LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does anyone have issues with balance - like falling over standing still?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone have issues with balance - like falling over standing still?
penguingirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been frustrating for me. I don't think I'm really addressing this balance issue since I had started treating lyme in October 2010.

I was on Mino but then could not tolerate it. Then Biaxin/Amantadine which I tolerated but not good for BBB. Then new LLMD said wanted to treat Babesia so now on Mepron/Zith/Plaquenil.

What abx is good for treating balance issues?
I am also lightheaded/dizzy upon standing but the balance is completely different. I can't stand without falling over to the left. I walk funny too.

If it in my brain that is telling me to fall over is there a way to treat this or is this potential permanent damage?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same issue so badly that this is what brought me to the LLMD to start. I feel like I get brain zapped and tip over, even sitting.

I was on omnicef for 2 months and after it go a bit worse for a week or so, the zaps stopped!!
Now I am on zithro with it for the last month and I see it coming back. MY LLMD said that zithro can cause dizziness and balance problems so he reduced the dose.

Now i take it one every other day for 2 weeks, the 1 every day for two weeks and 2 every other day for two weeks..last 2 a day..If I can start to find my balance going off again, he is changing it since it can cause permanent inner ear issues by damaging the hair in the inner ear that give us balance.

You should bring it up to the doctor. I have an ENT that called to make sure none of the abx were going to affect my inner ear (had problem to start) so my LLMD is careful now and he agrees.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Annier. I will followup with my LLMD on Monday.

I think Mino can potentially cause ototoxity (sp?) and I was only on that for 6 weeks. It made everything sooo much worse..

I hope you make progress soon!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOLA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOLA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have exactly the same problem. Been treating since May 09 and wasn't til Sept 10 that LD realized that all ABX had become ototoxic to me due to severe balance problems.

Now trying natural route - Samento/banderol/enula supps. and rifing. So far so good. Don't expect anything quickly but at least I can walk a straight line

Posts: 146 | From Vancouver, BC | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intensive parasite treatment is a big factor with balance problems.
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tlime
Member # 29508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlime   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes I had, got better with antibx+sam/band

detox, detox, detox, breath, breath, breath

Posts: 40 | From CT | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I had a bad off balance/lightheaded/dizzy feeling constantly when I began treatment (and before treatment). It was awful and continued for the first several months before I noticed any change at all. That is one symptom that has improved some for me.

I think that treating babesia (Mepron, Biaxin, Doxy, & Art) for about 4 months must have helped..I am currently on a break from antibiotics, but I think this combo helped somewhat, particularly with that odd dizzy/off balance feeling.

[ 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: skies ]

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi is right on the money. Treating and getting rid of parasites was key in getting my balance back. Very overlooked co-infection in the lyme complex, but a VERY MAJOR factor.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

I had balance issues before I started any abx so I am not sure if the abx is the culprit, but I agree it can make it worse for sure.

Gigi/Gael - I agree about parasite treatment. I have not started that yet. Do you recommend Salt/C or Parastroy or Humaworm? I do not know enough about each of them but maybe if there was a simple method I can work than into my treatment plan..

How do parasites make you off balance? Just curious. Do they mess with your brain signals?

--------------------
 -

glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried to observe this phenomena for several yrs. This is my own observation and conclusion.

First thing that I realized is that Gastroparesis (slow emptying of the colon)plays a big part. I didn't realize I even had this problem for quite a while.

The parasites hibernate in the small intestine and are creating an imbalance by the sheer number and movement. (Picture having a fish bowl in the small intestine with fish and water moving around in it.)

That would throw you off balance and also cause the rocking sensation so many complain about. There is a direct connection between the brain and the gut. (the gut often referred to as the second brain)

I know this may sound strange and maybe even far fetched, but for me after much observation and thought I believe this is the case.

As far as the parasite cleanse there is a TON of info in the archives. You can go to the search bar at the top and type in the different names.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eliz428
Member # 21509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eliz428     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gael,

Please don't take offense to this, but what are you basing this information on? Read many Dr.'s symptom lists including Dr. D and Burrascano and you will see this as a regular neurolyme symptom, not related to a bowel issue or parasites, but to the way that the brain reacts to the bacterial invasion. If you have other information, what is it based on?

Posts: 43 | From Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Eliz,

As I said this is my own conclusion and observation. Symptoms are just that, symptoms and not the cause. Infection being the cause of the neurolyme.

I have had SEVERE neuro Lyme for yrs (big red bullseye on top of my head dx and picture taken by LLMD in 1999)

The only protocols that have gotten rid of this was doing antiparasitics and salt/c. As the infections and parasites left my G. I. track (had them coming out of my scalp as well) my balance issues started to return.

As I stated and you can research this, there is a direct connection between the brain and the gut. Someone posted an article on this here, just can't find it now.

It is a fact that there are neurotransmitters in the gut and that is why it is called the second brain.

I have learned the hard way not to take ANY doctors word for anything and to do my own research. Take my info any way you wish and apply it or not as you see fit.

No, I don't take offense at all to your questioning. [Smile]

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Gael - when you start parasite treatment - is there a way to control (if you have parasites) how they come out?

I.e - I think I would be terrified if I saw any coming out of my nostrils, eyes, ears. Like embarassed if I was in public somewhere and something crawled out.

I can handle the stool aspect but I think I would freak out if I saw them from any other exit..

?

I am thinking of starting the Wormwood combo from Hanna Kroeger next month a week before the full moon.

--------------------
 -

glm1111
Member # 16556

penguingirl,

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. Never had any come out in public. Coming out of the eyes, they feel like grit.

They just don't come running out. It happened all when I was at home a little at a time and then I could just blow my nose.

It doesn't happen to everybody this way anyway. The salt/c is what usually causes them to exit. Relax and just drink lots of water when you take the herbs to keep things moving,

Good Luck,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Thanks Gael! I am less afraid now.

--------------------
 -

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement