LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Coconut Oil...pill or solid in jar? Anti-inflammatory?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coconut Oil...pill or solid in jar? Anti-inflammatory?
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, along with 7000 mg a day of fish oil, my LLMD has told me to take 4 Tablespoons of coconut oil daily to combat inflammation that he thinks may be playing a part in my inability to improve.

I heard that it also comes in pill form.

Does anyone have any comments/thoughts on pill vs. the jarred solid and if they think that it actually does anything? I am on my second jar of the stuff and, like usual for me, no change!

Thanks!

~Tri

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Runner17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put coconut oil in my smoothies. It tastes good and is a great way to consume it.
Posts: 132 | From Somewhere | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeThyme
Member # 27926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeThyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stir coconut oil into green tea. It is really good stirred into decaf organic coffee!
Posts: 21 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me to take it, too. He said it feeds probiotics and encourages their growth.

I take a spoonful and wash it down with a drink. Blech!

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using it for about two months now in the morning in my scrambled eggs and on toast.

I love the taste, but don't know if it's helping or not.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one answered the question.

Is the preferred way to take it as a pill or from the jar?

I would say from the jar. A good quality organic extra virgin one.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the jar. I make a snack with two tbsp coconut oil,1/4 c almond flower, packet of stevia and raw sunflower seeds and almonds. It is yummy !

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still no results at all since your first post? Do you take extra virgin organic coconut oil?

If you're still not seeing any changes then it's time to talk to your LLMD and ask him where to go from here.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Triathlete
A med school graduate who healed me of environmental illness/MS-like symptoms about 25 years ago, told me that the nerves are the slowest body system to heal. Slower than bones.

How long have you been taking it?

I would ask your doctor how long s/he thinks it would take until you start to see results.

For myself I know the coconut oil (as topical) helped enormously and also right away when I was having electrical generator-type feelings in my body.

I swallow a god awful tablespoon of it directly in my mouth! Ugh. It may be a lot more fun to mix it in your morning cocoa and put in some stevia or other sweetener.

Perhaps consider putting it in smoothies too.

Best wishes, CI ps and I agree with Gary that if you are not seeing results (keeping in mind that nerves regenerate slowly, ask your doc for a reasonable time frame), you should re-evaluate with your doc. Well said!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

PS Capsules would melt in the small intestines and the oil would be broken down in your stomach, by digestive acids.

I would think that with a thick oil like coconut, that capsules would be directly contra-indicated. I can't imagine that you could metabolize the oil that way and absorb it properly. I would think that the stomach acids would be required to break it down and metabolize it properly.

I am not a nutritionist and am merely thinking out loud. You could ask your doctor about this, and it would be interesting to hear what s/he has to say.

And to answer your question about coconut oil as anti-inflammatory, a naturopathic physician/major researcher in the field, said at a lecture which I attended, that the fats from coconut oil are used for controlling epileptic seizures. Yes they are anti-inflammatory, according to him.

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. You should ask your doctor's opinion about this. Only sharing what I heard.

Best wishes, CI

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tri,

I use the coconut oil (white stuff). I just eat it off the spoon. I hate shredded coconut. It is one of two foods that I avoid (hate marmalade too). But the oil? I love it.

I think it helps.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I highly suggest only using USDA Certified Organic coconut, to ensure you're getting the full amount of monolaurin and other beneficial compounds.

Full spectrum, extra virgin raw/unheated/cold pressed Organic oil is a good choice for absorbency, but there are also products that include more of the flesh besides the oil that are also beneficial if a little harder to use. I've not found encapsulated products that are quite as good, as they tend to use typical processed dried coconut, which lacks many of the benefits of the oil in its natural state. If you really couldn't stand the taste, I'd advise buying some gelcaps of your choice (cellulose/veggie caps many find better than actual geletin for ethical or health reasons) and creating our own pills out of the proper form of coconut oil available.

Though it makes an excellent low-heat cooking substitute for butter or other oils, some of the beneficial compounds (but not all!) denature when heated, so when taking it therapeutically ensure that it is still "raw". Personally I can just eat it out of the jar, especially if it is the type that comes with the flesh included as well, which doesn't have the taste issue of just eating oil directly. Otherwise, its good as a mix-in to just about anything cold.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MurphyNC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MurphyNC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jar definitely, (I have the pills and to get to 4 tablspoons a day, you'd have to take approx 12-15 pills a day - they are big too, like fish oil) probably why I never used them...

Consuming it out of the jar and substituting it for butter or saute oil etc... is easier for me. It can be heated to 350 and still have the benefits.

It's yummy with foods - it tastes good with sauteed veggies, meats, on toast or popcorn or in hot chocolate (I made fried rice with it the other day that I'm STILL daydreaming about! [Smile]

Nutiva tastes the best imo, it's expensive though-you can get it at Wholefoods.
Best,

Posts: 108 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmsfnc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmsfnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flutterboy, specifics about your snack please. Been wondering how to get a tablespoon in me a day. So far only sauteed shrimp in it. That is definitely yummy.
Posts: 239 | From NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it in solid (or liquid) form from the jar.
Also, my husband uses it on me as a massage for my sore muscles and joints.

And I cook with it as often as I can.

I love the stuff!

But I don't buy anything that is "extra virgin". Organic, yes. But virgin is virgin. "Extra" virgin ... no such thing! Just a ploy to make you buy that brand IMO

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IckyTicky,

I was curious about your comment regarding Virgin and Extra Virgin coconut and it appears you are right:

http://www.coconut-oil-central.com/extra-virgin-coconut-oil.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/266229-what-is-the-difference-between-virgin-extra-virgin-coconut-oil/

Thanks for educating us about this.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pill is not a good choice for coconut oil. You'd be taking way too many pills, or simply not taking enough to bother with.

I hear all these nice things about it, and do take it. I don't think it's any great shakes, though, small in the big picture of things for someone with lyme.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use coconut milk to mix with my vitamin powder every morning. I can't taste the coconut, because of the citrus flavor of the mix.

I use coconut oil on my face, and it controls rosacea better than all the meds the doctors were trying through the years.

I mix a little bit with olive oil often when I cook. I don't taste coconut in the final dish, because there are so many other flavors. I don't cook at high temps--stir fry mainly, at M/L.

And I am gluten intolerant, and the only ice cream I know of that's gluten free is based on coconut milk. Their vanilla doesn't taste of coconut at all, and is very good, but too sugary. So, I've used my own ice cream maker, and substituted coconut milk and used xylitol and erythitol for sweetening. It turned out yummy, and if fruit is added, it masks the coconut taste completely.

I make my own brownies, using coconut flour, nut flour, and coconut oil. I can add any sort of flavor, and the coconut flavor doesn't seem to come through. I like coconut flavor, so sometimes I make macaroons, or "almond joy" type of muffins.

I realize much of the coconut oil I take in is heated, but I get a little of the raw every day in the coconut milk.

Since I've seen it work so well with my rosacea, I'm willing to believe it's doing good things in other ways too. I know my cholesterol tests great. Olive oil and coconut oil are the only fats I take in, except a tiny amount of butter at times for flavoring.

I see no reason to pay for capsules. If I needed to eat more raw than I do, I would mix it in something. Since it melts a little above 70o, it could be gently melted and used in dressing or sauces. I don't even mind eating a spoonful of it straight--but that's me. If I wanted to hide the taste, I'd mix cinnamon into it, and maybe some chopped nuts. It would be a treat.

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Daisy, I love your gluten-free ideas above! Thank you!!

Tri, I have found that the coconut oil has been really helpful to nerve inflammation and agitation in my case.

I have written before about applying it topically, but I also did feel some improvements as I took it by the spoonful (ugh!)

It's a great hair conditioner too. If you rub it on the scalp, it absorbs through the skin and I could feel more clear thinking coming in as I conditioned my hair in this way.

In fact I just may do that today, haha! THanks for the idea. (That's what happens as we enforce each others' processes, we get ideas for our own selves eh? You just helped us all and certainly me, Tri! Thank you!)

Best wishes, CI

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement