LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » constant pain under left rib cage/intestine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: constant pain under left rib cage/intestine
anjiell
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anjiell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for two years i have had an on and off cramp/nagging pain under left rib cage.i have deceided it is my upper left colon because after an enema it is ok for 2days.i have not found much to relieve it.everything works for a little while and then it is back.i feel it every day now.i keep thinking i will hammer it with antibiotics but i have issues with yeast even with probiotics.i have wondered if it was leaky gut,from having yeast for so long before i treated it.it feels like something bacteria has drilled or is embedded through the intestine and will not go away.i can lessen it with parasitic/yeast treatment but never goes away unless enema is done.if i do not do anything the pain gets so bad with diarrhea constipation,nausea,palps,foggy head.if it were yeast i think diflucan,sporonix and nystatin would of knocked it out.does anyone experience this pain and had success treating it.i am about to try antibiotics or flagyl again to see if it calms down.i am really afraid that some kind of bacteria is resistant in that area.
Posts: 125 | From western mass | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like your spleen.

The spleen is under assault in a Babesiosis infection.

* Babesiosis in otherwise healthy hosts produces an acute infectious disease that resembles malaria. Mortality due to babesiosis is uncommon in patients with normal splenic function.

* Patients who are asplenic have a more fulminant and prolonged clinical course and may have overwhelming infection and a fatal outcome.

source: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/212605-overview

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really could be your colon as you suspect. Have you had a really strong round of anti-fungals? Not just a few pills?

and you're still taking probiotics??

have you had a colonoscopy in the past year?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this same pain for about a year. Have you had an abdominal ultrasound or CT scan? Not to scare you, but in addition to having "dysmotility" (slow digestion basically), I have cysts on many organs, some large enough to push other organs around and cause pain.

Definitely protect yourself from constipation, but maybe try other types of prevention instead of repeated enemas. You don't want hernia surgery. My GI changed my probiotic and that plus acidopholus has helped tremendously.

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is me to a T right now.

It's miserable - slow digestion (you cn feel the food slowly crawling through you), constipation, cysts all over stomach, liver, kidneys, etc

For me it's Bartonella plain and simple.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anjiell
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anjiell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have been on diflucan forever with weeks of ketoconazole,sporonix and nystatin.i know that some people have yeast issues bad which i did,mainly from a feeding tube that shoved it down through my gut and my first treatments did do alot for my gi except this nagging left sided pain.i am starting to wonder if i have leaky gut in that area because when i take probioitic the pain gets worse in that area and i feel not well throughout body.i hope i do not have damage to that part of the intestine.when i do an enema because i feel so ill the second bowel movement always produces some sort of clump of mucous.then the following bowel are normal.the spleen and cyst thing is very interesting,for two yrs my ct scan showed a cyst or possible second spleen?it is not there now since treatment with antibiotics.i have liver lesion that is still there and now having problems with cysts in pelvic area. and my appendix showed past evidence of inflammation and disease.i have had colonoscopy always normal.but my stool has had high cell count. i wonder if babs,bart or lyme can burrow into wall of intestine and i just cannot rid of it. i do fine with yogurt but probiotics can get a little hairy for me.
Posts: 125 | From western mass | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anjiell
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28322

you can get hernias from enemas?
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check for parasites....
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have daily constant pain but it's my lower left side, across under the navel, and to the right.

sometimes constipation, sometimes diahhrea. it's draining and seems like i feel weaker every day.

the pain is worse from 2-4 in the early morning. i sleep for a couple of hours then walk the floor then go back to bed and maybe sleep till 8.

i just wish i could get rid of the pain. it's bad enough having muscles that ache all the time but then add this.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
angielle and canefan-i wish i could talk to youboth. my hands are so bad to type now. i have been dealing with this 3 yrs or more...rifampin made it go away twice but it cam e back wose

buhner tea kept me good for a yr-now back...ultrasound showed lumps...then catscae with contrast showed but not enough to really dx anything...just watch it...i feel like i am sleeping on golf balls...sometims hard tennis balls from this

it is possible that artemisinin is helping it...

i'm at 845-591-1055 if any one wants to talk more about it...

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
really sounds like a spleen issue. Have you treated for babesia ever I also have a splenule( a second small spleen attatchment) i would let your doc know and see he/she can feel any enlargement. I would also suggest an u/s ct scan and maybe a round of babs tx.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anjie....

Please don't forget to break up large paragraphs so people can read what you've written.

THANKS! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
angiell, I did not mean to imply enemas caused hernias--severe constipation caused mine. But relying too much on enemas or other laxatives can screw up your system more, according to my doctor (I am no way medically trained), because your body can become dependent on it.

I am not ruling out that my GI problems and cysts could be caused by lyme or co-infections. I am just beginning that journey. I just wanted to mention cysts because we wouldn't have known about mine without the scans.

--------------------
------------
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sbh,
I've learned that worrying about "screwing up your system more" by taking enemas or laxatives is just backwards thinking.

How can things get worse than THIS?

We're constipated with tons of fecal and toxins recycling through the body. It needs to come out at ALL COSTS.
(I take a product called Dr Schulze IF #1)
It works. take as many as needed to get bowels moving.

I think Bartonella is behind ALL OF THIS.
It disables peristalsis. First it begins with twitching in the stomach for months!... Then eventually the twitching muscles become disabled and non-functioning.

I'm willing to bet all of you with this issue first had muscle twitching in GUT. And now you have knots everywhere.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Fair point, canefan. I don't recall exactly how my gut problems began, as it's been so many years that I've had "IBS," but I suspect you're right about that too.

I will be sure to ask about bartonella at my next appointment.

Edited to add (Angiell)--forgot to mention that what I have relied on for constipation that won't let up is miralax. Insurance covered the prescription version.

I have no idea if that's an option for you, ask your doc, but it's much easier to tolerate than enemas or pill laxatives.

--------------------
------------

jmb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the left rib cage pain, for me, was spleen-related. Two, three-month rounds of Mepron/Zith cleared it up. So it took a while, but it is gone now and has been for a year at least.

I have the Bart too though so I cannot be sure. Of anything really. If there is one thing I am sure of iti is that.

--------------------
enjoy the day.

-jmb

Posts: 208 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anjiell
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28322

all great posts,all i know is my intestinal pain

started after months of prednisone/enbrel and

know one new i had lyme because the first elisa

test was neg even though i had two embedded

with a small rash.anyhow something went wrong

and the only thing that relieves this pain is an

enema and if i do not i will begin to have heart

palps,nausea,stomach,intestines feel blocked,gas

will not move,and severe head fog.i am going to

have to bite the bullet and shell out 500.00 for

some type of babesia testing that is more

accurate.my llmd has told me about it and some fry

lab testing.my reg babesia has come out negative

before.the pain and feeling sick is overwhelming

and i still wonder if it some type of yeast that

has gotten out of control because i was never

told to use probiotics with antibiotics a few yrs

ago when this started.i have read that enbrel

injections have causes fungal infections in immunocomp pts which i kind of was with lyme

not being known.if it is yeast the diclucan and

sporonix does not keep it at bay which scares me.

maybe it is some spleen or babs going on,i am just

so sick of the enema thing and not having relief in that area.

i am having surgery friday for my appendix which

is in a totally different area of my pain but

laparosopy said it may need to come out.wouldn't

that be something if my left sided rib cage pain

stopped!!doubt it but maybe some of this nausea

will cease.anyhow wish me luck for all you

people who have had surgery after lyme i do not

know if you notice but recovery is terrible and

i always have problems with lyme symptoms after

surgery.wish me luck. p.s. i am thinking of trying

colonics way after surgery to see if i can rid of

this issue.while i was having a massage the lady

told me there are many many lyme pts having colonics

because they feel so ill if they do not.it helps

with getting toxins out.i do not know i will be looking into this though.

i would love to take azithro but i get terrible

neuropathy pains with it and chest palps that do

not go away.

co

anjiell
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28322

sorry to keep adding but i am not on antibiotics

for fear of yeast getting worse,but i am having

pins and needle througout legs and both fingers

so bad i just keep rubbing them.they are not blue

which is good but am worried that bart or lyme

is starting up from not being on meds.i also am

having calf cramps like crazy!

anjiell
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28322

just F.Y.I my infectious disease said that people

do need to take diflucan to prevent yeast but has

seen resistant super strains be created with constant use.

that scared the crap out of me bacause of my past

yeast issues.initially i had relief from diflucan

probiotics and nystatin,now just enamas.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement