LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Exercise intolerance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise intolerance
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ehow.com/about_5066420_effects-exercise-serotonin-levels.html

Could exercise and sun intolerance be due to excessive serotonin?...
But the heck would serotnin become that excessive and cause "auto immune" disorders?...

Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shahbah - I think most people with chronic lyme have low serotonin. Do you have high serotonin or know of research that shows that lyme patients have high serotonin?

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of us with dysautonomia, low blood pressure causes sun intolerance. It also makes exercise difficult. Heat dilates the blood vessels and drops the blood pressure. The body (especially the heart) has to work very hard to keep blood in the heart and brain with this problem. The lower the blood pressure, the more fatigue and other symptoms when stressing the body with exercise or sun.

There is another theory out there that has to do with Vitamin D, infection and sun intolerance. You might want to look into the Marshall protocol for more information on that.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I popped on to a medical site for you...here is an abstract from an article in the Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders. Its kind of old, but incredibly enough, its got some of the stuff I just mentioned. Geez, I'm impressed with my memory (too bad I haven't seen my car keys or my Discover card in about 3 days! can't remember SQUAT when its practical!).

1: J Autism Dev Disord. 1992 Mar;22(1):33-45. Related Articles, Links

Hyperserotoninemia and antiserotonin antibodies in autism and other disorders.

Yuwiler A, Shih JC, Chen CH, Ritvo ER, Hanna G, Ellison GW, King BH.

Veterans Administration West Los Angeles Medical Center, California 90073.

This study examined the linkage between elevated blood serotonin in autism and the presence of circulating autoantibodies against the serotonin 5HT1A receptor. Information was also obtained on the diagnostic and receptor specificity of these autoantibodies. Blood serotonin was measured as was inhibition of serotonin binding to human cortical membranes by antibody-rich fractions of blood from controls and from patients with childhood autism, schizophrenia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, Tourette's, and multiple sclerosis. The results showed elevated blood serotonin was not closely related to inhibition of serotonin binding by antibody-rich blood fractions. Inhibition of binding was highest for patients with multiple sclerosis and was not specific to the 5HT1A receptor as currently defined. Although inhibition was not specific to autism, the data were insufficient to establish if people with autism differed from normal controls on this measure.

Another connection I have come across is that 'leaky gut' is common in both autism & MS.

Leaky gut used to be thought of as a flaky alternative med concept. However, one very prominent gastroenterologist has studied this phenomenon in celiac disease & has discovered that it does indeed exist. At the present time, he has a funded Phase 2 research study underway testing a drug to improve leaky gut. Results thus far look promising. While this research has focused on celiac disease at this point in time, the doc believes that it will be applicable to other 'leaky gut' states like MS, autism, and others.

In leaky gut, foreign/undigested proteins get into the bloodstream due to an incompetent mucosal barrier in the gut. There is some evidence to suggest that in some cases, the blood-brain barrier is likewise compromised when individuals have leaky gut. The 'bad' proteins can affect the brain & body in two ways: either directly, (like gluten & casein fragments in autism) or indirectly, through an auto-immune reaction, like the myelin destruction in MS.

I am not saying that autism=MS=Lyme but both autistic children and MS suffereers test positive for lyme...

Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Oh, one more detail that tends to confirm this: SSRI anti-depressants cauze electric shocks and brain zaps in some people... the reason must be because anti depressants increase serotonin... Us, neuro lymies, have those symptoms with or without anti depressants...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement