LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Leaky gut, a test, and betaine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Leaky gut, a test, and betaine
mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was discussing this a bit over on the "can you treat lyme, heavy metals, parasites at the same time" thread, but I thought it was becoming more specific to leaky gut, so I though it appropriates to start its own thread. Chiquita has of coures recommended Dr Liz Lipsk's shot book on the subject, but I also would like to suggest a link to an article by Leo Galland on Leaky gut which was mentioned by Karensky which contains a discussion on the lactulose/mannitol test for leaky gut

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?Id=425

And finally I would like to mention betaine or HCL. I had a bit of a historu with betaine because before coming here I had some tough throat systems which I believed were coming from the acid reflux disease LPR. And since most people believe acd refux disease"is caused" by too much stomach acid I was quite surprised to find out that many folks were being helped by betaine/HCL. Counterintuitve to say the least. Now betaine may be helping through a variety of mechanisms, one of which would be for folks with hypochloridia, or too little stomach acid. There is evidence that this disorder is prevalent in folks over 50, but you hear almost nothing about it.

Though it is possible and beyond the scope of my understanding how betaine may be assisting general health, or how it is specifically invovlved with LGS ( Leaky gut syndrome). But since the cause of leaky gut seems to be strongly correlated with pathogenic agents then it might be logical to include that the extra acidity may be killing them and therfore helping LGS symptoms.

I don't mean to imply I thought of this since I have seen the general implication brought forth previously, but it does seem to have a simple logic going for it

Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karensky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karensky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx Mattnapa for posting this article...the lactulose/mannitol test

seems to be the one to start with according to this article...this is

the only test I have come across until reading above article ...

what does he mean by the "direct permeability assay " test as being

the more definative I wonder and what exactly is this test ?

--------------------
"Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues , but the parent of all others "....Cicero

Posts: 254 | From new jersey | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karensky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karensky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mattnapa again...The betaine HCI is indicated for

Hypochlorhydria....in Lipsky's book , she says half the people over

the age of 60 have this due to aging's effect of lowering stomach

acid...the betaine adds back the acid some people may be lacking

and that helps with digestion in general...

--------------------
"Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues , but the parent of all others "....Cicero

Posts: 254 | From new jersey | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mattnapa
Yes in my best understanding, the stomach acids kill off unfriendly bugs and that is why lack thereof could contribute to a leaky gut. Not to mention that foods will be only part digested and this could cause inflammation. Which again can irritate the digestive lining, leading to leaky gut.

I am not a doctor, so this could be off in left field. But I wonder: If there is hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) could it be connected to low thyroid issues? It would be interesting to ask and find out.

I love Dr Galland's article and consider it one to show a physician not familiar wiht leaky gut. It is so good that he writes about testing ins and outs, and protocols et al.

Another thing he mentions which is really important, that the liver bile goes toxic from leaky gut and the health impacts of this. Not at all funny.

Thank God leaky gut is one of those things with a simple matter at its root, even if it makes a big loud noise in the body.

Big problems, simple solutions. That is something this illness has taught me.

Best wishes, CI

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS after reading Dr Galland's article I became convinced that to detoxify....well probably anything,but in particular heavy metals....is absolutely not at all a good idea where leaky gut exists.

We would be way too vulnerable to excess bodily toxicity, and blood toxicity, if detoxing with leaky gut.

And probably, to auto-immune attack especially when detoxing heavy metals.

If it was me, I would want to seal up the gut lining prior to commencing any detox therapy. I can't advise anybody else and the reader should always check with his/her doctor (show them Dr Galland's article first, above and ask them to read it if they are not alternative medicine docs, they won't have heard of leaky gut): My own thought is that I wouldn't even want to start lyme kill-off therapy prior to sealing up the gut lining.

I think sealing it off enables us to deal much better with toxicity issues and therefore with herxing et al.

Toning up the liver would be important too, and the kidneys.

AGain I can't advise anybody else and offer these thoughts only as what I would want to be doing for myself, and that people should ask their doctor prior to following any "advice". Because this is definitely not medical advice. I am not a doctor. This is only a layperson thinking out loud.

Best, CI

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your right CI, you should always go see the doctor. The doctor armed with 1 semester of nutrition, which is already forgotten. And needs a GPS to navigate what is leaky gut. If I mentioned leaky gut to my PCP, he'd probably want to ask me what this is.

But I certainly appreciate the qualification, because we have to have such qualifications otherwise we might get in trouble with the medical gestapo.

We are now in a society where we are to be protected from ourselves. In such society we are no longer free. We might buy supplements not in approval within the medical establishment a huge crime.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaOD20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thread!

CI--what kinds of things would you do to seal up a leaky gut? I have an appt tomorrow w/ a naturopathic dr. (first time) followed by an appt w/ the LLNP that I have been seeing (they are in the same practice).

At these appts we will be addressing recent testing that shows I have issues w/ heavy metals and parasite testing that also indicated candida overgrowth.

Want to make sure I ruled everything out before figuring out how to proceed!

Posts: 376 | From New York | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anna -- The body will allow candida to overgrow. Candida houses mercury thus protecting the body from it, the body allows candida a pass. Its a trade-off, having candida housing mercury is better then mercury destroying tissue.

The body is extremely intelligent and is always in a mode of self preservation. When the mercury goes so goes the candida. So do all you can to get rid of mercury, lead, cadmium and so on.

The problem is candida doesn't want to let it go. So you still have to deal with candida.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Bob- while I like what you say about the body having intelligence, I think the opposing thought ought to be kept in mind as well. Namely that parasites and pathogens seem to have an intelligence, or at least an instinct for survival,to manipulate our bodies for their own purposes as well. So I think this can make the analysis of how candida and other organisms are contained a difficult determination as to whether or not it is the best our bodies can do. After all it is the intent of pathogen to trick our immune system, so determining whether the immune system is knowngly responding seems like a tricky determination

[ 05-11-2011, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: mattnapa ]

Karensky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21350

very interesting thread here...every living entity has "intelligence"

of varying degrees and the natural ability to heal when healthy and

balanced...when out of balance ... help is needed to strengthen and

regain the balance so the body can continue ( in it's infinite

wisdom) to fight off its "enemies"...Bob, what you wrote above

about candida and mercury is a wonderful example of the

complex and intelligent systems the body has in place to protect

itself ...if it is impossible to fully erradicate a particular bacterial

infection with ABX or herbs or whatever...perhaps the body can

at least adapt and "learn to live" with them once they have been

substantially reduced to a level where the body CAN "deal" with

them ?! If you can't outsmart them ( see Mattnapa's thoughts

above ) then perhaps we could learn to live with them...just

sharing some thinking here...

Mattnapa... check out what Wikipedia says about betaine

( trimethylglycine ) in particular it's role in methylation and (if

you understand it the way I did ) you see how it goes beyond

being just an acid in the stomach ...please forgive me my lack of

science-speak here...I'm not great @ remembering all the correct

terminology...but this also points out the complexity and beauty

of the body and why we need professional guidance at times to

determine a treatment plan...on another post there was a link to

the following website...

www.drdebe.com/stomach-acid-assessment.html

this explains how to do a very simple test at home to determine

your levels of stomach acid...this may be a good first step to

then determine whether the subject needs to come up with your

doc...ie : if taking betaine helps the body ( as one of the many

steps involved ) absorb and transport the nutrients it needs to

the appropriate organs then it helps strengthen the body in

general...thus helping to improve the natural ability to fight off

infection etc...whatever doesn't kill us , makes us stronger !

I don't know if I am making a lot of sense here...excuse me if I

am not...it is clear enough in my head...but sometimes the

nuero "issues" get in the way of disseminating my thoughts

clearly...so take this as just another bit of "grist for the mill" for

whatever it is worth... [Smile]

--------------------

philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started taking the Betaine HCL. It is actually working quite well for me. I'm only 33 and everything I had read online discussed people over 50 having low HCL so I wasn't sure if that was what was really going on with me.

Anyway, I tried the HCL after doing the at home test mentioned above. It took me 12 minutes to burp.

I did mention it to my LLMD at my last appt and he said I was kinda young to have this problem but gave the HCL anyway and told me to be careful when taking it.

I took it, had no side effects, and am not having the pain and fullness feelings after eating anymore. So I guess it's doing what it is supposed to do.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karensky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21350

I believe it was the answer for me too as far as the bloating and

full feeling ...also my anxiety levels decreased substantially...I think

due to better Vit B absorption...even lasted a few weeks after

running out of it before kicking back in...I bought more and am

back on it again...

--------------------

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One caution about Betain: It may not be safe to take if one has a stomach ulcer or inflammation in the lining of the stomach.

Also, those who have certain specific Genomic variants may not be able to tolerate Betain (TMG) until other nutrients are provided to support the variant genes that affect a person's methylation cycle (& related cycles).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karensky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21350

Thx Razzle for the warning ! I suppose there would be pain if there

was an ulcer present and so one would know to stop it if previuosly

unaware of an ulcer...as far as the genes aspect...any suggestions

on how one would go about finding out if that is an issue ?

thx again...great advice !

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement