LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help- I can't keep the doxycycline down anymore??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help- I can't keep the doxycycline down anymore??
jenniferk32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenniferk32   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm waiting for the doctor to call me back but has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? I'm on 200mg am and 200mg pm.

I have been throwing up about 30 minutes later. At first I thought it was a stomach virus and the abx were making me feel worse so I stopped taking them for 2 days. I had been feeling awful plus some coworkers were sick. But now I feel better but I still can't keep them down.

What's weird is that I feel fine one minute, no nausea, and then I'll gag and run to the bathroom and vomit.

Help?

Posts: 107 | From Hesperia, CA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking it with food? Also, don't lay down for at least an hour afterwards. Some people think doryx is easier on the stomach.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toboein
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toboein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in my experience with doxy, it was fine until a few weeks into it , started giving me horrendous nausea. I find it helps to eat first, like bread, crackers, something with substance. empty stomach is ideal but if you take it with food, it kicks the nausea. just dont take it with dairy!

--------------------
A tiny bug no bigger than a pimple on your butt can change your life.

Posts: 101 | From Southern NJ | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lou:
Are you taking it with food? Also, don't lay down for at least an hour afterwards. Some people think doryx is easier on the stomach.

-
Exactly. Take it in the middle of a meal. And Doryx IS way easier on the stomach.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenniferk32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenniferk32   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm taking it with food. I've been on it for 4 weeks and the problem started on thursday.
Posts: 107 | From Hesperia, CA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of food?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I always took it with a full meal.

Not a very good time of year for it anyway as it causes terrible sunburn. Maybe something else?

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As mentioned already, I'd suggest trying to get Doryx. Some insurances pay for it... some don't.

But I've taken both regular Doxy and Doryx and there is no comparison. Doryx was so much easier on the stomach.

Time of year could be an issue though. I guess something like Ceftin could be considered instead until Spring/Summer is over.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme can cause GI problems. You are in herx territory with the four weeks time span. Wondering if this might be a herx. If this problem subsides after a week, while you continue to take doxy, then that will tell you it wasn't the drug after all.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pushingthru
Member # 28734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pushingthru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serious protein right before taking it was the key for me. That said, I still got off it after 2 months because I wasn't good about staying away from sugar and had bad yeast.
Posts: 96 | From Missouri | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenniferk32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30718

Pushingthru- I think you're right about the protein and also any type of food that is digested in acid rather than alkaline. I had an "aha" moment after posting this when I thought about doxy needing to digest in an acidic environment, which is why I can't have any milk or antacids within 2 hours of taking it.

I thought that if the doxy was taken with an acidic food then it would digest more quickly and not have enough time to make me so sick.

So I decided to go with acidic foods instead of carbs. So I took my next dose with spaghetti ala marinara (acidic tomatoes) and some orange juice. It worked! I kept the medicine down. Next meal I had fish and a salad with a vinegarette and it worked too!

So much for food that's supposed to settle your stomach! Bring on the acid!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Right... eat something that will stick to your ribs!! Go easy on the orange juice or you will get yeast for sure.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement