LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » help!!! can't stop eating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help!!! can't stop eating
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for the last week i have been on an eating binge. everything and anything. if i'm awake, i'm eating.

the doctor put me on elavil to help me sleep, but only 10 mg.

i eat breakfast, an hour later a coke and hotdog, then mcdonalds, an hour later chocolate bars...i can't stop.

i absolutely have to take the elavil as i get 1-2 hours of sleep a night.

i'm gaining weight like crazy. i'm going on 200 now and i'm having trouble breathing.

is there anything i can do? is there some natural appetite suppresant?

please help....i've got to stop this.

i am getting huge...and i'm so discouraged...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treat yeast and treat it now

Yeast will make you starving!
I've had those bouts of absolute hunger
I eat so much I start to have breathing and heart issues.

Yeast/Bart/Babs

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah but how can i do this? sorry my brain is not functioning.

my doctor will not give me diflucan so there must be something i can do.

are there any munchies i can eat that won't cause weight gain?

my wonderful husband is starting to really make remarks about my weight...like putting me in the cargo section of a plane or boat...or he can't get me in his plane because i'm too heavy, or....well you get the point...

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canefan17:
Treat yeast and treat it now

Yeast will make you starving!

-
Amen.. Been there.

These help with yeast:

2. You must kill it with anti-fungal herbs and supplements. [e.g....garlic, onion, caprylic acid, Pau D'Arco capsules or tea, clove, grapefruit seed extract, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, tea tree oil, Echinacea, Goldenseal, black walnut, MSM, barberry root, uva ursi, neem leaf, biotin]

--

or buy some Solaray Candida Clear

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i'm taking three drops of grapefruit seed extract in a glass of water.

but i'm soooo hungry....

--------------------

Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear - i lost control of my sugar cravings and ended up with a couple of litres of icecream - and.... drinking pancake syrup. disgusting beyoung belief. since then, and its been 3 weeks, I went on the atkins diet, first 2 weeks according to plan with only proteins, salad and veg, last week adding more veg etc. . And even after this short time a huge difference in the sugar cravings and feeling like i am gaining some control back and not so preoccupied with what I am going to eat next. For me its all in balancing my blood sugars. hope you find your soloution soon.....
Posts: 234 | From BC Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha Liz!

That's how I satisfy my cravings too

Pint of So Delicious Ice Cream & Pancakes (although I make them using gluten free mix + Grade B maple syrup)

: )

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sweet tooth remedy.

2 tbsp Unrefined virgin organic coconut oil
2 tbsp Raw sunflower seeds (unsalted)
2 tbsp Almond flour
1 tbsp UNsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp Stevia

warm it up a couple minutes and I am good to go.

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to say your husband certainly shouldn't be making derogatory comments like that. [Frown]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#1 throw EVERYTHING AWAY, that you should not be eating. Pour windex on it-- GET IT AWAY FROM YOU!

#2 Get down to Whole Foods and get a Candida treatment kit, ask if you can't find it.

#3 Every time you want to eat something go for a walk, try to do something else o distract yourself.

#4 if it gets really bad chew some gum, drink some coffee, do something else that will keep your mouth busy and give you something to taste.

All of this food has to go through your liver, which means your totally bogging down your body and impairing your recovery big time! Just decide to get on track and stick to your guns.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi, it sounds like the problem is the side-effects that you are having with Elavil. Ask your dr to rx a different med for sleep, for instance, gabatril. It's an anticonvulsant, but it causes deep stage sleep---which is what Lymies are so often lacking.

Elavil can cause hypo or hyperglycemia, so . . . And, of course, Lymies often have paradoxical reactions to meds.

While it certainly may be true that Candida is a factor, and the diet changes people have recommended (and antifungal remedies) are most probably needed, if this came on suddenly with the Elavil, well, that may be your problem.

People are right about the other advice, too. But I would first look at the side-effects you may be getting from the particular med.

Oh, and you can tell your hubby to . . go jump in a lake? if he continues saying such stuff! Or have a come-back of your own. Yikes! Don't take that lying down (or sitting up)!

PS you could try the diet and Candida advice first and see what happens, but I would keep the other possibility as a strong consideration. Meds can cause all kinds of strange reactions, as many of us know only too well.

Too bad you can't write your own rx for diflucan. But you can follow a high protein and veggie and coconut/olive oil diet and take some anti-Candida supplements. That would go a long way.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was on elvil I blew up like a blimp. I too am on the heavy side and that just made me crazy for food-even the low dose caused problems. I don't need help gaining weight!

And I had to tell my hubby to stop the noises and jokes, wasn't funny.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was on elvil I blew up like a blimp. I too am on the heavy side and that just made me crazy for food-even the low dose caused problems. I don't need help gaining weight!

And I had to tell my hubby to stop the noises and jokes, wasn't funny.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are several reasons why we crave carbohydrates:

A) Leptin in the brain is a hormone that tells us "you have eaten enough". If that hormone is deficient, you will have craves and eat non-stop.
Fish oils encourage the production of leptin in the brain. People who take adequate amounts of (good quality) fish oils, are less prone to midnight snacks et al.
FOr me, if I take the oils, I have about 2% sugar craves. If I go off them, the craves drive me insane. I can tell the difference immediately.

B) YOur body could be starved for fuel, and is trying to make up for what it is missing. You may need some carbohydrates, but the right kind. The complex carbs, not the simple carbs. IE whole grains and nuts, seeds, etc. Get adequate healthy fuel, and the crave could be helped.

C) YOu may need more healthy oils in your diet. If we are low in healthy oils, we get carb cravings. Olive oil, cold-pressed, etc.

D) Have you had your blood sugar checked? Either diabetes or hypoglycemia can cause ravenous sugar craves.

E) Make sure your meals are really deeply nourishing with leafy green vegetables, adequate complex carbs and some protein (not too much, only some. We can eat too much of it for health, fyi). If your body is well nourished, it won't be asking you for craved foods to make up for lost fuel.

F) Finally, we often crave what we are allergic to. I know this very well. Icecream is my favorite *Food*, not my favorite dessert. I had to break the addiction and the fish oils were The Key that helped.

G) Eat a handful of nuts or beef jerky next time you have craves. Protein boosts serotonin in the brain. It is the serotonin lift from sugar that we are craving, and the sugar is the wrong way to go. Do proteins as snacks and often the sugar crave will go away.

YOu don't have to do every one of these steps for success. IT's only a matter of which one happens to apply, for you. We are all different. So only one or two things may be necessary. Try these out and see what happens. Then try the next thing. You'll get there.

See also Earl Mindell's The VItamin Bible of the 21st Century, he has a section about food craves and nutrient supplements that can help to cut the craves.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS have you had your thyroid checked?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadesofpurple
Member # 23923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadesofpurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does sound like a side effect from your new med, but it probably wouldn't hurt to treat yeast. I would try to change that med, it doesn't sound like it agrees with you.

I use a web site to help me keep track of my food & exercise, It really does help you stay on track.

It is :

www.myfitnesspal.com

I have also used :

www.sparkpeople.com

Both sites are free and easy to use that help with weight management.

I would ask the dr if he can give you a different med though. Being overweight is very dangerous in many aspects and your Dr should respect that issue and your issues with it.

They all factor together.

The heavier you are , the more tired you will be, the less you can exercise = happiness for the lyme,ummmm I try not to make my lyme happy...
I do everything i can to smack my lyme down, exercise has helped me tremendously.

I would REALLY try to change that med. & get on a regular exercise program.

I am a vegetarian, but I do take fish oil. I just consider it a health/med thing. I agree with the statement in the above posts about oils being an important factor.

One of my favorite snacks is celery sticks topped with roasted red pepper hummus. It is filling and doesn't do too much damage calorie-wise, and is healthy. If you don't like celery you can eat the hummus on just about anything, since it is a protein I think it helps from further snacking.

I also snack on 1/8 to 1/4 cup nuts almost everyday(cashews/almonds/pistachios/ whatever you prefer, i try to rotate the type of nut)

You just have to be careful to measure when it comes to nuts, they are calorie dense and can add pounds if you are not diligent with the measuring cup.

I also will eat a whole bell pepper if I am hungry and want a snack. HEY, it works for me.

I don't eat a lot of processed foods, Try eating stir fry, that is satisfying yet won't kill your calorie budget.

Let me know if you try the fitness pal site. feel free to add me as a friend, just let me know you are from the Lyme site.
[Embarrassed] )

Posts: 86 | From Central PA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement