LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » mitochondria

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mitochondria
sandim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sandim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does everyone with lyme have mitochondria damage? How do you know if you do?
Posts: 144 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNA swab/ blood tests that cost 3 grand will tell ya. MitoDX or GeneDX
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sandim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sandim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds way too much. Don't all lyme patients have mitochondria issues?
Posts: 144 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doubt it, but some here believe so. It's all speculation.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme is a trigger for Mito disease. If you already have the genetic genes for it , it can trigger gene expression. These tests can tell people 100% where the defect is in the Mito cascade.

I asked the geneticist what they do for it once found and they put you on high CoQ10 around 400mg - 600mg and carnitine in a prescription product called Carnitor. Other natural products are used also.

Of course LLMDs and alternative physicians have been doing this all along. The geneticist said yes but now through the testing they have the proof about the Mito cascade.

Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some standard blood and urine tests that can sort of test for mitochondrial issues.

I think lactic acid is tested, as it's usually higher than normal in those with a mitochondrial disease.

Genetics testing, as already mentioned, is another option.. But very very doubtful any insurance would pay for it (basically no chance).

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's more complicated than all that. I went through the gold standard work-up including a deep muscle biopsy. No blood test can definitely tell mito issues regardless of what is said. it can only detect 'known; variants and those are few relative to the universe.

No test in isolation = mito unless some genetic tests as mentioned. Elevated lactic acid is an indicator. Elevated CPK may be too. There is also various amino acid tests (blood and urine), as well as a skin biopsy. I saw the best doc in the world in this field probably.

I'm betting I have Lyme, but mito was not diagnosed and I have ALL the muscle weakness / exercise intolerance issues so that's why I saw this presumption may be BS.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
It's more complicated than all that. I went through the gold standard work-up including a deep muscle biopsy. No blood test can definitely tell mito issues regardless of what is said. it can only detect 'known; variants and those are few relative to the universe.

Yep, but if the OP wants to test for markers, no harm doing the lactic acid/amino acid thing, just to check for abnormalities. It's certainly a lot cheaper than genetic testing.

But it'd only mean something (maybe) if it comes back abnormal. But if it does, perhaps highish doses of CoQ10 could be tested.

As for muscle biopsies, how accurate are they? I thought I read they are only so-so... as they can't take a biopsy from your heart, for instance -- well, they could -- but it's not really a place you'd want them to take a sample from. Just wondering if a muscle biopsy came back negative, does it necessarily rule out a mitochondrial disease, or does it simply mean they picked the wrong muscle sample?

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

The tests I mentioned above are being used by Children's hospital of Los Angeles ( MitoDX). And this is the newest of the DNA ones. It by passes any muscle biopsy. Their site is very interesting. I am still wondering if I want to do it or not as it is so expensive.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement