LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Breastfeeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breastfeeding
bdb
Member # 31068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bdb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with chronic Lyme, babesia and bartonella in 2005 and was treated aggressively with oral abx and IV ceftriaxone, as well as plaquenil, mepron and malarone. Knock on wood, I am in remission and have been since 2007. I just had a baby - he is 11 weeks old. He was tested using foreskin, cord and placenta samples for Lyme and my co-infections in a lab recommended by a LLMD pediatrician I have consulted with. I took amoxycillin and zith through my whole pregnancy religiously. All of the tests came back negative.

I am now breastfeeding, and am still taking amoxy and zith. I had read (including on here) that breastfeeding is probably safe so long as the infection is in remission and the mother is on abx. However, I am suddenly completely freaking out and questioning my decision and wondering whether I am crazy for breastfeeding, and whether I should stop. Please please let me know any and all info you might have on this. The last thing I want to do is give Lyme to my little precious son, but I also want to give him the amazing benefits of breastfeeding if in fact it does seem to be safe.

Please please help! Thank you!!

Posts: 2 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the answer to your question, but do the abx's you take cross through breastmilk? Are they killing your baby's good bacteria?

I think the Amoxy is safe. Not so sure about the Zith.

I personally wouldn't risk it. I truly understand the desire to breastfeed, but learning the hard way how devastating Lyme is...I feel the slight risk outweighs the benefit.

But that is just me and how I feel. I'm sure there are others who feel differently and I hope they chime in.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiredmom21
Member # 28479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiredmom21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sympathize with your fear.

I breastfed my son for 2 years when I had undiagnosed lyme and he is now positive.

I just had him at a LLMD last week and questioned this doctor over and over. He truly feels like I had Lyme during my pregnancy and he got it in utero.

I had a tick bite when DS was 6 weeks old is why I didn't think so, but this LLMD does not think the tranmission through BM is that great and feels the benefits outweigh the small risk.

I still don't know what I would do if I were to have another child at this point knowing all I know, but just thought I'd throw out what this particular LLMD said.

I think overall your mommy gut is the best thing you can trust and you have done everything right so far. I hate that this disease seems to rob us of the joys of mothering and nursing without fear.

I am sorry you are having to deal with it at all.

Big hug to you.

Posts: 47 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bashibazouks
Member # 28286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bashibazouks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD is very opposed to breastfeeding-- he says in cases where infants actually died from Lyme disease, they had been breastfeeding and thus constantly exposed to new waves of spirochetes. I have no personal experience myself though, so I'm just repeating what he said.

--------------------
Currently infected with Lyme, Babesia, Ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Mycoplasma, & Q-fever.

10 months into treatment, currently on Bicillin, Rocephin, Doxy, Biaxin, and Mepron.

Posts: 87 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently pregnant and absolutely will not breastfeed.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breastfeeding can increase transmission by four times compared to transmission in utero

Apparently breastmilk can be cleaned up by taking chlorella, though I do not know the dosages

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaOD20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bdb--my heart goes out to you. It is obvious that you want to do the best for your son.

Since you have been breast feeding for almost 3 months could you maybe consider having your baby re tested (hopefully for peace of mind) and then making a decision?

I am still very new to all of this but would think if you are in remission and your son tested negative at birth and you are still taking antibiotics that you should be able to nurse him? Wonder if people on here who see the top LLMD's in the country will weigh in.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Posts: 376 | From New York | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter was born last week and I am not breastfeeding. It was a tough decision and it really makes me upset to think about it, but I feel that I do not want to put her at risk. My situation is differnt I am still having lyme symptoms. If you have been symptom free since 07 it sounds like you have a better chance than someone with symptoms.
Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had "fibromyalgia" for the last 3 yrs. I didn't know I had Lyme, bart and probably babs when i was pregnant. My son is now 1 and I breastfed him for 8 months. His tests came back negative for now, but we will retest in another year or so.

The pediactric LLMD i take my 5yr old to worked with "the" Dr. J for an entire summer, and is very good.

She is also a big fan of breastfeeding, so while I was there asked her if I should continue to breastfeed even though I just tested positive for all this. She said that breastfeeding is probably the best thing you can do for your baby right now.

I also asked her about breastfeeding while on mepron and biaxin, and she looked it up and they were in a category 3. She said it was fine, but once I started the rifampin and doxy that I should stop.

I had to stop anyway because I was losing too much weight, but I think breastfeeding is awesome.

I know it sounds crazy but I think it could benefit some of us. You know some cancer patients drink it while being treated.

It's a hard decision, and I'm sorry you're in this position.

Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with breastfeeding. If you were going to expose your baby to Lyme, you would have done so during pregnancy. You've already been breastfeeding this long, why stop now, unless you're worried about exposing him to antibiotics.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know anything except my personal experience. I believe I contracted Lyme, babs and bart before I ever got pregnant. My only symptom was a rash (not a bullseye) and flu symptoms. I had no symptoms during my first pregnancy and 3 years of nursing my oldest son. I began developing chronic Lyme symptoms while I was still nursing my 2nd son. I continued nursing him for several months after becoming symptomatic. I didn't know it was Lyme at the time. Neither of my kids has any symptoms. I plan on getting them tested someday, but it seems entirely possible they just didnt get it from me.

I am strongly anti-vaccine and am SOOOOOO glad. I have heard of a lot of lyme being activated by vaccines so that is something to consider.

Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just went through 3 years of hell with my sickest child who I unknowingly gave Lyme to. I wouldn't want to repeat those years for anything. I nursed both my boys and my oldest until pregnant with the next. I would hate to be in your position but, if it were me with my current knowledge of Lyme, I wouldn't risk it. I would be devestated though.
My thoughts are with you during this difficult time!

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie R
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scientific answer is----there isn't enough research to say anything with any certainty.

You have done everything you can---you were vigorously treated, you are symptom-free, you tested the placenta, cord, and your baby's tissues for evidence of infection and there were none.

Breastmilk is loaded with immune factors that are good for your baby. You've already breastfed him for several months. My advice is----relax, and enjoy your nursing relationship and don't worry. It's not good for your milk supply... [Smile] )))

And please talk to your doctor(s) and don't make a decision based on opinion you get online. Not even my opinion... [Smile]

As a mother, I can tell you I understand to my deepest marrow that you feel completely responsible for your child's wellbeing. Life has uncertainties in it, and we almost always have to make decisions based on limited and incomplete data.

Go with your gut.

Susie

Posts: 234 | From albany, ny | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bdb
Member # 31068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bdb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone! Dr. J is the one who tested my son at birth. My impression from him is that it is ok to breastfeed if your infection isn't active and you're on abx. Anyone else heard this? I don't know, maybe I made a terrible decision. At the time, after a lot of research, it seemed like the right thing to do. But now I am not so sure. I am terrified.
Posts: 2 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bdb, I sympathize with your fears. All I want to add is, after trying and failing to nurse one child (lack of support, too stressed) and sucessfully nursing another for two years, I know the anxieties of both decisions, though I did not know I was infected with lyme either time.

My point is that this is an agonizing decision that even mommies without a chronic illness will beat themselves up for, which does neither you nor your child any good in the long run.

Both breastfed and bottlefed babies can grow up healthy and strong and bonded to their mommies. Go with your gut, and don't beat yourself up. If you decide that continuing is stressing you too much because of your fears, glory in the months that you did spend successfully nursing and go on with life.

We have this tendency to blame ourselves for everything about our children, even things we can't control. One of my children is mildly autistic and discovered late. I have to discipline myself not to blame things I couldn't have known about then--lyme, the signs to look for, the years I spent believing I was just a bad parent (despite other children without issues), now the years we've studied and treated autism when it might be lyme, etc.

Your child will not judge you for this choice you make now. At two years of age, though, let me say that they definitely have an opinion if you try to stop nursing then. [Wink]

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephfino
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephfino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently trying for child #3-my LLMD says if I do get prego NOT to breast feed. I breast fed my other two children, who both are now being treated for Lyme. (Didn't know I had it back then).

Yes- breast is best-but WHY risk it??? Even though you are on ABX- what if??? The risks outweigh the positives in this situation. I would switch to formula ASAP. Just my opinion.

Best of Luck to you and your son.

Posts: 160 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement