LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Water Filter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Water Filter
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know reverse osmosis is recommended, but we don't think we can install it.

What is your favorite water filtration pitcher or sink filter that attaches easily?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverse osmosis removes minerals. It will deplete you if they are not replaced.
Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My absolute favorite!! water filter is the Multipure www.multipure.com

Their filters are solid carbon block, and remove a very long list of chemicals, heavy metals, MTBE, protozoas, etc from the waters. The lowest amount taken out of the water in their filtration system is 95%, and the very frequently listed highs (averages, really) are up to 99.8%. Further, the water tastes very clear with this filter (as compared to others with bacteriostatic silver filters that I have tried, which leave a metallic taste in your mouth). For those of you who aer interested, you can log on to the website above and see the figures of which chemicals, metals, etc are removed and in what amounts.

For those of you who are interested, here is their performance data sheet, for several of their models (listed on the top of the page) http://www.multipureco.com/br170.pdf

Multipure has an under-the-sink model, a counter-top model, plus one of the latter which can be converted to install under the sink. They also have a whole-house filtering system and if you can afford it, I highly recommend that. Dr Joseph Mercola sent an article by email about how our skin absorbs *more* toxins from the water, which enters our capillaries and the bloodstream, and faster than if we drink the water. Given a choice between a water filter for the sink or shower, he said, choose the shower first. A whole house filtration system will filter your bath, shower, cooking and drinking water, all alike.

You can read Dr Mercola's article here, for those of you who are interested:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/01/26/whole-house-water-filtration.aspx

I am not selling for Multipure, have no inside connections, etc am posting this for the general good.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use a Berkey. I love it because there is nothing to install and we take ours EVERYWHERE with us... when we go out of town, when we go camping etc.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suppose it's not so fancy but we have the Brita large container that goes in the fridge.

We had the faucet one for awhile but had to keep replacing them because they broke so easily, and we have a standard faucet.

It's no fun when they suddenly pop off and water starts shooting you in the face.

My family likes the fridge version because then the water is always nice and cold. It's easier for my five-year-old to get his own water now.

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Icky, would you please describe which of the Berkey filters you have that you are happy with. Does it remove the fluoride (one of the worst that "fries" our pineal gland) that is now legal in many states/cities. It is outlawed in Europe.

Thank you.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!

I will check out your recommendations.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi, to remove fluoride from the water requires a reverse osmosis system. The benefits are that it will remove fluoride, certain forms of gasoline that can (horrifyingly) leak into water systems (when there is a flaw in the system, and of course this probably doesn't happen often). The drawback is that it will also remove all minerals and nutrient value from your water, essentially de-naturing it.

The choice is between lively water that sustains or dead water that also is devoid of pollutants.

The thing to do might be to check with your local Municipal Water District to get a datasheet about the water quality in your area. They are *supposed to be!* full disclosure but of course, one never knows eh? Based on this information, you can then choose a water filter that suits your health needs.

While the Brita filters are nice for removing chlorine, they will not remove the very long list of chemicals and metals from the water that other filters are capable of. Just a headsup for anybody who is concerned about this. The health impacts are *major* not minor.

Recently, a TIME Magazine article discussed the newly-found connection between pesticides and autism and ADHD in children. Heavy metals can cause auto-immune attack, multiple sclerosis, learning difficulties and in some cases, cancer.

It is absolutely important to filter these things out.

Fluoride has been tracked to bone fragility in the elderly, fluorosis in kids' teeth (white discolored patches indicating fluoride toxicity), and learning disabilities/reduced IQ in children. It is more poisonous than lead...all this is according to Linda Rector Page, ND in her book Healthy Healing. Nutritionist Paul Pitchford calls fluoride in the waters a "human experiment" and has a chapter about it in his book Healing wiht Whole Foods (excellent book!) for anybody who is interested to read more.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement