LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 1st LLMD appointment results

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1st LLMD appointment results
Dexter
Member # 30590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had my 1st meeting with a doctor who didn't think I was crazy. woo hoo.

after looking at my Igenex results and reviewing my symptoms he decided to put me on Doxy and Ceftin.

he also scheduled me for another visit in a month for a couple of IV bags, Myers and Detox. Is this normal with LLMD's? I am familar with the antibiotics but never heard of the IV's.

since I am paying out of pocket do I need these?

thanks.

Posts: 44 | From Pa | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it is good you have a doc who understands the importance of nutrition (myers) and detox. These aren't the ONLY way to address these additional needs beyond antibiotics, but they can be helpful.

I think there are plenty of people who deal with these needs via supplements, and that can work. The supplements will cost money too, for sure, but perhaps the IV will be more.

You might consider researching some supplements as alternatives, try the IV, and consider what mixture of these things will work best for you. I went for IV's just occasionally and did a lot of the supplement. So, it's not all one or all the other. Also good would be to talk to your doc--does he give these IV's to everyone (if so, why), or just certain patients (if so, why you), and get his thoughts on using supplements to reduce cost, see what he says.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These IVs are not normal in my 9 years of experience helping lyme patients treating with many different doctors.

I only know of one doctor in Va. who does this and she is considered "way out."

Have you ever read the Burrascano Lyme Treatment Guidelines? If not, I suggest you do. You will not see anything like this in these guidelines.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

The supplement list starts on page 28.

You will see supplements you take orally; no IV supplements unless the person is suffering from severe magnesium deficiency. Then, he suggests IV mag to clear it up quickly.

I think Michael above is giving you a very tactful way to find out why the doctor is ordering this for you. You may want to call and ask these things so that it is straightened out before the next appointment and you both know exactly what will happen at that appointment.

I would not pay for such IVs. I would take oral supplements unless the doctor could explain clearly what, in my case, makes these necessary.

If this is the doc's standard protocol for everyone, then it may be time to find a new doctor. (Oh, no!)

Better to find out now. Is this a one time thing, an optional thing, or is there more of the same to come later, etc.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other doctors do sometimes use IV glutathione and IV Myers solution, depending on the needs of the patient.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter
Member # 30590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the replies.

I have read Dr. B's guidelines. that is why I was confused because I saw no mention of the IVs there or here on the board.

I am going to call and ask why he thinks I need the IVs.

Posts: 44 | From Pa | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you have found yourself a very good LLMD. IV nutritional drips are a great way to sustain the system while undergoing treatment. Only a good LLMD who understands how to use these alternative modalities will use them.

It's not the norm because only an Integrative doc knows how to use them and understands the importance of them. Not all LLMD's practice Integrative medicine but IMO it the best way to handle this illness. Oral supplements are great but no where as effective as IV.

You will need oral supplementation along with the IV's.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Good luck.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb133
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb133     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
our LLMD who is an integrative doc gives my daughter an IV of Glutathione every visit. fastest way for her to detox at a cost of $50 an IV

we have stopped doing it at our last visit. He also does Myers Cocktails but we have never needed any.

I do agree that there are other ways to detox as this is expensive but for some people it really is very effective.

So while your doctor is not wrong in prescribing these perhaps you can find a cheaper alternative.

Deb g

Posts: 499 | From Malta, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to an integrative lyme doctor. He is the one who got me well. He did not prescribe IV nutritional drips to me or any of my friends.

However, for someone who is severely ill (wheelchair bound, zombie, bedbound), perhaps he would. (I know they do IV drips in his office, like IVIG.)

I don't get the impression that that is you--severely ill.

Dr. H. in New York did not prescribe any IV supplements for a woman who was a total zombie. He didn't think much of the IV glutathione she was already taking and had her take it orally.

So, this is not typical treatment. That is my only point.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like iv glutathione. I got them at a previous llmd. They were pricey, so i ordered (with rx)/from infuserve america gave myself iv injections. Waaaay cheaper. But you do neef to know how to give an iv injection properly, unless you have a picc. I only know how to do ivs because i was a vet tech in an icu for 12 years. I dont think any old doc would let you do this. I had to prove i knew what i was doing. I have horrible veins and they didnt last too long..This llmd was awesome....i miss her. Aggressive as hell! But "they" got to her. Doc L from ma you rock!

Sorry, having flashbacks...lol.

My next llmd (using the term loosely here) wanted me to do all kinds of drips like you mention. I think they were $150 a whack @2x per week. i think if you are made of money and have a picc line and a bunch of free time go for it. But for me i would only do it here and there.

Never really noticed anything except with glutthione and drips with magnesium (gotta be sure they know how to do the mag) i actually ended up doing magnesium injections im at home. Again with an rx at infuserve. Super cheap. I did give myself a big hematoma one time and it freaked me out. They hurt too..

Good luck

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter
Member # 30590

I called and talked to the Dr. about the IVs. he automatically schedules all of his 1st timers for the IVs but they are not mandatory.

after talking a bit I decided to cancel the IVs and he had no issue with this. my reasoning was that I am not severely ill and should be able to maintain with the oral supplements.

thanks again for all the replies.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement