LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » new chapters detox/probioitic formula

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new chapters detox/probioitic formula
anjiell
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anjiell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i started taking a product called new chapter/made in vermont/detox formula.i was going to try activated charcoal but decieded against it for detox.this formula has okra,slippery elm,psyllim husk(which i have read mixed reviews on that it is to harsh?),liciorice root,marshmellowroot,probiotic blend,chlorella regularis,ginger rhizome,ginger extract and cayenne. what do people think?does all this stuff interact with each other?i am also starting liquid omega 3's for intestinal soothing and regularity.
Posts: 125 | From western mass | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general, I like New Chapter. At a glance, that looks good to me.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anjiel (beautiful name, FYI!), I have some formal herbalism training/certification and am glad to answer your question.

A) New Chapter Organics is absolutely one of the best companies around. Not only are their products brilliantly formulated( They have a superb herbalist) but also, they are indepth researched scientifically. Very cutting edge research done by the company, breaking news kind of stuff.All products biodynamically grown, far above and beyond organic.

B) About the ingredients:

To the best of my knowledge, psyllium would only be "Harsh" on your system if you were deficient in dietary fiber for the longterm. In other words, it would be "harsh" on weak intestinal muscles (fiber strengthens digestive peristalsis, or colon movements which propel food and waste through the digestive tract. If people have been fiber-deprived for the long term, digestive muscles and peristalsis will be weak and the fiber might give an uncomfortably "full" feeling. In this case, it can cause gas and bloating). People with certain conditions like ulcers or diverticulitis (or -osis) might have weaker intestinal muscles than others. Yet fiber is a very important part of the solution. Start slowly if that is the case, and build up the dosage very gradually.

Marshmallow root can possibly interfere with absorption of some mainstream drugs. It contains a gel-like constituent which shields the digestive lining, which acts like a slide that foods and medications slip along. Hence the absorption interference, or at least theoretically so. The thing to do is to take it separately from other medications (ie, several hours apart) then you should be fine. Marshmallow root is excellent for softening the digestive lining, thereby creating peristaltic flexibility. In turn, this enhances digestive uptake and easier bowel evacuation (mitigates constipation via this mechanism). By the way all these facts are proven in double blind studies, contrary to popular belief which is that herbs are not tested or proven on a scientific basis. That is no longer true. Studies can be read on the government medical datapages www.pubmed.gov but this is not for laypeople, unfortunately rather thick medical terminology is required. Boo. I believe this information (about drugs, herbs, vitamins, it's all the same) should be available to everyone.

Other ingredients: Chlorella is used by the US army to mitigate the effects of chemical warfare, according to Naturopathic Doctor Linda Rector Page in her book "Healthy Healing". It is a truly good toxin absorber. A LLMD told me that it also will "grab onto the good stuff too" so don't take it together with medication. Take it between medications, he said (just as with marshmallow root, above).

Fiber helps to absorb excess blood sugar and insulin each alike, playing a supportive role in blood sugar regulation (it is not in itself THe Cure but is an important assist. According to DR Page above, patients who are dependent on insulin injections still require their medication, but also often need less of it given a high-fiber diet and exercise combined). It can absorb some excess digestive toxins, which can be helpful in lyme detox therapy.

This product does sound like a helpful detoxifier.

HOwever, it depends on your individual needs. For people wiht digestive issues (Stagnation, constipation) this might be helpful.

I still would highly recommend a really good milk thistle product for liver health such as Paradise Herbs Milk Thistle (which has no alchohol or glycerin yet is very high potency and a powdered extract). Obtain it here at discount: www.iherb.com

Polari-Tea offered online courtesy of master phytotherapist Christopher Hobbs and Beth Baugh is a gentle yet effective cleanser. I add milk thistle seeds and nettle leaves to the tea to support liver and kidney elimination/cleansing. The herbs may be bought in healthfood stores in the bulk section, very inexpensively. Again because of the marshmallow root in this formula, you should drink the tea inbetween medication administration and not together with it. It tastes pleasantly like a cross between mint and licorice.

None of the above statements have been evaluated by the FDA. This information does not diagose, cure or prevent any disease, and is for your educational purposes only. Always check with your doctor before adding herbs or supplements to your diet. This helps diagnostics and drug-herb interactions. Make sure your doctor is supervising your regimen even those things that are not medications.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

PS Anjiell et al

The licorice root is a really good thing with one caution. It can (over time) raise blood pressure, by inhibiting an enzyme that breaks down certain steroid hormones. This can affect the blood pressure, over time.

Is the licorice deglycerinated in this product? If yes then it should be safe (though there are traces of the original glycerrhizin that may be left in the product, it's hard to remove every little molecule).

Licorice is noted for soothing the digestive lining (helpful in hyperacidic and ulcerous conditions, for example) and also is a harmonizer. Where a formula has herbs serving varied functions, licorice is the "peace maker" creating harmony between them all. That's part of the reason why it is in this formula.

I would say this formula targets digestive uptake and efficiency. This will help detoxifying, as will the chlorell and the probiotics. It also would aid bowel evacuation (ease constipation if present).

Again I think milk thistle and nettle leaves are very important for detoxification, particularly with lyme and other toxins.

Google the Polari-Tea, it would be an excellent compliment to the formula you have purchased.

The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and do not diagnose, cure or prevent any disease. This is strictly for educational purposes.

anjiell
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anjiell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thankyou for the detailed message. i am having difficulty with regular bowel movements and i am also trying to do antiparasite meds in which it may be working but i feel pretty toxic until the bowel movement. i do not have high blood pressure so that is good. i was not waiting though 2 hrs after meds so i will start doing so.thanks again!
Posts: 125 | From western mass | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

You are welcome, my friend! I am glad it could be helpful.

For constipation, consider also several co-factors. It is hard to know which is operational, because each person's case is different. Here a few things to check out and see which works best for you:

A) PH Balance: If you are too alkaline you may tend toward constipation. Vitamin C feeds friendly bacteria involved in stool formation and thereby can aid bowel evacuation. Consider vitamin C-rich foods here too instead of the synthetic product, the mix of so many chemicals in our lives can be harsh. For a natural source of vitamin C try the Ayurvedic amla fruit, the herbal product Triphala (Excellent for constipation with fewest side effects compared to other herbs/drugs) or acerola cherry powder. For the latter, I like the Health Force Nutritional product called Truly Natural Vitamin C powder. You can google the company and buy directly from them, if I remember correctly. Or try www.iherb.com or www.vitacost.com (both offer deep discounts).

B) Fiber is key

C) Water is key, Sometimes all it is caused by is lack of ample dietary water, it can be just that simple.

D) Probiotics, which you are taking. Try also kefir or yogurt, kimchee or other probiotic-rich foods

E) Bile secretions from the liver aid digestion of fats and cholesterol, and also aid bowel evacuation/stool formation. Foods that stimulate bile flow are bitter foods (Such as lemon, arugula, dandelion leaf, etc) and herbs like dandelion leaf/root, artichoke leaf, fringetree bark (good for rejuvenating a tired-out or over-stressed liver), oregon grape root ("cools" the liver), goldenseal (quite powerful as bile stimulant as well as being moderately antibiotic), or any bitter-sour flavored foods.

CAUTION: Excess bile can contribute to hyperacidity, acid eructations or indigestion. Too little will result in digestive stagnation, constipation and difficulty digesting fats/cholesterol. Balance is key, watch for your own symptoms and honor them, adjusting your diet/herbs as you go along. (Milk thistle does not directly stimulate bile and *shouldn't* contribute to any excess bile secretions).

Ask your doctor about side effects from any laxative drugs (they can be habit-forming and your body may do less peristalsis, but the same is true of many laxative herbs as well. That's where the Triphala product is completely the safest and non-habit forming. The product you are using by New CHaper doesn't contain any habit-forming laxative herbs either, at least based on the ingredients you listed above).

PS To answer your prior question, do the herbs listed in the New Chapter product interact with each other? Only in helpful ways. Studies have shown that herbs formulated in clusters work better than those used singly, but you have to know what you are doing to formulate them and put the right herbs together.

May you be well and happy, and on the road to a speedy recovery! Let me also thank everybody posting here, because to read about the journey of others surely is validating and helpful to oneself and puts one's own process into perspective. Thank you all! Surely appreciate it.

NOne of the above statements have been evaluated by the FDA. This information does not diagnose, cure or prevent any disease, and is for your educational purposes only. Always check with your doctor before adding herbs or supplements to your regimen.

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

PS forgot to say that if your thyroid is low, constipation, lowered immunity and tendency toward flu infections/parasites, sluggish digestion, fatigue and more symptoms may be present. If you think your thyroid could be low, ask your doctor to check it for you. See also Richard Shames, MD's wonderful book which has breakthrough diagnostic methods, called Thyroid Power. You can obtain it on his website, www.thyroidpower.com he is marvellous and used to be a researcher at National Institutes of Health. That was only the beginning of his career and thereafter he became renowned as thyroid authority nationwide. He will consult with your physician too if your tests prove "normal" (wide ranges apply, that's one of Shames's concerns especially if people test borderline low/normal yet still are symptomatic). He is not cheap but I will tell you that he is brilliant. So is his book, if it should interest anybody.
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion...

When your pants are on fire, you throw water on them.

It won't help to throw the water AND fish, marbles, mice and toe nail clippings at the fire.

I've never been a fan of throwing a zillion things at a problem, especially an unknown problem like you are dealing with, for several reasons.

One- you don't know what ingredient, if any, is working to help... is doing nothing for you.. or is causing you more harm.

Two- The more ingredients in the pot, the more chance of having an adverse reaction or suffering from side effects .. but you won't know what is causing the problem and will have to stop everything to relieve the problem(s).

Remember the old saying.. Too many cooks spoil the broth. Same in this situation.

Three- Simple is safer and also cheaper. Why waste your dollars buying the big mixes of things that folks have concocted if you don't need all that stuff? Buy single ingredients and work your way to others if the one doesn't work.

Four- Patience. I've never seen anyone, no matter how hard they've tried- and nearly everyone does try- rush a cure.

I've seen many patients throw everything at Lyme and coinfections and end up MUCH worse than when they started. Hospitalized too for their efforts.

Five- Give one thing a chance to work before adding more stuff in the mix.

If you are suppose to take one pill for a headache and it doesn't work in 2 minutes, you don't take 20 pills at that point, at least not without causing more problems. More isn't always better.

Hope that helps some.

Feel better soon.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement