LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I'm having difficulty breathing...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm having difficulty breathing...
Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole2011     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From i woke up this morning my heart has been skip beats, then it would start beating irregular & it would hurt. Now my Chest feel so heavy. & im having shortness of breathe & im not doing anything but sitting down.. Should i be worried?

--------------------
Neuro-Lyme (possible bart)
Symptoms started Jan 2011::Diagnosed Feb 11th,2011::
*Anything is possible thru God who strengthens me*

Posts: 775 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get it a lot. Sometimes my inhaler works, other times it doesn't.

If you are worried though go to the ER. I've been to the ER twice for it. First time was before I found out about the Lyme, they DXed me with Pleurisy and sent me on my way.

Second time they couldn't figure it out, but tested me to make sure I wasn't having a heart attack.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry you are having such a rough time. Please send me a message if you would like to talk further.
Take care

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like babesia, but lyme could also cause those symptoms. It's sometimes hard to tell what the cause is. I know when my daughter was taking doxy it caused her to have alot of heart skips. Her cardiologist told her the Doxy could be causing them. She did alot better on Ceftin.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole2011     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes this is very uncomfortable. I feel like theres an elephant on my chest, Not only when im laying down but stittng up or standing also

--------------------

Posts: 775 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicole,

A friend of mine started treating for lyme back in the fall. Her main symptoms were babs and bart, much like yours.

She started a regular protocol of zith, malarone, bactrim w/ an LLMD and had a terrible time.

Thought she was losing her mind, couldn't sleep, couldn't breath, heart beating out of her chest.

She stopped all but bactrim and saw another LLMD. He told her she was on too strong doses for her size. She is petite.

He reduced her Zith (I think 3 times a week) and now she's able to handle it.

Just something to keep in mind. Whatever you do, check with your doctor first.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennie08
Member # 17351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennie08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my heart checked out last week because of breathing problems and chest discomfort. They did an EKG. Afterwards, it was such a relief to have a clean bill of health for my heart.

Often I brush things off assuming they're Lyme symptoms. Some day it might not be. Hubby had a heart attack and I kicked myself for not going to doctor sooner.

For peace of mind, if I were you, I'd get it checked out.

Posts: 45 | From New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would at least call your LLMD -- zithromax is well known to cause heart symptoms. The symptoms may go away with continued treatment, but your doc may want to adjust the dose or have you stop the med until you get some things checked out.

At this point you don't know if it is a drug side effect or a symptom of lyme or babs or bart.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

Thank you all [Smile]
I will inform my Dr

--------------------

Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

I was actually having this breathing problem before i started treatment, So its a possibility thats its one of the co infections showing up

--------------------

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymegal23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Or it could be part of a herx too

I know alot of people on the boards have that during herxes. Remember herx symptoms are an INTENSITY in your existing symptoms AND the presence of new symptoms as well!!!

Posts: 995 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nicole
I am glad to read that you are going to tell your LLMD.
I Want to stress that you should be examined, in person.
The feeling of an elephant on your chest may possibly be a bit of a concern. Tell your doctor about this.

FYI my LLMD *also* said of skipped heartbeats, that sometimes food allergies can trigger them and also palpitations.

So sometimes it can be something minor.

For me, these symptoms came up when killing off c. pneumonia.

When these symptoms "hit" me as you are describing, I immediately started myself on magnesium and hawthorn to support the heart, alongside Coenzyme Q10. It helped me a lot. As it so happens, my LLMD said that this is frequently used in c pneumonia as adjunct to treatment www.cpnhelp.org

About hawthorn: "....When the isolated constituents were tested seperately in the laboratory, their individual effects were insignificant, whilst the whole plant has unique and valuable properties. Herbal synergy!

Following a four year study commissioned by the German Federal Ministry of Health, Hawthorn has gained full recognition as a heart remedy. The monograph concludes that the , it gently increases the strength and normalizes the rhythm of the heart beat, as well as increasing coronary and myocardial circulation, through a dilation of the coronary arteries...." READ MORE about how it works, constituents, tests, actions and what it helps with, etc: http://www.healthy.net/Materia_Medica/Hawthorn_Herbal_Materia_Medica/223

About coenzyme Q10, what it does and how it works: http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?Id=534

About magnesium by Leo Galland, MD he is excellent: http://www.healthy.net/Health/Essay/Magnesium_The_Stress_Reliever/74

Read about potassium and the heart by Elson Haas, MD http://www.healthy.net/Health/Article/Potassium/2063/3

[ 03-06-2011, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: chiquita incognita ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

PS for hawthorn or any herb available singly, I lvoe the Paradise Herbs product. They are really very high quality and have no alchohol, glycerin, fillers, binders or excipients etc. And they are concentrated. Really good! You can get them at discount from www.iherb.com or www.vitacost.com

However there are many heart-supporting supplements which will mix hawthorne, magnesium and co-q-10 into one single formula, so all you have to take is one pill. It is often best to take one single one rather than a bunch of separate ones, so your body doesn' t have to break down the tablets et al. The more "stuff" to break down, the less benefit of the substance itself which has to be extracted from the tablets/capsules et al.

That said, Paradise Herbs is such high quality and with nothing but a gelatin capsule and no binders, fillers etc I really recommend them.

Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

im actually not feeling that way today so it could've been a herx showing up of my old sypmptoms, But thanks for the advice [Smile]

--------------------

lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you were herxing. Good you're feeling better.. [Smile]

Chiquita gave some good advice about Magnesium, most Lyme patients are deficient and can really feel the effects. Both my daughter and I supplement with Magnesium and I also include CoQ10.. They really help with heart symptoms.

The Hawthorne is a good product as well!

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

Yeah, im going to look into it, thanks [Smile]

--------------------

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Hi Nicole
I just want to say "Caution".
Don't assume herx, don't assume it was not, don't assume anything.
These things can come and go, without notice. IE it can come back suddenly too.
I would suggest you get checked out even if it stopped now. Tell them what happened and of the feeling of the elephant on your chest, that is very important to report as a symptom.

As for the hawthorne, it is high on my list fyi.
According to reading I have done in books by authorities in the herbal field, hawthorn elasticizes and strengthens the heart muscle so it pumps more efficiently. It dilates the coronary artery to allow more blood into the heart. This is a really important herb.

Hawthorn is often paired up with ginkgo because the latter dilates arteries/veins and renders them elastic, so the blood can pass through more efficiently. NOTE: Both herbs are blood thinners, don't mix with other blood thinners.

Motherwort herb: Also helps heartbeat, is high in magnesium so it is helpful for strengthening and stabilizing heartbeats when anxiety is involved. Very bitter, be prepared! Consider the capsule form, it's often included in other heart formulas anyway.

Lulumom is right, many lyme patients are magnesium deficient and this affects the heart (and nervous system too) and can cause irregular heartbeats. My LLMD echoes that lyme patients are often deficient.

I really like the Metagenics magnesium glycinate. This is a more absorbable form but also is less laxative. Magnesium citrate may tend to be laxative but is also well absorbed. Other forms less absorbed, either the citrate or the glycinate are most desirable.

You can buy them at discount from www.iherb.com or www.vitacost.com

Best wishes with this and let us know how it goes! We will be thinking of you. CI

The above information has not been evaluated by the FDA and does not diagnose, cure or prevent any disease.

ericap
Member # 28353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, i have it too and it is associated with babesia. I had this for over 10 years. it used to be worse and so bad (hyperventilating, bricks on chest,etc) i actually passed out and went to the ER (too much oxygen to the brain). Doc said panic attack. Went to a psych, got Zoloft. Found out 10 years later to be what's called "Air Hunger" in the Lyme world. Wish i knew then. It seems to come on stronger when I feel stressed or overwhelmed or body is worn down. Still have it, but not as severe. take care.
Posts: 9 | From virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement