LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Botox for eye twitching

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Botox for eye twitching
tonysgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11202

Icon 11 posted      Profile for tonysgirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a major increase in eye twitching lately. It is both eyes and I cannot sneeze or rub my eyes without bringing on massive twitching.

I was wondering if any of you have ever tried or considered Botox for this. The thought of it scares the heck out of me, but the twitching is horrendous now. It is not random anymore, but a series of pretty strong defined twitches in both eyes! I hate it. Has anyone else had this and how did you handle it?

Thanks for your input!

Posts: 157 | From connecticut | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonysgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonysgirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up
Posts: 157 | From connecticut | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seems drastic to me
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care how many wrinkles I have - no way I would ever do botox for any reason.

Have you tried transdermal magnesium? Or IV or IM? Muscles get super twitchy when you're low (and we allllllll are)

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonysgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonysgirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I don't think it's that drastic. If you read about a condition called Blepharism (twitching of both eyes), this is one of the most commonly described treatments for it. Again, I am not really a fan of the idea, just looking for a break from this. In my years of dealing with this illness I have never had both eyes twitch at the same time. I think that is what makes me so uneasy with this. I am also frightened that clients will see this when I am at work.

Since I am not a newbie to Lyme, I have tried several type of Magnesium including what Dr. B suggested in his treatment guidelines. Unfortunately, I have had no luck with any type of Mag. B-12 hasn't seemed to help either. I might ask about the transdermal Mag when I go to the LLMD, but the 2 doc's I have seen don't consider this to be a big deal. Actually, when I have mentioned it, they kind of pu-pu it as if it is not as distressing as it can be.

Am I the only one who has had both eyes twitch at the same time or from rubbing them or sneezing?

Thanks for the input!

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do magnesium for a few weeks and see if it changes.
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, transdermal magnesium works pretty fast.

Botox is a neurotoxin.....you don't want that

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.. .. I've been having twitching and I think it's because I haven't been taking enough magnesium... an Ah Ha moment.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonysgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11202

I don't quite understand the above post from Lymetoo, but I am not new to this. The Mag is not an ah ha moment because it hasn't worked. I tried it back in 2007 at the beginning of my journey. If you read my second post, I have tried all types of Mag, with the exception of transdermal and I thank Lymeinhell for the suggestion of that.

I guess I won't ask any further questions or suggest Lymenet to anyone anymore, a little too snide with the comments. Remember people, not everything is Lyme! Magnesium hasn't been a cure all for everyone. Just thought I would post to see if anyone else has tried the Botox and I got my answer.

Thanks.

Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your query caused Lymetoo to make the connection that apparently she has been having issues with twitching and has not been good about taking her magnesium. It was not meant to be snide only that you reminded her of something that works for her and that she needs to up her dose.

An "ah ha moment" means, so to speak, that a light bulb turned on in her head.

I know you said you have tried all kinds of magnesium but have you specifically tried magnesium sulfate, at least 2cc's via IM shots at least 3 times a week with B12 and B complex? The B12 has to be methylcobalamin. It really does work and B12 and B vitamins are protective of your nerves.

Also what has your lyme and co infection treatment been. Have you done IV? It's only high very high dose orals combos and most especially IV ABX that penetrates the BBB that can get into the brain and start to address the neuro issues.

About Botox I know they use it in movement disorder issues but so far I have not seen it used in the context of lyme disease. Sorry I can't offer any suggestions there.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Botox for treating a symptom of a resilient disease that attacks the nervous system? I say no....
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abx no mo said.. "An "ah ha moment" means, so to speak, that a light bulb turned on in her [Lymetoo] head."

Yes, and to turn a lightbulb on in TuTu's head is an amazingly rare moment that will most certainly go down in history!

[lol]

[lol]

Yo HO Tonysgirl...

Did you see today when he said "2nd sucks"? He caught me off guard and I had to laugh, although he was sincerely disheartened.

Anyhow... have you considered a chiropractor to help untangle and release pressure from the cranial nerves a bit? That MIGHT help?

I've had the eye twitching and it feels like a mini-sledge hammer is hooked onto my eyelashes and it is bouncing around when they twitch... not good.... very annoying.

I've had it happen before in one eye- then the other, one right after the other- but only once in both eyes at the same time.

I can't comment on botox though. No knowledge, sorry.

Another thought ... and I have NO science to back up anything here tonight... but you mentioned rubbing your eyes and sneezing.

MIGHT it help to try an allergy eye drop? Could that be triggering the twitching?

I use one on/off and never associated the twitching with the allergies, but is that possible?

Hope you do find answers to the problem. Do lettuce no!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement