis

As with other co-infections, there is a lot of overlap of symptoms between Lyme disease and Babesiosis. An accumulation of the following signs and symptoms probably warrant testing and/or treatment of Babesiosis:

___Chills

___Fatigue and often excessive sleepiness

___High fever at onset of illness

___Night sweats that are often drenching and profuse

___Severe muscle pains, especially the large muscles of the legs (quads, buttocks, etc.)

___Neurological symptoms often described as "dizzy, tipsy, and spaciness," similar to a sensation of "floating" or "walking off the top of a mountain onto a cloud"

___Depression

___Episodes of breathlessness, "air hunger", and/or cough

___Decreased appetite and/or nausea

___Spleen and/or liver enlargement

___Abnormal labs (low white blood count, low platelet counts, mild elevation of liver enzymes, and elevated sed rate)

___Headaches (migraine-like, persistent, and especially involving the back of the head and upper neck areas)

___Joint pain (more common with Lyme and Bartonella)

___anxiety/panic (more common with Bartonella)

___Lymph gland swelling (more common with Bartonella and Lyme)

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it was extreme fatigue, chills (mild), dizziness (boat going up and down feeling), near fainting spells, and back pain.

(I think I'm leaving something out!.. it's been awhile)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wgshuckers
Member # 27869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wgshuckers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did you KNOW you had/have babesia infection? Blood test results?
Posts: 92 | From Georgia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo,

What kinda back pain

I'm positive I've been having babs flareups

but the back pain I wasn't sure on the cause.

For me it's mostly lower-mid back

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia can be asymptomatic in some people. I did not think I had it for three years but I tested positive. Then it was obvious.

I never had the fever or drenching sweat many people complain about. But I had no stamina and was always tired. I had bouts of air hunger (feels like you cannot get enough oxygen so you try to get a deep breath or yawn.) I also had bouts of headaches which I thought were migraines. Imetrex always cleared them up.

I was dizzy with babesia when it was active. I had vertigo, ataxia (walking like a drunk) and felt like I was very spacey - "walking off the mountain into the clouds".

I also had depression. Not weepiness or sadness. Depression.
I had no motivation, no joy. I was unable to respond - just a dead to the world feeling.

When babesia was most dominate I could fall asleep almost any time which was nice - after the insomnia of bart!

Mentally I was out of it as though my mind was stuffed with marshmallows. I could not concentrate at all. My brain was not getting enough oxygen to think. I could not do the things I used to do with ease. Thoughts would be gone before I finished thinking them. So confused.

I've been treating with Mepron/zithro 9 weeks and improved but still have a ways to go.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nefferdon-I think you've answerd my question regarding babs. I've got the dizzy, the depression, the sleepies, the can't think. I guess it's back on the Babs meds.
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew I had babs when it was seen in one of the babs blood tests done by Igenex.

It was the one where they actually look at your blood and see the babs in some of your red blood cells.

It's called the FISH test.

Unfortunately, many people have babs but test negative for it.

From page 5 of Burrascano:

"In Babesiosis, no single test is reliable enough to be used alone. Only in early infections (less than two weeks duration) can the standard blood smear be helpful. In later stages, one can use serology, PCR, and fluorescent in-situ hybridization (�FISH�) assay. Unfortunately, many other protozoans can be found in ticks, most likely representing species other than B. microti, yet commercial tests for only B. microti and B duncani (Formerly known as WA-1) are available at this time! In other words, the patient may have an infection that cannot be tested for. Here, as in Borrelia, clinical assessment is the primary diagnostic tool."

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have to have a low white blood cell with babs?
I have been treating bart and symptoms of babs have surfaced.

air hunger
more fatigue
cough
vertigo feeling but not vertigo
pain in thighs which is new

I have taken malarone before without zith and improved greatly without a herx but it didn't last. I have read that babs quickly develops resistance to malarone alone thats why zith is given. I had the same response to plaquenil but with a herx and then went downhill while on it. I have read the same for plaq. about babs.
http://www.canlyme.com/

I am starting coartem tom. and am very nervous. I have heard herx and no herx.

Are there other vectors for babs other than ticks?
Can it be passed between family members?

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How sad is this...

When I think of Babs I think of "Night Sweats."
And when I think of "Night Sweats" I think of "Night Moves" - by Bob Seger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN1_3zHjhW8

Just replace "moves" with "sweats"
and throw in a few other quarky Lyme phrases and we've got a spoof on our hands!

: )

/I have too much free time

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taytsa
Member # 30097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taytsa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is air hunger strictly a babs symptom, or is there anything else that can cause it?

Thanks

Posts: 36 | From Pa | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 2 positive FISH tests from Igenex for Babs.

My main sx is the "dizzy, tipsy, and spaciness, similar to a sensation of floating or walking off the top of a mountain onto a cloud"

Posts: 133 | From Philly/NJ | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement