LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Vitamin C Thread Yesterday?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vitamin C Thread Yesterday?
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday there was a thread going about high dose vitamin C. It's either gone or I'm blind. Someone (I don't remember who) mentioned a doc who had cured himself with vitamin C IVs. Can someone PM me some more info on this doc? Vitamin C IVs have helped me a ton, but my doc is not totally Lyme literate sp I'd love to hear about this other doc. Thanks!
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't find it either.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone sent me a message asking about the thread. It was never reported and I never saw it. Sorry. Maybe the original poster removed it?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that too and was interested since my GP treats everyone with IV vitamin C...People claim they feel incredible and energetic from it.

I take 500 of ester C and get acid reflux and stomach issues that I never had in my life. I cannot tolerate any citrus so no lemon water either without burning my entire throat from it? Does anyone take nexium etc with lyme treatment or does it cause more harm?

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out www.betterhealthguy.com, Scott has information and links to creating your own Liposomal C.

This allows for smaller doses and says it can by pass the stomach. I have yet to try it but will do so later this month.

What I am doing is taking powder Vit C and mixing in a blender to reduce the size of the powdered molecules. Just started last week so I cannot say I notice anything yet.

All the Best, Matt H

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not made my own liposomal c, but I did purchase some from liv on labs. It went straight thru me and did not provide the relief the IVs do.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume original posters on a thread can only remove their posts, and since their were numerous posts it seemingly was removed by someone else. It had a bit of contention, so it would be understandable if it was moderated out but it would be nice to know.
Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
annier,
I also have terrible reflux and can't tolerate lemon water, orange juice, spicey foods, etc. It got so bad i was throwing up in my sleep. Scared me to death so my llmd put me on a prescription (protonix). Works like a charm. I do take high dose Vit. C and can tolerate it.

I think reflux is really common in lyme patients. I read recently that it was a symptom of lyme.

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was not moderated by me.

Yes, original posters can remove their own threads. Sometimes valuable information is lost that way!

so.. if you had important links on Vitamin C .. post them here!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original poster probably removed it. I believe I was the last one to post on that thread.

I argued that IF Vitamin C causes neurological Lyme to get worse (and there's really no proof that it does) it could be because neurological Lyme might be a genetic autoimmune condition.

In other words, it's not the borrelia itself that causes neurological problems, it's an autoimmune reaction TO the borrelia that only some people develop due to genetics. Sometimes it develops into MS which is an autoimmune disease where the immune system attacks the myelin coating on the brain.

If that's the case, then it's possible that Vitamin C and other natural immune-boosting supplements such as astralgus, echinacea, and the like might exacerbate this kind of condition.

So members of the mainstream medical community, or its supporters just LOVE situations like this. They jump all over it and use this scant anecdotal evidence to portray Vitamin C as the BOOGIE-MAN and try to scare people away from it so that they'll go to the doctor and be prescribed harmful poisonous pharmaceuticals for which they pay vast sums of money.

The way I see it, Vitamin C is a super-wonder nutrient. I would almost go as far as to say that it's a cure-all, but the reason I can't say that is that researchers have not spent enough time with it, perfecting protocols and combinations for every disease because this would replace most drugs and the pharmaceutical industry would be decimated. And the researchers are funded by the drug companies.

Instead of trying to scare the public, these people should be spending their time and energy coming up with immune-modulating protocols so that the desired immune support can be realized without the autoimmune reactions taking place.

Speaking of neurological Lyme, if you want to flirt with selling your soul to the devil and venturing over to the mainstream medicine side, there is an antibiotic drug that is very effective, actually the MOST effective pharmaceutical drug for neurological Lyme.

It's called RULIDE. But you can't get it in this country (it's available in Australia and Mexico that I know of) because the drug companies and the FDA don't want you to have it. They don't want you to have it because they won't make enough money off of it. They'd rather see you get sicker and die than sell you a drug that will not be super-profitable for them. The drug companies don't want to go through the expense of gaining FDA approval in the U.S. for a drug that won't gain them huge windfall profits. Gotta keep Wall St. happy, you know.

And the doctors don't want to prescribe cheap drugs. They want their commissions, kickbacks, and boondoggles to Vegas where they can go to the bunny ranch and have a grand old time for themselves and make believe they're Tiger Woods for a week or so. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right?

And don't tell me this stuff doesn't go on. Just a few weeks ago, I saw a dermatologist to whom I used to go in a grocery store WEARING A T-SHIRT from one of these boondoggles that a drug company sent him on IN VEGAS. Kind of like a top-producer award.

This kind of conflict of interest should be illegal. But it's not, thanks to the pharmaceutical lobby bribing politicians in Washington.

My opinion is that the general population should not shy away from taking Vitamin C just because bolstering the immune system might have some unwanted effects for a very select few people.

And by the way, the pharmaceutical lobby is trying hard every year to make the sale of all vitamins, supplements, herbal remedies, etc. illegal in the U.S. They've been trying to do that for a long time and they are continuing to try.

Have a nice day.

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klt9751
Member # 28656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klt9751     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was the link that the original poster listed:

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/info/vitamin-c-a-lyme-patient-s-friend-or-foe

Posts: 39 | From Traverse City, MI | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mattnapa:
I assume original posters on a thread can only remove their posts, and since their were numerous posts it seemingly was removed by someone else. It had a bit of contention, so it would be understandable if it was moderated out but it would be nice to know.

Neither moderator removed it, so it had to have been the original poster. If you remove the first post, ALL POSTS in the thread are removed. It tells you that in a warning when you try to remove the first post.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for pointing that out, Six. I forget that some don't know about that. Yes, the warning is there if you go to delete a thread.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chap's is so right about worrying about agenda and following the money. We've all experienced the heavy handed nature of big pharma. It is the puppet master of all medicine in the western world. It affects the studies we depend on, the food we ingest and all forms of medicine.

The person in the link pointing out the dangers of high doses of vitamin C, Tom Grier used a once sided argument. One sided arguments causes my troll alert ot go off and I wasn't alone. And a few folks were able to show how that was not the case and I thanked them for that. Neverless Tom Grier's position was an irrelevant argument to sensationlize a position.

I believe Chaps is correct about the therapeutic power of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is not a singularity, it has many forms and how it's used in the body that needs be explored by medicine. But instead the medical establishment will invest billions on chemotherapy, a poison, instead of any money to research vitamin C or others.

We the people have to change the system of governement where the people can lobby government and not allow special interest too. Until that day, our science will continue to be corrupted by special interest.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did tons of IV C when I was ill. It helped me a lot. It's not an evil vitamin for lyme.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Until that day, our science will continue to be corrupted by special interest.

....And millions of people will continue to die as a result. The holocaust pales in comparison to the number of American lives that have been lost due to this kind of corruption, coupled with the greed of doctors and insurance companies.

--------------------
-chaps

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klt9751
Member # 28656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klt9751     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin C can be very dangerous for some people, myself included.

A varying percentage of Vitamin C converts to oxalate (a toxic anti-nutrient) in the body, which then gets absorbed in your tissues, cells, and organs. Everywhere. And it doesn't happen right away. It builds up slowly, not necessarily even noticeable at first.

I took high dose oral Vitamin C for a few years, completely unaware of the damage it was doing to my body and organs. For me, it was my leaky gut and Lyme that caused me to absorb so much of the oxalates. It probably did as much if not more damage than the Lyme itself.

I now have to stay on a low oxalate diet and keep my Vitamin C intake to a minimum. In fact, I would die if I were given Vitamin C by IV.

So everyone's circumstances are different. Vitamin C can do some good things (as it did for me in the beginning), but these positives are often (ultimately) outweighed by the damage done in the long run.

There's a great deal of research literature available in Pub Med on the connection between oxalate and Vitamin C. I could reference some things if anyone's interested.

Posts: 39 | From Traverse City, MI | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klt -- sorry to hear of your experiences with Vitamin C. What kind were you taking and how much? I take an l-ascorbic which is suppose to be more bioavailable to the body, but just 1 gram a day.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klt9751
Member # 28656

Thanks, Bob. I was taking Sodium Ascorbate, about 4-5 grams daily, and as much as 15 grams with a viral flare or other acute illness.

According to the medical literature, it doesn't matter what form it is--a certain percentage of it will convert to oxalate.

I doubt you'd have much trouble with taking only 1 gram.

Take care, Kelly

mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link discussing Vitamin C consumption and the formation of kidney stones supposedly caused by oxylates. If there is additional information on Vitamin C and oxalates I would be interested

http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v01n07.shtml

Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klt9751
Member # 28656

I have learned what I know about Vitamin C and oxalates from a brilliant scientist in the autism community. Her name is Susan Owens. She has dedicated her life to studying oxalates and sulfur chemistry in general, and she probably knows more about oxalates than any other researcher.

This is some of what I've learned from her:

There are over 400 articles in the Pubmed on Vitamin C and oxalates. Studies show that from 20-65% of Vitamin C is converted to oxalate in the body, and this process can take up to 2 weeks or longer.

The percentage of conversion varies in large part depending on the level of oxidative stress in the body. It can also increase with an inflamed or leaky gut.

Also, the conversion is worse with IV Vitamin C vs. oral since some of the oral is not absorbed, but all of the IV vitamin is.

Most people believe that Vitamin C is purely an antioxidant. But in reality much of it turns to a toxic oxidant once in the body. This apparently doesn't happen with Vitamin C-rich foods--only with supplemental Vitamin C.

Oxalates not only contribute to kidney stones--oxalates are deposited throughout the body, in organs (they especially like the adrenals), bones, eyes, brain, mitochondria, tissues . . .

Here are some studies:

METABOLISM OF L-ASCORBIC ACID-l-Cl4 IN MAN
 BY LEON HELLMAN AND J. J. BURNS
 (Received for publication, September 19, 1957)
n-Ascorbic acid labeled with Cl4 has been utilized in studying the metabolism
of this vitamin in rats (1, 2) and guinea pigs (3, 4). In both
species there is considerable conversion of carboxyl-labeled n-ascorbic acid
to CO2 and significant urinary excretion of labeled oxalate. The important
nutritional role of n-ascorbic acid made it desirable to study the
metabolism of the labeled vitamin in man with special attention to its rate
 of disappearance from the body, relative importance of its various routes of
excretion, and nature of its metabolic products. The results obtained in
this investigation, when compared to those reported in similar studies in
guinea pigs, indicate sharp differences in n-ascorbic acid metabolism in
the two species.

Eur Urol. 1980;6(3):166-9. Related Articles, Links

Effect of mega doses of ascorbic acid on serum and urinary oxalate.

Hatch M, Mulgrew S, Bourke E, Keogh B, Costello J.

Serum and urinary oxalate was determined in 9 normal subjects, ingesting 8 g
of ascorbic acid daily. Serum oxalate levels increased to 310% of control values
during supplementation. Plasma ascorbate levels reached a mean value of 3.6 mg%
far exceeding the previously reported plateau level of 1.8 mg%. Urinary oxalate
gradually increased during ascorbate intake and 7 days post cessation of
ascorbate, rose unexpectedly for all subjects into the hyperoxaluric range.

PMID: 7371664 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Acta Vitaminol Enzymol. 1983;5(4):235-41. Related Articles, Links

Intestinal absorption of oxalate in scorbutic and ascorbic acid supplemented
guinea pigs.

Farooqui S, Thind SK, Nath R, Mahmood A.

Radio labeled U-14C oxalic acid uptake was measured in the intestine of
 scorbutic and ascorbic acid (AA) supplemented guinea pigs. The feeding of
vitamin C deficient diet to the animals for 26 days resulted in a significant
fall in the ascorbic acid levels in the various tissues studied. Supplementation
of vitamin C (10, 25 or 50 mg per 200 g body weight) increased ascorbic acid
levels of spleen, adrenals, liver and leucocytes. The intestinal uptake of
oxalate follows a passive diffusion mechanism in normally fed guinea pigs. The
oxalate uptake rate was significantly increased (p less than 0.001) in the
vitamin C administered group. Vitamin C depletion significantly decreased the
oxalate uptake rate as compared to control animals. The changes observed in the
uptake rate appear to be related with the chemical aberrations produced in the
brush border membranes.

PMID: 6673575 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Am J Clin Nutr. 1981 Mar;34(3):305-11. Related Articles, Links

Urinary oxalate excretion after large intakes of ascorbic acid in man.

Schmidt KH, Hagmaier V, Hornig DH, Vuilleumier JP, Rutishauser G.

The influence of high dose intake of ascorbic acid on the urinary excretion
of oxalate was investigated in five healthy male volunteers. Oxalate was
measured by a newly developed specific method using isotachophoresis. With
intakes of 10 g ascorbic acid (5 X 2 g daily for 5 days; four subjects) mean
urinary oxalate excretion was enhanced from about 50 mg to 87 mg (range 60 to
126 mg) per day. At least 25% of the ascorbic acid was absorbed and excreted
with the urine. On discontinuing ascorbic acid administration, oxalate excretion
returned to baseline values within 24 h. The time-course of oxalate excretion
revealed that following the 3rd dose of 2 g ascorbic acid a plateau in urinary
oxalate excretion was reached (0.6 microgram ml-1 min-1) which was not exceeded
despite additional 2-g doses of ascorbic acid. On termination of ascorbic acid
administration the oxalate excretion rate remained at this level for a further 6
h and then decreased to prestudy rates. No effect of high-dose ascorbic acid
 ingestion was found on the daily urinary excretion of creatinine, uric acid, and
inorganic phosphate. Calcium excretion was slightly reduced. In comparison to
the large amounts of ascorbic acid ingested, the increase in urinary oxalate 
excretion as measured by isotachophoresis in these healthy male volunteers was
very low, and is thus similar to the change in urinary content of oxalate which
results from consuming normal diets.

Nephron. 1989;51(4):536-9. Related Articles, Links

Effect of vitamin C supplementation on renal oxalate deposits in five-sixths
nephrectomized rats.

Ono K, Ono H, Ono T, Kikawa K, Oh Y.

Ono Geka Clinic, Fukuoka, Japan.

We have previously reported that hyperoxalemia can be aggravated by vitamin
C supplementation in regular hemodialysis patients. The present study was 
undertaken to examine the validity of this observation in an experimental 
setting. Fifty five-sixths nephrectomized rats were divided into two groups: 30 
rats were allowed free access to water containing 8 mg/ml of vitamin C (100-160
mg/100 g/24 h) and the remainder given tap water without vitamin C. The serum
creatinine increased and the Hct decreased gradually; however, there was no
difference between the two groups. Plasma vitamin C, oxalate and urinary oxalate 
levels were higher in the vitamin -treated group than the nontreated rats.
Histological examination revealed glomerular and interstitial fibrosis and round
cell infiltration as well as tubular cyst formation. Oxalate deposits in renal 
tubules were found only in vitamin C-treated rats with advanced renal failure.
 Nontreated animals with equally advanced renal impairment showed no oxalate 
deposits. These results confirm our previous clinical findings that vitamin C
supplementation aggravates the secondary oxalosis of chronic renal failure.

PMID: 2739830 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Am J Kidney Dis. 1986 Dec;8(6):450-4. Related Articles, Links

Bone oxalate in a long-term hemodialysis patient who ingested high doses of
vitamin C.

Ott SM, Andress DL, Sherrard DJ.

We performed a bone biopsy on a patient who had been receiving hemodialysis
for 23 years. The bone had oxalate deposition. Previous bone biopsies had shown 
osteitis fibrosis without oxalate deposition. The osteoid area was increased
(11% of bone area), as was the fibrosis (6.1% of tissue area) and aluminum
deposition (38% of surface). Bone formation rate was normal (259 mu 2/mm2/d). We
examined bone biopsies of 22 patients who had been receiving hemodialysis for
over 10 years, and none had oxalate deposits. We discovered that our patient had
been ingesting 2.6 g/d of vitamin C. The bone oxalate deposition may have been
caused by the ingestion of high doses of vitamin C.

Publication Types:

* Case Reports

PMID: 3812476 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Klin Wochenschr. 1987 Jan 15;65(2):97-100. Related Articles, Links

Excessive myocardial calcinosis in a chronic hemodialyzed patient.

Zazgornik J, Balcke P, Rokitansky A, Schmidt P, Kopsa H, Minar E, Graninger
W.

Secondary oxalosis in chronic hemodialyzed patients is caused by impaired
renal excretion and inadequate removal of oxalic acid during hemodialysis.
Ascorbic acid is a precursor of oxalic acid. We report a parathyroidectomized
patient with chronic renal failure, on hemodialysis, who received over a period
of several months a total dose of 91.0 g ascorbic acid i.v. The plasma oxalic
acid level in this patient was 14-fold higher than in healthy persons. Increased
oxalic acid synthesis from its precursor ascorbic acid may be responsible for
hyperoxalemia, high content of oxalic acid in myocardium, aorta and lung, and
calcium oxalate deposition in soft tissues. Application of high doses of
ascorbic acid should be avoided in hemodialysed patients with chronic renal 
failure.

Publication Types:

* Case Reports

PMID: 3560789 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2: Clin Nephrol. 1986 Nov;26(5):239-43. Related Articles, Links

Secondary hyperoxalemia caused by vitamin C supplementation in regular
hemodialysis patients.

Ono K.

Oxalosis can be a problem in renal failure. As vitamin C is a precursor of
oxalate in patients on regular hemodialysis, we have measured plasma levels of 
vitamin C, oxalate, pyridoxine, thiamine and creatinine twice before and 4 weeks 
after a change of vitamin C dosage in 49 dialysis patients who had been 
receiving 500 mg of oral vitamin C daily for more than 6 months. Ten
unsupplemented dialysis patients served as controls. The mean plasma levels of
vitamin C and oxalate were 3.3 +/- 0.3 mg/dl and 50.4 +/- 8.2 mumol/l
respectively. Four weeks after the vitamin C dosage was changed from 500 to 100,
50 and 0 mg, plasma oxalate levels were 34.1 +/- 1.4, 33.3 +/- 3.7, and 25.7 +/-
3.9 mumol/l respectively. There was a strong correlation between plasma vitamin
C and oxalate levels (r = 0.755, p less than 0.01) but none between pyridoxine
and oxalate. A significant correlation was also noted between the duration of
hemodialysis and plasma oxalate levels (r = 0.582, p less than 0.01). Our
results suggest that hyperoxalemia in regular hemodialysis patients is
aggravated by routine vitamin C supplementation. The administration of vitamin C
should be restricted to a dose necessary to correct vitamin C deficiency.

PMID: 3802587 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

You can find many more peer-reviewed studies by searching the PubMed. I also have an excellent powerpoint presentation that Susan Owens put together for an autism conference. It explains oxalates in detail and references high dose Vitamin C. I can send it to anyone who is interested.

Kelly

mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Thanks for your response Kelly. I hope you do not mind that I remain sceptical given the amount of inaccurate rhetoric aimed at Vitamin C by sceptics of various sorts. That being said I am very open to looking at research that you are offering.

I do agree that the gene that is involved in hemachromatosis does put vitamin C supplementers at risk in doses over a gram a day, and that the subset of the population which has this gene should stay away from significant supplementation. This is of course an identifiable subset, and so my questions are regarding the effect on C for those without the aforementioned gene. To what degree the research you are putting forth is making a distinction for these two populations I am not clear about. Nor do I consider myself expert enough to decipher a great deal of clinical jargon that is often used in such studies.

If you have any clickable links which can summarize this it would be appreciated

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

I posted the following quote found in the link below:

http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/oxalates/oxal-test.pdf

quote:
Evaluate vitamin C intake. Vitamin C can bredown to form oxalates. However, in adults, the amount of oxalate formed did not increase until the amount exceeded 4 g of vitamin C per day (27). A large study of more than 85,000 women found no relation betwen vitamin C intake and kidney stones (28). In addition, an evaluation of 100 children on the autistic spectrum at The Great Plains Laboratory revealed that there was nearly zero correlation between vitamin C and oxalates in the urine (Table 2). Megadoses (more than 100 mg/Kg body weight per day) of vitamin C were shown to markedly reduce autistic symptoms in a double blind placebo controlled study (29) so any restriction of vitamin C needs to be carefully weighed against its significant benefits. A very important factor that accelerates vitamin C breakdown to oxalate is the amount of free copper in the blood which can be determined in the advanced metallothionein profile (AMP) or the copper/zinc profile of The Great Plains Laboratory.

--------------------
Bob

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I guess it's just as well that I can't tolerate Vitamin C. Too acidic for me .. all forms of it.

Wreaks havoc on my stomach and my bladder. I worry that I ingest very little of it, since I do think we all need it to some extent.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

first off I take back my comments from this morning for a clickable link. What Kelly submitted in here previous post was a good presentation of some of the significant studies. I would still like to hear a general summary by Ms Owens, but this is certainly a fair attempt. I was in a bit of a hurry this morning and did not take a good look at this.

I remain a little confused as it seemed the Susan Owens who Kelly was quoting was championing the Vitamin C forms significant oxalate hypothesis but has done some of her work on vitamin C, oxalates, autism. Perhaps I got that wrong but if not it seems there is contradictory information since Bob is suggesting a study which shows C is effective for autism.

I hope Kelly might continue to post on this since I think the issue as framed is significant. Yes I tend to have a strong bias in favor of Vitamin C mega-dosing, but I like to think I am open minded enough to accept something contrary. It would seem like there is some good evidence for the connection of C and oxylates, but the largest study referenced by Bob seems to show no connection with C and kidney stones. And it would seem a logical inference to have seen a coorelation according to the etiology suggested by Ms Owens. So I am not sure what to make of this at this point.

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Here's another article, but from Linus Pauling Institute:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w99/kidneystones.html

A big question for me now is the role vitamin C in the context of other supplements or as part of an overall diet. We've had many discussions about KPU and large doses of zinc manganese and a form of B6 in P5P. A common thread between KPU and oxalate therapy is vitamin B6 and the absorbtion of nutrients. Now from the article I posted above they mention B6 along with vitamin c, where B6 ensures oxalates are not problematic. I wonder if a study will be done for those taking larges doses of vitamin C in combination with a low oxalate diet and supplemental B6 along with others like EDTA. EDTA appears to also dissolve calcium-oxalate crystalls. So when we use EDTA, are we chellating metals or oxalates?

Thanks Kelly for making us think a bit more about diet. I'm very impressed with Susan Owens work with oxalates. Along with the studies you posted.

Is it possible vitamin C is an innocent bystander to a bigger problem, "oxalates". Could it be oxalates are far more problematic in some lymies digestion then we know? Considering the vast amount of probiotics lymies use. And when lymies take vast amounts of probiotics is it to counter oxalates. And oxalates prevent the re-population of gut flora.

A real tell tale sign of oxalate issues is loose teeth.

--------------------
Bob

gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 500-1000 mg of organic vitamin C food based powder and it's never bothered my stomach which is unusual for me since I have a sensitive stomach.

This article does concern me, however, I've noticed when I stop taking vitamin C I begin to go downhill and feel as if I'm losing my momentum. I think my body requires this and it would not be to my advantage to stop taking it.

I'm also prone to having kidney stones. I've been taking vitamin C for five years now and have not had one stone develop during this time. I've had five lithotripsy procedures over the years, but none for over six years now.

I think I'm going to stick with vitamin C since I believe it helps me more than it hurts me. I wonder if taking it in natural food based powder makes a difference? Anyone know?

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

I don't believe all this stuff about Susan Owens and her research. When you have a product like Vitamin C that has been taken in massive does for time and memorial, then you get one person who comes out of the woodwork with supposed research to suggest that it is harmful, it looks awfully fishy.

Vitamin C is a major force in good health and fighting disease. It is a major threat to the gross revenues of the greedy drug manufacturers who have very deep pockets when it comes to covertly sponsoring research that casts a bad light on threats to their revenue such as vitamins and supplements.

Aside from all that, even if Susan Owens' research is legit (which I doubt) wouldn't taking buffered vitamin c counteract its precursive action to oxalic acid? Aluminum-free baking soda neutralizes the acidity of vitamin C and makes it alkaline forming in the system. Ester-C is also buffered. So all this stuff about oxalic acid could be a moot point.

--------------------
-chaps

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Gary -- it does make a big difference imo. The body uses anything better in its natural form.

--------------------
Bob

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement