LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » adrenal fatigue/hypothyroidism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: adrenal fatigue/hypothyroidism
lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (finally) after 2 years of unexplained dry skin, fatigue, and hair loss.

I also have adrenal fatigue which I believe is contributing to the thyroid issue.

Because I have low cortisol, I am not able to tolerate the amount of thyroid meds that I need.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Posts: 287 | From Humboldt County, CA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cortef

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is cortef?

Thanks,

Lymers

Posts: 287 | From Humboldt County, CA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You MUST fix your adrenals first or your body will not be able to absorbed the thyroid meds. A great book for this is Stop the Thyroid madness. A great doctor who uses natural supplements to get the adrenals healed is Dr. lam. Go to his websit...just google Dr. Lam and adrenal fatigue
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
365SunnyDays
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 365SunnyDays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymers, Cortef is bio-identical hormone made by the adrenal glands. It can be used to supplement what is made by the adrenal glands to let them "rest", and then weaned off as the glands get stronger.

--------------------
We really know so little about the body and the microbiome.

Posts: 261 | From Southern California | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked the books:

From Fatigued To Fantastic (though note: he's REALLY big on heavy pharmaceutical solutions to things like sleep, while there is a good reason for this in his mind, do research the side effects thoroughly for drugs he recommends. Also, he mentions Lyme treatment but the dosages and treatment timeframe are inadequate, nor does he discuss coinfections).
and Adrenal Fatigue: a 21st Century Disorder (or something similar in the subtitle).

Both recommend getting a handle on sleep disorders, increasing salt, various b-vitamin supplementation, and a number of other nutritional therapies as well as outright drugs like Cortef.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience the adrenals and/or thyroid can't be recovered properly if one is still dealing with Lyme & Co-infections.
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but it should be addressed at the same time as Lyme- it seems like you got a lot better quickly when you addressed adrenal issues, even though you didn't get over the Lyme at that point.

I had a HUGe improvement in symptoms when I followed your lead on that, by the way.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I agree - everything I gained from adrenal support though seemed to come crashing right back down when infection reappeared.

Frustrating - and geared my focus even more on eradicating the infections causing the endocrine issues.

But of course supporting adrenals can only help and it helped me tremendously for awhile

[ 02-18-2011, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: canefan17 ]

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you buy Cortef? Do you have to have a rx?

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Thanks everyone. Does a person always need to go on prescription meds to deal with adrenal issues (such as Cortef)?

My doc has me currently taking just 3 Adrenacort pills per day. Adrenacort is glandular tissue plus other supportive herbs such as licorice to support adrenal funtion.

I think that I'm either not on enough of this or I need to be on Cortef because I can't tolerate my thyroid meds without my pulse getting too high.

So frustrating!

Lymers

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Friend
I would recommend heartily that you get Dr Richard Shames, MD's book Thyroid Power from the library and read it. He is really superb. www.thyroidpower.com

There are herbal solutions to both situations (adrenal fatigue, hypothyroidism) look here:

www.christopherhobbs.com go to the herbal prescriber database, see ailments section, click on appropriate ailments.Christopher Hobbs is one of the world-top phytotherapy authorities, formulates for herbal/vitamin co's across the globe and is a consultant to the health industry world-wide. Talk about a walking encyclopedia (I have studied with him) plus he has 35+ years of practicing experience himself. No slouch whatsoever! Check him out.

SEe also www.healthy.net do a subject search. Only the top MDs/naturopaths/herbalists/acupuncturists post here, this is highly trustworthy information.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Marvellous for adrenal support/balancing:

http://www.iherb.com/new-chapter-stress-take-care-60-softgel-capsules/11205?at=0

http://christopherhobbs.com/database/?details&type=ailments&name=Thyroid, hypo

Page 165 of Thyroid Power by Richard Shames, MD:

"Several interesting reports describe the salutary effects of the herb ashwagandha, whose Latin name is withania somnifera. An aqueous (water) extract of the plant root had a stimulatory effect on both T-3 and T-4 thyroid hormone levels in laboratory animals. In fact, the increase in T-4 was quite dramatic. This product is now therapeutically available, an dit does show promise. The main additional herb we recommend is milk thistle (silymarin) 300 milligrams daily, as an excellent additional antioxidant". Read more in the book Thyroid Power www.thyroidpower.com

lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Chiqita,

Thank you for all the great info. I will do some research.

Lymers

farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At a Christmas dinner I sat next to a doctor. When other people commented that I seemed to be doing much better, I said that I was and that the long months of Bicillin shots had made a big difference. I also pointed out that I had switched to natural thyroid, had better thyroid tests and that had helped, too.

The doctor asked me, "Do you really know why you feel better?" I said "Sure. I am finally getting the right meds. My test numbers show that." He said that I felt better because my adrenal function was improving.

So I got curious and got the book "Adrenal Fatigue" by James Wilson from the library. It really does have a lot of good info in it, if I could only remember and understand it. We will buy the book and my family will help me figure it out. I wonder why I have not have my cortisol levels checked. Or maybe I did and do not remember.

I do know that ever since my thyroid was removed in 1993 I was told that I could not tolerate higher doses of thyroid because of my rapid heart rate. My current LLMD said that some people just naturally have a faster rate, so he ramped up the thyroid and it seems to be working. I am losing weight, too. I had always been underweight until my thyroid was removed.

Now if I can just tolerate the Flagyl I will be doing very well indeed. I have cut down my dose by half and we'll see if I can stand it. Anyone who has suggestions is welcome to PM me! I am exhausted, dizzy, trembling, nervous and achy...must be herxing big time. I am not going to add the Ketek until I feel better, that's for sure!

One thing that does help is a little Gatorade now and then to get the electrolytes balanced. I usually just drink herbal tea, no caffeine. I also had good results with Fioricet for the headaches. My son dragged me back to see the acupuncturist and in one treatment I felt much better and even got my speech working better.

I would add a caution, however. This particular acupuncturist has been working here for more than 20 years. My very esteemed pain doctor referred me (and my son) to him because she said he is truly outstanding. The first time I heard the word "lyme disease" was from him! He said he treats quite a few lyme patients. So if you do want to try acupuncture, do your homework and find a very good acupuncturist.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
farrady- Could you mention who the acupuncturist is. If he is not an LLMD I believe it is OK to do so here
Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Hi Lymers
I am so glad if this could be of help! My best wishes to you and a rapid recovery. PS Dr Shames writes that low thyroid exacerbates illness, and that when the thyroid comes back up, other illnesses begin to improve. What this other doc said about adrenals makes a ton of sense too. The adrenals have a lot to do with immunity and the anti-inflammatory process. What you are writing about is extremely common (adrenal fatigue, low thyroid) and there is *lots!* of hope, with the right medical guidance.

If you are interested, here is where you can find a naturopathic doctor in your area: www.naturopathic.org

I don't know if that interests you but if yes, then there it is.

Also Dr Shames will consult with physicians if you are interested. But he is not cheap, though ohhh soooo worth it. For anybody who is interested, that is an option (I do not work for him and he does not know me personally. I did see him more than 20 years ago, but I am sure he would not remember me).

farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mattnapa, I sent you a PM.

I have a dear friend who is an outstanding naturopath and I worked for many years with that philosophy. I still follow many of the guidelines, but I have to say that I do need the antibiotics.

Even my acupuncturist, a very elderly and seasoned doctor, told me that I needed them. He then told me that he could help mitigate the side effects from them. In fact, he is the first one to tell me to get tested for lyme disease!

But battling inflamation is a big deal that we all need to address. That means careful diet, supplements, lifestyle changes, etc. This is not a disease that you take a pill for and then go dancing!!! [spinning smile]

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

quote:
Originally posted by farraday:

Now if I can just tolerate the Flagyl I will be doing very well indeed. I have cut down my dose by half and we'll see if I can stand it. Anyone who has suggestions is welcome to PM me!

If you can manage to get Tindamax instead of Flagyl, it might be easier to tolerate. It's about $500/month in the US, though- I was ordering it from an overseas pharmacy for less:

http://www.canadadrugs.com/prescription/product/Tindamax/11399/

That place requires a prescription (my LLMD just faxes it to them). It takes about 10 days to arrive.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement