LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does IV really help??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does IV really help??
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scheduled to have picc line inserted next week, and while reading up on the IV side of treatment....It doesn't seem to do that much more than oral abx.

Insurance will only pay for 28 days and I won't be able to afford to continue much after on my own. Llmd would prefer 6wk minimum....for IV.

I've done oral abx for a year and a half and have gotten better, but seemed to of plateaued over the last few weeks. So, is IV worth the Cost, limitations, and risks??

I'm hoping that doing IV will stir things up and continue to hit those lil bastards with oral abx....does this make any sense?

Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son is back to school because of IV antibiotics. He had so many psyche issues and they cleared up. Many other symptoms cleared also. If I remember right it crosses the blood brain barrier better. He is in his 5th month.
Will insurance pay longer for babesia?
Best of luck,

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n2themystic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n2themystic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you done or considered trying intramuscular injections before going to IV?

I decided to try intramuscular injections before going the IV route.

I have been doing injections mon, wed, fri since July 2010. I think I am making good progress!

Posts: 186 | From colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i needed it and it made a big difference

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaB
Member # 26227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
n2themystic - I have not heard of intramuscular injections for Lyme before. Can you elaborate on it? What exactly is it they are injecting and what type of doctor do you see for it? Where are they giving you the injections?

I have been on oral abx for nearly a year - my daughter too - with no improvement for either of us. My daughter is much worse but the LymeMD doesn't want to make any changes in our treatment plan.

--------------------
Dx with Lyme & homozygous for MTHFR. Antibiotics & nutritional IV's didn't help.

Posts: 57 | From Kansas | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NanaB:
n2themystic - I have not heard of intramuscular injections for Lyme before. Can you elaborate on it? What exactly is it they are injecting and what type of doctor do you see for it? Where are they giving you the injections?

Bicillan shots. This is one of the old school Lyme treatments that were effective before the convenience of IV's came around. IV's are more convenient and less painful ( but the shots are much less expensive than IV's ).

I know of a few people who got better with the shots back in the 80's. But I hear they can/will bruise the tar out of your stomach/buttocks.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n2themystic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n2themystic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NanaB - The im injections I get are bicillin. They are given in the upper part of the butt in the big muscle.

My llmd is in another state so he said I could have someone else in my house taught to do them or I could do them myself.

I live by myself so was going to try and learn to do them myself. My local ND who helps my llmd with ordering blood tests offered to do them for me. I got very lucky he was willing to do them and on top of that he does them for free.

So you have several options.

do them yourself, have a family member or friend get trained to do them, or have a local doc or ND agree to do them for you.

Here is video that does a demonstration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spoz3T5D_SU&playnext=1&list=PL0A2124725F6DBC60

Posts: 186 | From colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recently viewed the removal of a picc line, shown by Lymenurse, (Gary) Also known as lymetwister.. I must be naive because I had no idea what was involved in having it placed. Is a Picc Line the same as IV placement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abArO3sUxDI&feature=BF&list=ULla4LL2kNN2U&index=14

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n2themystic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27315

To give you my experience with what Hambone mentioned in regards to pain,etc

The first 6 or so injections do hurt. Its not horrible but they do hurt. Now I hardly notice them and I have fortunately not had any bruising or scarring.

Some tips..

Take the bicillin out of the fridge about 1 hr before injecting.

Either lay down or take the weight off the leg of the side being done.

Go very slow with the plunger. Should take a few min to inject it all. The speed can be determined by your comfort level.

Your llmd can prescribe a numbing cream that you rub on 20 min before the injection.

Walking a bit after or applying heat if it hurts helps.

Again after about 6 injections I hardly feel any pain during or after the injection.

triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a picc line now for over 6 months. 'Have been on IV Rocephin and now IV Doxycycline. This was after five months of orals. Unfortunately...I am still really struggling and very ill. I was hoping that the IV would help me to turn the corner. Unfortunately, it did not.

It does make the difference for a lot of folks. I just am not one of them.

Best of luck to you!

~Tri

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There could be many reasons for plateauing with your treatment. Any unaddressed coinfections or parasites, Bb going into the cyst form or forming biofilm, or the fact that oral abx are not working well enough. If this is the case, IV abx should help you turn the corner. In treatment for late-stage or chronic Lyme, IV is almost always recommended.
Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffee71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffee71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IV saved my life.
Example,I was on oral Rifampin did not do a thing, IV rifampin changed the game within first 4 weeks.

Posts: 191 | From va | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement