LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ok, am I really cured

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ok, am I really cured
imitchy
Member # 30719

Icon 11 posted      Profile for imitchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my doctor's office called and said my blood test came back normal after 3 weeks of 200mg of doxy.

But since reading all of these horror stories I am so nervous that it may come back.

I have a copy of the test and it says Western Blot IGG & IGM are both negative.

Should I trust this?

Posts: 39 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is possible I guess, just know what symptoms to look for and get to a real LLMD quick. Are your symptoms gone ? Some more will be along I am sure.

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep going on Meds. It's better to do more than under medicated and literally sick for years.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imitchy
Member # 30719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imitchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, my main complaint of extremely painful joints in my hands which kept me from working like a normal person seem to be gone.

the weight 20+ pounds has not come off yet.

i am not so full of anger or raging against my coworkers, or crying over crazy thoughts anymore

i guess the waning joint inflammation and tightness in my hands will be permanent

maybe this is it, but i will keep a cautious eye on it because I just can't believe how I could have it for over a year and get cured from 3 weeks of doxy

Posts: 39 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way you could have it for a year and be cured in 3 wks. Do NOT go by testing to decide when to stop treatment.

Did you have positive bands show up? Was this test through Igenex lab?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband did the 4 week course of Doxy within weeks of his initial infection. His symptoms resolved. He and his doctor thought he was cured.

Of course, he relapsed. But all the docs said "It can't be Lyme. You were treated."

Fast forward 11 years, and he is finally back in treatment for Lyme, Bart, Babs. He was never treated for co-infections. The Lyme did not resolve after 4 weeks of Doxy.

If he could do it all over, he would see an LLMD and treat adequately for Lyme and all possible co-infections.

The insufficient treatment has amounted to a lot of unnecessary misery and expense.

I'm not trying to scare you. Everyone wants to assume that they will be fine.

You are more likely to be fine if you continue treatment with a doc who understands Lyme and co-infections.

At the very least, be vigilant. And be honest with yourself regarding symptoms. All symptoms are relevant.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imitchy
Member # 30719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imitchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't tell if it was an Igenex lab, sorry I am a little ignorant on the terminology used here.

On the first test before treatment I had 2 positive bands on IGM and none on IGG

Now it says none on both

Also test for babs and erchs is negative

I was previously on minocycline for almost a year (low dose) once a day for acne

came off that a few months before I tested pos for Lyme

so maybe between both antib's I am ok now

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to be symptom free for 2 months before considering stopping antibiotics. Doesnt sound like your symptom free yet. How do you feel is the big question.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With your history, no. Continue antibiotic therapy if possible. That's my opinion, but I'm not a medical doctor or health care provider in any professional respect.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the mino may have helped.

What are your current symptoms?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not quit antibiotics. You need to continue taking them until ALL of your symptoms are resolved - do not quit until TWO MONTHS SYMPTOM FREE.

See an LLMD ASAP. Ignorant doctors will tell you it is not lyme and you are cured. I would have to say there is something to be scared of if you don't see a doctor that is a LLMD.

Ignorant doctors will label your symptoms everything else under the sun. You will be sent to a rheumatologist for your hands, eventually getting steroid injections that cause the lyme to be untreatable.

You will be sent to a psychiatrist and put on medication to suppress your emotional outbursts. You will lose your job because your will no longer be able to function. Your thinking will become cloudy. You will not even know at times where you are or what you were doing or supposed to be doing.

ALL of us are here because we were not diagnosed correctly and adequately treated. The longer you wait, the harder it is. You need to see someone that can properly identify the co-infections you have and treat everything until you are well.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...My llmd says even if you are "cured" and in remission you should still show positive as your body's immune system was exposed to Bb and antibodies are the defense.

People who have chicken pox will still test positive for antibodies for chicken pox (IgG usually).

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont stop, your not cured if you still have symptoms period, end of story. and even if your symptoms do go away like mine did, they might come back, like mine did.

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imitchy
Member # 30719

i feel that the pain in my hands is gone
waiting to see if i lose any weight

thank you everyone for your feedback
my doctor will not prescribe further antibiotics...surprise.
i may try to see a llmd, but they are not covered by insurance.
i don't have money for it and they seem expensive especially here in dutchess county ny

imitchy
Member # 30719

lyme in Putnam
what llmd do you go to, you can PM me
you seem to be the closest to my area

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of all the things you remember in your Lyme journey, remember this.

What you don't spend now financially, you'll more than make up for in losing everything later. Spend the extra money, accumulate debt -- but do not, and I repeat, do not justify avoiding further treatment under the guise of "can't afford it."

You'll be REALLY sorry. I can't tell you how many people on this forum pulled that stunt and ended up ****s creek.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redriver
Member # 31156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had surgery and needed antibiotics, can a lyme test be done 2 weeks after this and be correct?
Posts: 1 | From minnesota | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Yes, you can still be tested.

--------------------

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely agree with MB. Its the one piece of advice I tell everyone when they come to my support group. I tried to be cheap and "lazy" and see a doc that took ins and was close by. I mean I didnt have a lot of money but seriously you need to find it!

The doctor was not aggressive and it really set me back. I was only there a few months thank goodness. People here even warned me but I didnt listen.

Now I have been disabled for 4 years no end in sight, sure I am slightly better off now, but maybe I would have done better had I gone elsewhere. Make sure you get several referrals from happy clients before you pick a llmd

Go to the best possible doctor from the get go.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MB has got it right!!! I completely agree and can honestly say I was one of those to an extent I was an LLMD but I didnt feel like he was taking me seriously because I wasnt a "bad case" and I've stayed with my LLMD despite warning from people on here because I couldnt afford it. But here I am 3 yrs later looking for a new LLMD and feeling crappy.

Just be Careful and feel better!!!!!!!

--------------------
When the going gets tough. . . I'll keep fighting!
Ms. Geet3721

New LLMD, New abx, New life coming right up!!!!

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a doctor, but from what I understand three weeks of low-dose Doxy is not even sufficient for a new infection. Some people do not herx until week four of treatment.

If you have had Lyme for a year, you need longer and more aggressive treatment. The sooner you get properly treated, the better.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imitchy
Member # 30719

thank you all

Lyme in Putnam sent me the name of her llmd and I am going to see what she has to say

[Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement