LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone's Herxing cause body aching (especially in legs?)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone's Herxing cause body aching (especially in legs?)
Bugg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All-

Anyone's herxes cause all-over body aches but ones that can be especially intense in the legs???

Can you feel the pain literally pulsating?

Herxing from plaquenil stinks!!!!

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking anything with Plaquenil? I get this kind of pain from Babesiosis. It feels like my legs are screaming.

I hope it lets up soon for you.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bugg it may not be herxing? I have all over aches, my legs the worst...especially my thigh muscles and hip joints but can head down to my shins.

I asked the LLMD and he said babesia attacts the muscles so it is most likely that. He said he is not treating babesia yet since it is the most intense treatment and the longest. He wants me to rid of lyme first so my body doesnt go through too much at once, this way I can handle the babesia treatment without issues.

SOmeone on hear also told me that the pain all over is from yeast build up rather than the abx. This would makes sense since I didnt have the pain at the start of the lyme diagnosis. I am on diflucan now too.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say babesia too.... though YES, yeast can cause pain.

If it's severe, then more likely babesia.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all so much for the thoughtful responses...

I should have included that I repeatedly test negative for babesia but treated for it for many, many months with an LLMD.....I also don't have yeast issues as this has been explored as well...

I just think it's a bad herx from the cysts being burst by the plaquenil.....

I have not yet added the macrolide abx to the plaquenil as my doc was afraid the initial herx would be too much.....

The achiness only started AFTER starting the plaquenil so I can't imagine it's anything but a herx.....

I'm kind of surprised no one else gets herxes that make them achy from killing borrelia cysts????

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
365SunnyDays
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 365SunnyDays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bugg, I have had this same experience. I have not tested positive for Babs, but believe I may have it due to air hunger, night sweats. I'm taking Doxy and Artemisia.

After my nighttime dose of Doxy (does not happen in AM), the tendons in my calfs/shins ache and throb -- a really weird feeling. I used to have a crackly spot above my left ankle, and that's the area that hurts most. Also, my thigh muscles sort of vibrate, but not really pain.

I've thought this was a Lyme herx (the bugs dying off there), but perhaps it's Babs.

--------------------
We really know so little about the body and the microbiome.

Posts: 261 | From Southern California | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pippi
Member # 21151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pippi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leg aching was one of my main symptoms and/or herx. Yes, they throbbed esp at night. I was diagnosed with Lyme and bartonella. I am much much better after 2 years and 4 months of treatment, almost back to normal. My legs (hips, thighs, calves, feet, big toes! either all together or more typically one area only) still occasionally ache a bit.
Posts: 41 | From Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great minds must think alike, I was just thinking of posting a similar question.

I have been on Doxy and Rifampin for a long time and had added Artemisinin a few months ago because my LLMD suspected babs, despite testing negative.

He just switched me a week ago off the Doxy to Ceftin. Next week I'll drop the Rifampin and start Malarone (I'mm allergic to Zith).

My calves have been aching in a weird way for a couple days.

It almost feels like when I go out in the snow and get snow inside my boot and on a spot on my leg--you know how your leg will get numb from the cold and then ache as the feeling comes back? That's the kind of pain I get, but the whole way from my knees to my ankles.

I'm also just generally feeling blah, not quite achy all over but not wuite right either. Tired a lot more than I had been.

I'm thinking it's probably a herx of some sort.

Posts: 303 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
365SunnyDays
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 365SunnyDays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfall, I've been on abx for nearly 4 months (a short time in the Lyme world, I guess), but I have the same sense as you -- I just feel blah -- not really herxing, not feeling better. Just the same, tired state with some new weird symptoms (like aching tendons in calves).

In my first month on abx, I actually felt great -- like maybe I would get well really fast. But that faded into this just sort of crummy state. I wonder if this is just a light, all-the-time herx from dying bugs, or if this means the abx are not really doing anything much at all.

--------------------
We really know so little about the body and the microbiome.

Posts: 261 | From Southern California | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I hurt all over the whole time I was in treatment. So yes, a herx can include this kind of pain. Could be Lyme. Sure could.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clueless
Member # 30019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clueless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bugg,

My husband's achiness definitely intensified after taking the Plaq....( first round of only 6 weeks of Roc IV tx with Plaq so far). Achy as in waves of pain mostly upper body, chest, shoulders, arms- not so much in legs. Seems as though the worst was the week JUST after he finished his first tx round, bizarre? and not so much during, dunno?? And yes, really tired, and I have noticed more balance issues.

Anyone can comment on dizziness during TX, or balance worsening??? Poor dear walks like he is a little drunk! hicccuupp!!

Seems like people are thinking Babs- we haven't done any Co-infection testing yet, still whacking away at the "Lyme" !!

Hope everyone starts feeling better! Thanks for the support.

Clueless aka Wife of Lyme Sufferer

--------------------
Change is inevitable

Posts: 77 | From France | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Thanks so much for all of the feedback...I really appreciate the support and insight....

Yes, it seems like a herx as it's so strongly correlated to taking the plaquenil.....I also notice, intermittently, the weirdest sensation...It's not "air hunger" but a feeling like a can't take a deep breath through my nose....it's sporadic and definitely correlates to taking the plaquenil (never had this sensation before)...Very Weird!!!!

Clueless-IV Rocephin brought my brain back!!! Awesome drug!!

bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't think Plaquenil actually killed anything. I thought it was mainly used with Zith or Biaxin to raise cellular PH to prevent low PH pools where the Bb likes to hide. This makes the Zith / Biaxin work better.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by bcb1200:
I didn't think Plaquenil actually killed anything.

-
I don't know. Some LLMD's think it's a cyst buster.

(you're right about the other)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Bugg
Member # 8095

bcb1200--

-Both Drs. Donta and Steere have done studies (along with another doc whose name escapes me) that reflect that plaquenil has cyst-busting properties.....

plaquenil also has anti-protozoa properties...

beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wake up with achey/burning legs-thighs especially, now my shins and even my arms. Thought it was bart...now not so sure-maybe babs.

Wish there was a way to tell!

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been getting a lot of body aches too. Maybe its the zith I recently started.
Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camp Other
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had moderate to severe leg and hip pain while treating for Babesia. The severe leg pain generally came as spikes and then moderate pain around it would last for hours, then mild-moderate pain would be ongoing (always there, just bad enough to make me not want to move but not bad enough to wonder if I should go to the ER). Dealing with Babesia really seemed to be the related, because once I stopped treatment I had some residual intense leg pain on and off, but it eventually tapered off to the more typical ache I get in my joints.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement