LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Antidepressants and Anti-Anxiety Meds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antidepressants and Anti-Anxiety Meds
phyl6648
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many take and find antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs helpful living with lyme?

I take an anti-anxiety med and don't think I could function without it. No I am not addicted, dependent maybe but a need yes.. I am sure I have neuro-lyme still searching for answers..

phyl

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did 20 mg of Prozac in the beginning. It helped me.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beagle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone take Wellbutrin? I need to make decision by Tuesday. But fear taking anything else that can screw up antibiotic treatment.

bcb, how long before your current meds helped your symptoms?

Thks

Beagle

Posts: 348 | From MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't take antidepressants. I do take Xanax and Risperdal.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darwinsdream
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darwinsdream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take both antidepressants and antianxiety meds and have for years now. They absolutely do help me.

I have taken Wellbutrin - worked good but made me kind of hyper.

Posts: 140 | From Phoenix AZ | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beagle:
Anyone take Wellbutrin?

i took this drug for 4 days or so a year ago. it was by far my worst experience with any drug ive ever had. terrible panic attacks and hyperventilating. once i stopped it went right away.

maybe youll have more luck. i wouldnt take it if u payed me.

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt no different on Wellbutrin. I'm recently back on 100mg Zoloft. I felt better the first day.

We should always start on low doses of these meds, as we can have atypical reactions.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beagle, I tried Wellbutrin once and had big time anxiety and couldn't sleep even at a small dose. But I am an anxious person.. I know a few who take it and have no problems. Maybe try a small dose to begin with.. Let us know.. Good Luck.
Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nell
Member # 18134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Ativan. I don't have much anxiety, but it helps me sleep. And my LLMD says it helps with nausea, which weirdly is coming from my brain and not my stomach. It does help with that, though not as much as Marinol. And Ativan is very calming. I seem to be able to move the dosages up and down according to how I'm feeling without any problems.
Posts: 5 | From Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
murph257
Member # 30456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for murph257     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doctor is telling me my symptoms are because zoloft is not working for me anymore. Changed to cymbolta on friday. No difference. Got to get on abx
Posts: 22 | From East Quogue, New York | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nell,

I take xanax for the dizzies and nauseau with my severe head issues of neuro lyme.

It absolutely works, but I refuse to take the doses they suggest and keep it to just 2 a day as needed. I was afraid of addiction but this is the sixth doc that told me that it is needed to treat the symptoms and I can gradually go off of it when I am feeling better.

I get very depressed, but my llmd never mentioned any meds for it. I am afriad of the anyway from all that I have read on here? I try to do something "fun" to get over it.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I researched the heck out of these meds and made many youtube videos in layman terms. If your interested in watching them goto:

http://youtube.com/gary1rn or Click Here

Hope this helps you...

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igor's mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igor's mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i take wellbutrin, klonopin and remeron for lyme related anxiety and depressiona nd I am able to function, without them I couldn't. But I had to try several others before these. I am on mino and plaquenil. Don't know if I am better or not yet. So can't tell you they interfer with each other.

--------------------
Igenenex + IGM 18, 23-25, 31, 41, 66, FL 1953, bart, babs, erlich, c diff. Dox 10/10,11/10-5/11 Mino, Buluoke,plaq (2/10) zith (3/11-5/11), Paragone, Flagyl, Ivermectin, Paromomycin, Ceftin, Nystatin(4/11) mepron (4/11-)BW A-L , A-Bart, A-Bab.

Posts: 254 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satya
Member # 30218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Satya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Cymbalta and Ativan. Cymbalta helps mainly with the joint pain and insomnia while Ativan helps with the anxiety, concentration issues, and muscle tension.

Medications that did nothing to help me (or had adverse side-effects) are: Effexor, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft, and Risperdal. I guess I don't do well with antidepressants...

--------------------
Contracted Lyme 1999.
Diagnosed January 2011.

"The seed of suffering in you may be strong, but don't wait until you have no more suffering before allowing yourself to be happy."
� Thich Nhat Hanh

Posts: 64 | From North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here�s some good stuff from the Web:

Alternative medicine
You may be interested in trying to relieve depression symptoms with complementary or alternative medicine strategies. These include supplements and mind-body techniques.

Make certain you understand risks as well possible benefits before pursuing alternative therapy. Don't forgo conventional medical treatment or psychotherapy for alternative medicine. When it comes to depression, alternative treatments aren't a substitute for medical care.

Here are some common alternative treatments that are used for depression.
Herbal remedies and supplements
A number of herbal remedies and supplements have been used for depression. A few common ones include:

� St. John's wort. Known scientifically as Hypericum perforatum, this is an herb that's been used for centuries to treat a variety of ills, including depression. It's not approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat depression in the United States. Rather, it's classified as a dietary supplement. However, it's a popular depression treatment in Europe. It may be helpful if you have mild or moderate depression.

� SAMe. Pronounced "sammy," this is a synthetic form of a chemical that occurs naturally in the body. The name is short for S-adenosylmethionine. It's not approved by the FDA to treat depression in the United States. Rather, it's classified as a dietary supplement. However, it's used in Europe as a prescription drug to treat depression.

� Omega-3 fatty acids. Eating a diet rich in omega-3s or taking omega-3 supplements may help ease depression and also appears to have a number of other health benefits. These healthy fats are found in cold-water fish, flaxseed, flax oil, walnuts and some other foods.
Keep in mind that nutritional and dietary products aren't monitored by the Food and Drug Administration the same way medications are. You can't always be certain of what you're getting and if it's safe.

Also, be aware that some herbal and dietary supplements can interfere with prescription medications or cause dangerous interactions. To be safe, talk to your doctors and other health care providers before taking any herbal or dietary supplements.

Mind-body connections

The connection between mind and body has been studied for centuries. Complementary and alternative medicine practitioners believe the mind and body must be in harmony for you to stay healthy.

Mind-body techniques used to improve depression symptoms include:

� Acupuncture
� Yoga
� Meditation
� Guided imagery
� Massage therapy

As with dietary supplements, take care in using these techniques. Although they may pose less of a risk, relying solely on these therapies is not enough to treat depression. If you try mind-body techniques or other alternative therapies first to treat your depression but your symptoms worsen or don't improve, talk to your doctor.

Coping and support
Coping with depression can be challenging. Talk to your doctor or therapist about improving your coping skills, and try these tips:

� Simplify your life. Cut back on obligations when possible, and set reasonable goals for yourself. Give yourself permission to do less when you feel down.

� Consider writing in a journal. Journaling can improve mood by allowing you to express pain, anger, fear or other emotions.

� Read reputable self-help books. Your doctor or therapist may be able to recommend books to read.

� Join a support group. Connecting with others facing similar challenges can help you cope. Local support groups for depression are available in many communities, and support groups for depression are also offered online.

� Don't become isolated. Try to participate in social activities, and get together with family or friends regularly.
� Take care of yourself. Eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly and get plenty of sleep.
� Learn ways to relax and manage your stress. Examples include meditation, yoga and tai chi.

� Structure your time. Plan your day and activities. You may find it helpful to make a list of daily tasks, use sticky notes as reminders or use a planner to stay organized.
� Don't make important decisions when you're down. Avoid decision making when you're feeling very depressed, since you may not be thinking clearly.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatherguido
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatherguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Effexor at the beginning of Lyme treatment to take the edge off anxiety. Decided it was no longer needed after a few months of treatment.
Posts: 199 | From Let's Go Pens! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure your 'anxiety' isn't really an undiagnosed seizure disorder?

I spent decades on Klonopin and felt the same way...couldn't function without it...definitely 'dependent', though not addicted to it or abusing it in any way, shape, or form...and recently learned I was having partial seizures. And even I misdiagnosed them as 'anxiety' for the longest time. Partial or absence seizures can mimic anxiety or panic attacks...I learned the hard way.

--------------------
Urge Congress on EMF Safety, FCC Must Change Exposure Guidelines for Microwave Radiation Exposure: http://tinyurl.com/2cjq54y
Halt Universal Broadband, A Public Health Hazard:
http://tinyurl.com/3x7xrmq

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken anti-deps for many years now... have had Lyme even longer than that.

In many cases your anxiety will go away if you are on a proper anti-depressant.

I have never taken an SSRI... not sure I ever want to.

I am currently on trazodone and it works great for depression and insomnia.. and I would suspect it helps anxiety also.

Back when I first went on an anti-depressant, I had anxiety.. it went away .. and did not come back until I began Lyme treatment. Then treatment helped get rid of the anxiety. (really only had problems the first few months of treatment)

Hope this info helps someone.

PS.. Trazodone is considered a "tricyclic antidepressant".. There are many drugs in this class.

hmmm.. maybe not:

Trazodone Printable Version
Active Ingredients: Trazodone
Drug Class: Miscellaneous Antidepressants
Rx Status: Available by prescription only
Generic Available: Yes

------

The meds I was on before Traz were all tricyclics... thought this was too.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement