LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme causes depersonalization or Bart?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme causes depersonalization or Bart?
Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole2011     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear that Lyme itself can cause is but i also hear The co infection Bartinella is the cause of it... Which is it? [confused]

[ 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Nicole2011 ]

--------------------
Neuro-Lyme (possible bart)
Symptoms started Jan 2011::Diagnosed Feb 11th,2011::
*Anything is possible thru God who strengthens me*

Posts: 775 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any time you have an infection it can give you fog. There is not going to be one right answer. Anytime your body is over loaded, or doesnt have what it needs, you can be foggy.

If your toxic, if your tired, if your hungover, if you havent eaten, any of these things can make you feel foggy. So when you have Lyme and Co's naturally youre going to be foggy too.

Best advice is to treat at thoroughly as you can, eat as well as you can and detox as much as you can. Everyone has different stories with brain fog, unfort there isn't one right answer.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole2011     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the best way you would say to Detox?
I've been drinking water all day

--------------------

Posts: 775 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KalynntheLymie
Member # 29457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KalynntheLymie   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you say "Brain Fog" can that be literal too? I've been diagnosed with Bartonella, Babesia, and Lyme. I actually feel like someone took a fog machine and pumped it into my head.

My eyes were checked a million times, and have had 3 MRIs that all came back fine. I just can't seem to fathom what this is. My head is so foggy that i feel like I can't go anywhere because it is so uncomfortable--fluorescent lights, car headlights, darkness, sunny days--no matter what it is I am constantly being caught it this fog!

I also get depersonalization which is the icing on the cake!
[Eek!]
Does anybody else get like this or know anything? Thanks!! [dizzy]

Posts: 18 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

im definetly going thru depersonalization also

--------------------

WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea its bascially the same thing--- depersonalization, brain fog, feeling fuzzy. You feel like you've taken 5 benedryl. Disconnected, hard to process what youre seeing/ whats going on around you, feeling like your not really in the world and all these things are happening around you, etc.

Detox, I would do a quick search on this site. Brushing, exercise, saunas, milk thistle, red root, lemon water, coffee enemas, etc, these are all good detox methods.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bart gave me the worst psyc sx

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think depersonalization and brain fog are the same thing at all. Depersonalization isn't just feeling fuzzy/foggy/hazy.

Here is the mayo clinic definition of depersonalization:

"Depersonalization is a sense that things around you aren't real, or the feeling that you're observing yourself from outside your body.

Feelings of depersonalization can be very disturbing and may feel like you're losing your grip on reality or living in a dream. Many people have a passing experience of depersonalization at some point.

But when feelings of depersonalization keep occurring, or never completely go away, it's considered depersonalization disorder.

Depersonalization disorder can be severe and may interfere with relationships, work and other daily activities."

To me that is different than feeling foggy or fuzzy headed.

I have heard this mostly associated with bart but I am not sure if lyme can cause this as well.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymegal23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think depersonalization and brain fog are kinda the same thing. I think depersonalization is a symptom of brain fog. Brain fog is the blanket term for that weird mental feeling you get with lyme and co's. You feel out of it, not like yourself, outside your body. fuzzy. foggy. unlike yourself, slow, drugged ETC ETC
Posts: 995 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think of brainfog as being that feeling you have when you have an intense flu. I know that the flu can also cause feelings of depersonalization in occasional cases (like high fever) but that's different than the 'you're too brain-dead to keep things straight and have crappy short-term memory' sort of brainfogged feeling that accompanies a normal flu.

For me Lyme was like having the flu for several years straight- many of the feelings were the same , minus the sinus/coughing stuff that happens with flu.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tlime
Member # 29508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlime   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Pam that FOG & DE-PERS are different.

Whitney's point in detoxing and keeping perspective are on point.

treat illness, eat, hydrate, rest, detox, rule out sensitivities...I believe our bodies become more sensitized (were is the spell-check?) to allergens.
for example...I have removed dairy, wheat, sugar and finding it beneficial.

pay attention through out the day to what's is occuring prior to fog (okay maybe fog is all the time : P guess I'm better)...did you eat or drink? what? is it time to detox? there are resources for that...take your pic.

Posts: 40 | From CT | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

it seems like only drinking water isnt enough to detox

--------------------

Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

is it a good thing my depersonalization intensified? Does that mean its getting treated?

--------------------

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only had depersonalization once during my initial bout. It is sooo different for brain fog. It's very creepy. I remember watching some movie with Bruce Willis and this boy who kept saying he saw dead people. I so related to that movie, I thought I was a dead person (zombie) and watching people around me. I never felt that way ever in my life, but it was Lyme or a coinfection I realize now.

Fortunately, it cleared up after several months. It was so weird though.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are subtle differences in the way the individual infections affect the brain. Depersonalization is very much bartonella. Do you have other symptoms of bart?

This is how it affects me. Bartonella depersonalization is feeling detached from others and myself. It is emotional - lack of emotion. It is like being an actor in a poor play with no plot. Your role does not matter. Nothing matters. There is no spark, no motivation, no desire. The part of you that was experiencing life is cross wired so what you feel, other than numbness, is nerve wracking..

When you feel it is often negative. An impulse to explode with rage over the tiniest infraction. Anxiety builds very quickly and things that may have caused you to be a little concerned, now overwhelm you to the point of a breakdown.

Babesia is different. It causes a feeling of drunkeness as if I was drugged. I feel very tired. My brain just won't function. Before my mind can string words together into a sentence, the words fall into nothingness. Meaning is lost.

It also causes anxiety with a tendency to obsess and worry. Memory is affected. There is extreme depression. Complete despair. So the wires instead of sparking and flaming, are burned black and dead.

I can't say how lyme affects my brain because it has never been completely in the foreground all by itself.

Put the other symptoms together to find out which one is in the foreground right now for you. Do you have painful shins or sore feet? That would be bartonella.

Do you have hot flashing with some sweats, tiredness, lack of stamina, breathlessness, air hunger? That would be babesia.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in depersonalization, but with my ocd I'm convinced I'm not me. Sick for someone that has had conviction of who she is for 47 years. I have a few minutes 15 or so here and there of back to me but then it passes. Can't go on for long, my soul hurts for lack of life like this.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't give up lyme in Putman.

You just have to find the right treatment based upon what you actually have.

I used to not think tests were important but now I think they are.
Have you guys been tested (I can't remember)?

There are so many variables and they all need to be addressed - all of the Infections, heavy metals, diet, unresolved trauma.. . .

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks nefferdun. What choice o I have. Were not in a good place with this stuff. Still think God sees all. Feel good.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see depersonalization as an extreme episode of "loss of position sense." Your brain normally knows where your arms, legs, etc. are situated in space because of nerve feedback to the brain. Even when you're not moving, you can close your eyes and you know where your arms and legs are.

When this feedback system gets disrupted due to Lyme and coinfections, you may experience a body part to be in a different position than what you can see visually. This happened to me twice after surgery. I was sitting in a chair with my leg crossed and my brain experienced my leg to be about a foot away from where I saw it visually.

When this feedback system is totally disrupted, you can have an out-of-body experience. My sister (who has Lyme but is half in denial) had an out-of-body experience as she lay in bed during a time in her life of multiple stressors (loss of parent, exposure to noxious fumes (she has MCS), extreme pressure at school.) She actually felt is as if she was leaving her body.

Now it's interesting that so many people with near-death experiences report feeling like they are floating above their body. Since their physical body is shutting down, including the nerves responsible for position sense, but they still have awareness, it is easy to understand this phenomenon.

IMO!!!

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a great group called "Depersonalization" at www.lymefriends.org. Lots of people experience this and share their experiences, ideas, etc in this group.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement