LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Chest Pains in 15 year old - Please help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chest Pains in 15 year old - Please help
lauriemay1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lauriemay1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has lyme/babiosis and is being treated with flagyl. She's been taking it for about a month and a half. We are supposed to take 3 pills per day but can only tolerate two for now. She has no appetite and her stomache always hurts. Yesterday she started having some chest pains (which I thought was stomach related / gas) and I gave her some pepto and it seemed to help. Then she had really bad back pains.. This morning while getting ready for school, her hands starting shaking, she got dizzy and had shooting pains up her legs, arms and in her chest. This is really scary stuff. Has anyone else experienced this? I have a call into her LLMD this morning. I'm hoping its the medicine that's causing these symptoms. I also learned that she can not have any alcohol what's so ever and she was putting ear care on her ear last night because one of her holes seemed to be infected. I'm sure alcohol got into her system this way. Anyone have any suggestions, pleaswe help...
Posts: 163 | From Central New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, that's exactly how all my neuro symptoms started and for some reason I also feel it is directly related to my stomach so if I eat or drink anything that increases inflammation such as alcohol or any food that I am allergic to, then I am done...
So what helps? if she food allergies, she must be very strict about her diet, avoid alcohol and coffee by all means...
Magnesium, high does of sublingual B12 and avoid stress... Relaxing baths and breathing, drinking a lot of water all help... But this does not get rid of the wahtever underlying cause of all this... I think it has to do with infallamtion in the stomach and gas in the lining tissues... Keep us posted!
Oh one more thing, any medication or supplement has to be taken with food, at least fr me, otherwise the inflammation response comes right away....

Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My teenager had this as well. Severe chest pains and she would suddenly at the same time get weak and fall. It was very scary. She had EKG, ultrasound and heart monitor but nothing was found at all.
She has gotten better and no longer gets this symptom. This was happening while she was on minocycline.
It very well could have had to do with her diet, although at the time I wasn't thinking about that.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lauriemay1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lauriemay1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just talked to her LLMD, he only suggested that we cut down on the flagyl to one pill per day. So is the Flagyl making her have these pains or is it the Babesia? I don't know if that's the right move to make. I really think he needs to change her med completely because to me her symptoms are getting worse not better. So either the Flagyl is not doing it's job or what? I'm very confused. She's been treated for lyme for an entire year now.. I would think by now I would see improvement, not the opposite. Any other stories you can share would be very helpful.
Posts: 163 | From Central New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you heard of a herx reaction. You feel worse while on medication from the die off of the toxins. This can actually be a good sign that it is working.

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lauriemay1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24153

Yes, she has had many herxes before.... but she never felt chest pains and fell over on the floor before. That seems a bit much for a herx isn't it?
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a little confused about what meds your daughter is on. Is she taking the flagyl as part of her babesia treatment or as a cyst buster?

Flagyl can cause peripheral neuropathy as you probably already know.

It is hard to say from your descriptions if she is having nerve pain rather than actual heart pain.

Flagyl can also cause candida issues which could be the cause of any G.I. symptoms.

You should not drink alcohol while taking flagyl, but as far as I could determine when I researched this for hubby the main symptom would be very bad nausea.

Bea`Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lauriemay1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24153

She is only taking flagyl daily right now. The LLMD is concentraining on the babesia at this point. She was treated for Lyme with other antibiotics over the past year. It may very well be nerve pain. She said that the pain goes up her leg and up her arm but stops in her chest. She takes her acidophilus every day to prevent candida. Flagyl is tough on the stomache.. she has no appetite from it. LLMD wanted to switch her meds to another but the meds cost $1000. My insurance didn't hit my deductible and I couldn't afford to switch just yet. I still wish that he would of switched it back to zith or doxy for now with something else like malarone/artesimin.. she handled these meds very well. But since she wasn't improving 100% he switched her to flagyl. She's been taking it for about a month and a half now and has been going downhill instead of uphill. Could this nerve pain be a herx reaction? Seems to be pretty intense. Her hands were going numb also.
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any time you start a new med, you get worse. That is because the new med has a different killing profile from the previous meds.

In other words, the new med is killing germs that the previous meds could not kill.

So, you are to stay on the new med until this isn't happening anymore. That's how you know that it isn't killing any more.

However, you have to be familiar with the med's side effects in case some of the new symptoms are really intolerable side effects.

So, it sounds like your lyme doc is cutting back the dosage so that your daughter doesn't suffer so much but keeping her on the med since it is obviously still killing germs for her. She has only been on it for 6 weeks.

Sounds good to me.

You should see this pattern during her treatment. Any time you start a new med, the symptoms get worse or new symptoms emerge. Then, they slowly get better and better. Recovery from this illness is not a straight line. But, over the span of a year, you should definitely see a lot of improvement.

What you are describing certainly sounds like nerve pain, which can be sharp for a few seconds and make you fall over. So, it doesn't sound like it is anything serious (like a heart attack).

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Numbness in the hands may be caused by flagyl, and it can become permanent if the medication is not stopped. I would double check with the doctor specifically about the numbness in her hands.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to switch to tinidazole instead of flagyl, because of the peripheral neuropathy it caused. Tini is easier to tolerate, although still powerful.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lauriemay1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24153

Regarding Herxes - doesn't it maximize previous symptoms you have had with lyme? She's been on meds for over a year, has gone through many herxes..... but never had this kind of pain before. Today is day 3 of the pain and she can't get up for school. Her hands are numb and her head is like a migraine and she can't lift it up.
brownlymie
Member # 31032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brownlymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This seems to be a medication reaction. I get confused with the side effects of meds and herxing. But I dont think your daughter is herxing.

--------------------
--We are more than conquerors

Posts: 57 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lauriemay1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24153

Yes, i'm very confused with this. I don't know if it's a medication reaction - people telling me that flagyl causes neuropathy - so that means it's not a herx..... I cut i down to one - but no improvement yet. I'm going to make an appt with the LLMD for this Sat. I can get better answers in person versus over the phone. He's very quick on the phone. I'm very worried about permanent nerve damage. She's bad in the morning but as the day progresses, she's much better but gets alot of dizziness. She does have neurological lyme.
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful. Flagyl can be neurotoxic.
Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use the coca pulse test to differentiate between an allergic reaction and a die off.

You can google "coca pulse" or "coca pulse test" for an explaniation of how the test is done. It is as simple of taking your pulse.

You may even be able to do the pulse test without swallowing the medication. Try it with the medication in her hand held over her solar plexus.

Here are some free Coca pulse test forms that I find helpful:
http://www.fmtown.com/public/DOWNLOAD_Coca_Pulse_Testing_Forms.cfm

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texanmom3
Member # 28840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texanmom3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
our teenage son had this too. It was during one of his bad herxes. It is a very scary thing when it happens. I hope your LLMD can give you the answers you are searching for! Let us know what you find out on Saturday.
Posts: 54 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lauriemay1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24153

Steven, how can flagyl be neurotoxic? Anyone?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement