LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dehydration with adequate Water Intake

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dehydration with adequate Water Intake
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I weigh 110 lbs. and drink at least 94 oz. (sometimes more) of water each day. I drink no caffeine and usually one 32 oz. water is combined with Alacer electrolyte mix.

My tongue feels like sandpaper and lips are also very dry. I am beginning to wonder if parasites could be drinking all my water supply, as I am still dealing with those.

Sorry to be so lengthy, but could any of the following meds or supps cause this?

Mepron, Zith, Bactrim DS, Nystatin pills, kyolic garlic, oil of oregano, fish oil, vit B, vit D, vit C, biotin, dandelion root, burdock root?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look up "diabetes insipidus" in Google.

Diabetes insipidus is a condition in which the kidneys are unable to conserve water. Symptoms: Excessive thirst--may be intense or uncontrollable.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MAYBE the herbs... can you look those up somewhere??

definitely look into the diabetes insipidis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_insipidus

Also.. you are supposed to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces .. so it would be 55 ounces in your case. Don't drink too much water.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I could actually be drinking too much water? Could that cause the dehydration?

Also, my sodium level is low. Dr. told me to eat more salt.

Just googled and found that dandelion root is a diuretic. Could this cause the problem? I am suspicious of dandelion and burdock because I just added them about a month ago.

[ 04-03-2011, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: jennie46 ]

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've washed out your sodium with too much water. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

And yes, if dandelion is a diruetic, that would be a problem. It could indeed make you dehydrated.

here ya go:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not likely the Burdock, try going without the Dandelion and see what happens...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sky537
Member # 21859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sky537     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try drinking smart water it has electrolytes and the water is distulled so it soaks up the toxins from the lyme... i was severely
dehydrated even though I was dring 8 bottles of polland sping a day...i started smartwater and it changed my labs results to perfect..

Posts: 50 | From nyc | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You probably could benefit from drinking some sea salt mixed in a large glass of water if your sodium levels are low.

But only 1/8 to 1/4 tsp to start cause it can make you herx. It's also antiparasitic.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Thanks for all the info. I will get smart water and try sea salt.

Lymetoo...makes perfect sense about drinking too much water. What can I do now that I am dehydrated though and need to drink more?

I am on Mepron, so was taking dandelion for liver support. I don't think I can take NAC because of amalgams....what else would be a good option for liver support?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jennie 46- In my opinion there is no reason to believe you are drinking too much water. The half your body weight in ounces is a general guideline that is probably a good minimal requirement, but I have never seen evidence that it serves as any type of upper limit for a healthy amount of consumption
Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also look into: (I copied this from Dr. S's site survivingmold.com) I'm looking into this myself.

ADH/Osmolality
Normal Range: ADH - 1.0-13.3 pg/ml; Osmolality - 280-300 mosmol

Antidiuretic hormone (ADH), or vasopressin, is a substance produced naturally by the hypothalamus and released by the pituitary gland. The hormone controls the amount of water your body removes.

Osmolality is a test that measures the concentration of all chemical particles found in the fluid part of the blood.

Symptoms associated with dysregulation of ADH include dehydration, frequent urination, with urine showing low specific gravity; excessive thirst and sensitivity to static electrical shocks; as well as edema and rapid weight gain due to fluid retention during initial correction of ADH deficits.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dehydration = electrolyte imbalance, usually caused by insufficient fluid intake. However, one can also become dehydrated from imbalanced electrolyte levels even in the presence of sufficient fluid intake.

How to fix this? Get an electrolyte drink, or drink fresh home-made fruit & vegetable juices.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karensky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karensky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morin Labs has a product called" Selectrolytes" that contains 165 mg

sodium , 354 mg potassium , 119 mg magnesium per 1 tbsp dose

in a purified water base...no sugars , fats , 0 calories , cholesterol ,

etc...www.morinlabs.com...609 -390 -5983...suggested use...1

tbsp in 8 oz. of water , 2 to 3 times a day...tastes a little salty but

not unpleasant...comes in 500 ml bottle (aprox. 32 servings ) or

a gallon size...

--------------------
"Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues , but the parent of all others "....Cicero

Posts: 254 | From new jersey | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy ,Right On target with your evaluation .
Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My NP pointed out to me when I had similar symptoms, that I was low in sodium. I never cook with salt, and haven't for decades. It's possible in my case that this went overboard. I know most Americans use a lot of salt, and it's in processed foods, etc. For me, when I added salt to my diet the thirst disappeared. She was right.

Again, that was in my case, and the balance is different with each one of us.

As for dandelion root, it is less diuretic than the leaf. It's more a liver support than kidney herb, in the root. About the leaf as a diuretic, it replaces some of the potassium that is lost in excretion. www.healthy.net should have this info or www.christopherhobbs.com

That doesn't mean it couldn't be contra-indicated in your unique case or that supplementing might not be warranted if you happen to have an imbalance. Check with your doctor, ask for testing.

The above information has not been evaluated by the FDA and does not diagnose, cure or prevent any disease.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickntired19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickntired19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't read all of the previous comments but it sounds like you are drinking too much water. Yes, it is possible. You wash out the good stuff and essentially will dehydrate you.

Try taking salt tablets. They are supposed to help.

I will have to ask my sister what she said her problem was, but she had this the whole time she was pregnant with her first child. She since found out it is a deficiency or something.

Posts: 265 | From Oregon | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

All are good suggestions and info.

I have been drinking one 32 oz. water mixed with Alacer electrolyte packet almost daily for months, but guess it isn't working.

I drank one bottle of Smart Water yesterday and cut back to only about 60 ounces total intake and had less urination frequency. I have experienced frequent urination all my life.

I woke up a few times through the night, but my tongue didn't feel dry until around 4:00 am, so that was an improvement. I only urinated once.

Should I drink all Smart Water? Any cheaper alternatives?

I need to look into ADH. Why do we have to ask doctors for everything? My labs have shown dehydration for a couple of months, but nothing was recommended except eating more salt.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear my frequent urination is caused by lyme (and candida). Once you're through treatment, this may go away. But, if you're drinking 100 oz of water at 110 lbs, you are going to go the bathroom a lot.
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

What can I drink between meals that won't cause more yeast issues? I love fruit juice, but don't drink them because they convert to sugar.

Starting feeling really bad a couple of hours ago. Tried to take a nap but tongue was like sandpaper again. Should I keep adding electrolyte drinks for a couple days before seeing my PCP? I just don't want him to think I am a hypochondriac.

Labs in Feb and Mar revealed slightly low sodium at 132 and 133....normal is 134.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Runner17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem. I'm always thirsty and drink a ton of water everyday. Somethings that have helped me include drinking more decaf green tea and drinking coconut water.

If you drink coconut water make sure it is pure coconut water with no sugar added. Or just buy a coconut and drink the water straight from the coconut. Coconut water has natural electrolytes. It really helps me with my thirst.

Posts: 132 | From Somewhere | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I drink unsweetened tea. I know it's dehydrating, but you could drink other kinds of tea that aren't.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your sodium isn't even that low. It barley falls outside the normal range which is probably why the only suggestion was to eat more salt.

Also, when you're dehydrated your electrolyte levels are elevated on your labs....not low as yours are. And drinking too much water can make you hyponatremic.

You say your sodium was low....was your potassium also low? I only ask because that can make you thirsty and drinking too much water can also lower your potassium.

Does your tongue only feel dry at night? If so, maybe you are mouth breathing while you sleep?
I was having issues...not related to lyme (at least I don't think) with constantly being thirsty but I was also craving salt and for me it had to do with my adrenal function. I noticed for me that drinking room temperature water worked best.

Good luck finding out the cause.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scrappy
Member # 25888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scrappy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great post. I have a similar problem where not only do I oft feel extremely thirsty and my body needing fluids, but also my monthly blood work returning low in sodium occasionally.

I drink 64 oz or more of water daily, half salted with Real Salt. I have recently turned to drinking an 11 ounce coconut water daily. Since warmer weather is approaching soon I am also adding vitalyte once daily even though I'm currently not active.

Posts: 56 | From Down Here | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coconut water has plenty of potassium so I would not worry about that supposed concern,
Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jennie -- 98 Ounces of water a day and your 110 pounds ? I soooo think your de-mineralizing and how right lymetoo is! Just wondering if you could drop down to 55 ounces a day all at once or should it be done gradually?

I like coconut water to help hydration as well, but if I really want to hydrate fast, some honey in celery seed tea is helpful and good for the kidneys. Also eating lots of celery a natural form of sodium and lots of potassium as well.

Jennie are you showing any signs of edema, like swollen ankles?

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

If the evidence is clear of significant demineralization in the range of water jennie is drinking then I wish someone could supply a link showing that is the case.
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the book, Surviving Mold... it talks about excessive thirst and still feeling dehydrated is very common with Lyme disease and other biotic illnesses like mold illness.

This is called diabetes insipidus or autonomic dysfunction or POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) due to low vasopressin, ADH (anti-duretic hormone) and aldosterone.

Your doctor needs to order a test for ADH and prescribe vasopressin -the medication is called DDAVP. It helps manage it, but it is still difficult to live with. Hope this helps.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

quote:
Originally posted by philly78:
Your sodium isn't even that low. It barley falls outside the normal range which is probably why the only suggestion was to eat more salt.

Also, when you're dehydrated your electrolyte levels are elevated on your labs....not low as yours are. And drinking too much water can make you hyponatremic.

You say your sodium was low....was your potassium also low? I only ask because that can make you thirsty and drinking too much water can also lower your potassium.

Does your tongue only feel dry at night? If so, maybe you are mouth breathing while you sleep?
I was having issues...not related to lyme (at least I don't think) with constantly being thirsty but I was also craving salt and for me it had to do with my adrenal function. I noticed for me that drinking room temperature water worked best.

Good luck finding out the cause.

Potassium was not low. Chloride was barely low at 94.

The dry mouth does seem to be mostly at night, although I have noticed it very few times during the day and not each day.

I have monitored fluid intake and urine output this morning. Before drinking any fluids this AM, output was 8 oz. After spacing out drinking 32 oz, output has been 21 oz.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement