LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Green Tea Extract (EgCG) - Who has taken this for Babs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Green Tea Extract (EgCG) - Who has taken this for Babs?
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know how many mg's you took, and how many times per day, and for how many days......did it work?

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drink green tea decaf...four cups a day at least..always did...but I read it is a good detox for lyme now so I kept it up

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not tried it yet, but I'm sure if it really did do something, you'd have heard about it 8,049 times. [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Bee Pollen and believe it has action against Babs

Sorta confirmed it when I searched on here and found someone else came to the same conclusion

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOLA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOLA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if it has any action on babs or a any

other co's but since I started drinking (at least

4 cups a day) definitely feeling more energy.

The proof is out there about the benefits of

green tea. DRINK UP rather than capsules

Posts: 146 | From Vancouver, BC | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Green tea extract is not the same as green tea. It is a concentrated part of green tea which has much greater amounts of the key components that are needed like egcg. This is what has been shown to inhibit and clear babesia microti as you can see in the article below.

I'm looking for someone that has taken the extract in high doses. All extracts are not created equal......the egcg amounts range anywhere from 15 to 50%. So a 160 lb person would need to take approx 4 - 500mg caps of gr tea extract that had 50% egcg, 3 or 4 x's a day,which would be in the higher range of the study.

quote:
Research Article
Inhibitory effects of (-)-Epigallocatechin-3-gallate from green tea on the growth of Babesia parasites

SUMMARY

(-)-Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) is the major tea catechin and accounts for 50�80% of the total catechin in green tea. (-)-Epigallocatechin-3-gallate has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-cancer, and anti-trypanocidal activities.

This report describes the inhibitory effect of (-)-Epigallocatechin-3-gallate on the in vitro growth of bovine Babesia parasites and the in vivo growth of the mouse-adapted rodent babesia B. microti.

The in vitro growth of the Babesia species was significantly (P0�05) inhibited in the presence of micromolar concentrations of EGCG (IC50 values=18 and 25 μM for B. bovis, and B. bigemina, respectively). The parasites showed no re-growth at 25 μM for B. bovis and B. bigemina in the subsequent viability test.

The drug significantly (P0�05) inhibited the growth of B. microti at doses of 5 and 10 mg/kg body weight, and the parasites completely cleared on day 14 and 16 post-inoculation in the 5 and 10 mg/kg treated groups, respectively.

These findings highlight the potentiality of (-)-Epigallocatechin-3-gallate as a chemotherapeutic drug for the treatment of babesiosis.

(Received July 09 2009)

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anjiell
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anjiell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was just prescribed a supp from llmd made from bees, he likes this product because it helps bring the immune system back up.if it helps get rid of babs or any one of those friggin bacterias i'm in.
Posts: 125 | From western mass | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd be interesting to hear back from anyone who has tried EgCG, or perhaps can dig up any other studies on it in regard to babesia.

As for dosing, I assume you meant split doses, not 4 caps, 4x daily, for 16 caps?

Unless my calculations are wrong, we'd need around 360mg-720mg/EgCG to equate to the study levels of 5-10mg/kg. There are decent 50% or higher extracts out there, so 2-4 pills daily should do it. There are also things like Teavigo (and one or two others that I forget the names to) that are 90%+. But they can be pricey per dose.

I wonder what the percentage of EgCG is found in other food sources, such as cocoa or grapeseed? I believe they contain some, but not as much as found in tea.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
micul,

Hubby did try this, but it was several months ago. I can't remember if he took 2 or 4 capsules 3 times per day -- need to find my notes on that. He was using the Jarrow brand green tea extract 500 mg capsules which is only 15% EGCG (very cheap from Vitacost). So he was getting either 450 or 900 mg of the EGCG daily. I am pretty sure we did this for at least 6 weeks or maybe even longer.

Hubby weighs around 175 which is 79.5 kg -- therapeutic dose would need to be around 400 - 800 mg of EGCG.

My opinion is that at the lower dose range it definitely does not do much of anything. And if hubby did take the higher dose then my conclusion would be the same. But we do know from a test in December that he has an extremely high titer to babs duncani so that might be a factor.

In theory green tea is supposed to help burn fat and improve lipid profiles. From that angle it might be somewhat helpful for babs. Plenty of evidence that babs needs fats -- especially phosphatidylcholine.

I really wish this had worked. I am currently researching herbs to see what I can add back to hubby's current babs treatment of malarone and IV clindamycin and quinine. Will post more on hubby's protocol soon.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement