LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Far Infrared Sauna Opinions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Far Infrared Sauna Opinions
texanmom3
Member # 28840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texanmom3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our son has found that very hot baths with epsom salt help a him a bit. He is able to stay up and about for about 1-2 hours after a bath. We know he needs to detox as his LLMD is taking him off ABX for 3 weeks to do a detox cleanse.

It was suggested by someone we buy a Far infrared sauna. I would like to hear from anyone who can share their experiences with this type of sauna. Thank you!!

Posts: 54 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
We are also looking at these. Can some folks recommend brands/vendors?

There is the portable 1 person version where your head sticks out - cheapest option.

There are huge differences in price and they seem to be related to 1) hemlock vs. western red cedar and 2) quality of construction.

The glass doors are cheaper to install than wood, so that is why so many have lots of glass.

Can someone explain how a FIR sauna feels different than a regular heat sauna? My husband doesn't think he will like the FIR sauna, but it sounds like that is what is helpful with Lyme.

thx,
racer

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texanmom3
Member # 28840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texanmom3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our chiropractor was the one who mentioned that this might be good for our son. He said that it is a gradual rising of body heat and that it detoxes gently, but is very effective. He owns and uses this one: http://www.thebeewellcompany.com/Products/FIR%20Sauna/fir%20sauna.html
Posts: 54 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD recommended the FIR sauna. I use muscle testing to determine when to use it and right now I'm not able to use it.

I would recommend 2 non-toxic brands:

Heavenly Heat (recommended by my LLMD)
and
http://www.hightechhealth.com/

I have the 2nd one.

You want one that uses non-toxic glues etc..

GIGI has some posts in the archives on mobilization of heavy metals and safety of FIR sauna.

I bought my sauna used off Craigs list.

My husband doesn't have lyme and he says the FIR sauna makes him tired. It doesn't make me tired but I did notice that after a sauna I had grey bath water for awhile. I think the FIR sauna jump starts detox through the skin for me. I usually don't detox through the skin very well.

You don't need to use high temps with a FIR sauna. Just enough to sweat for 20 min or so.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stillwater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stillwater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FIR sauna has been very helpful for me.

The ones that you stick your head out of are carbon sprayed on plastic. Not sure the plastic doesn't outgas. None of us need that.

Hemlock or Cedar? Hemlock because some people are senstive to the oils that Cedar puts out.

Not sure glass is cheaper than wood though. Mine has a very heavy plate glass door.

Here's a link to the one we got.

http://www.saunas.com/Infrared_Saunas/Harmony/Harmony_H-2_sauna_rooms.aspx

I would avoid anything on eBay. You don't know where this stuff is coming from. Remember the Chinese drywall issues?

There is also the choice of carbon fibre or ceramic. Carbon fibre is newer technology and there are less hot spots.

If you are going to buy one of these things, email the company and see what their communication skills are like.

Posts: 699 | From confusion | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely try one out somewhere before you spend the money on one.

I spent over $1000 on mine and can hardly use it. Makes me feel like crap ( well...crappier than I already feel ).

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stillwater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stillwater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Hambone said...

Sometimes mine makes me feel better, other times it makes me feel worse the next day. I think it depends on my flair cycle.

I do feel worse if I'm not properly hydrated. And I never do it when I feel crappy.

Posts: 699 | From confusion | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link to a bunch on Ebay. I got mine on ebay about 4 years ago and it's my BEST friend. I like that I don't have to breath the hot air - I can't tolerate breathing hot air.

I use my sauna 2 to 3 times per week for 45 min full blast.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=far+infrared+sauna&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I have the tent type one with a ceramic heater - they look to be apx. $250.00 now.

This is the BEST thing I've ever purchased for myself

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drink electrolytes and trace minerals while I'm in the sauna. This is very importatn.
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Infrared sauna has been great for me. Unfortunately, no place in my city has one, so I haven't been able to use one for awhile A friend of mind has the same one your chiropractor recommends and she likes it a lot. Good reviews on Amazon too:

http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Portable-Sauna-Negative-Detox/dp/B000ZGQUJO/ref=sr_1_20?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1302195101&sr=1-20

Is it toxic free???? Big question and an important one too.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, my Biological doctor uses the same one TerryK mentioned. I'd buy that one if I could afford it. It's excellent!

http://www.hightechhealth.com/

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texanmom3
Member # 28840

Thank you for all the great responses. What do you guys think of this? The price seems way too low? http://houston.craigslist.org/hab/2234204270.html
mojo
Member # 9309

quote:

I would avoid anything on eBay. You don't know where this stuff is coming from. Remember the Chinese drywall issues?

There is also the choice of carbon fibre or ceramic. Carbon fibre is newer technology and there are less hot spots.

If you are going to buy one of these things, email the company and see what their communication skills are like. [/QB]

I've recommended the ebay saunas to lots of people who are very happy with them. I've never felt anything but MUCH better right after I get out of my sauna and then the next day.

I originally bought this as a temporary thing to see if I liked it and was going to invest in something more expensive. After four years of LOTS of use I am beginning to wear it out and I will be replacing it with another just like it!

I also know a lot of people that really like their wood saunas. You have to be careful that the wood is the right kind and also the glue can be toxic. I wish I could comment more on this but I haven't done the research on this type of sauna since I am happy with mine.

chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An ND sells the same saunas sold on ebay. There's nothing wrong with them. Nobody's had problems.

Seller "Decorate with Daria" has the best prices. Make sure they have the carbon FIR panels and the ceramic heater. This seller offers free shipping, to. Should cost roughly 225 out the door.

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

quote:
Originally posted by texanmom3:
Thank you for all the great responses. What do you guys think of this? The price seems way too low? http://houston.craigslist.org/hab/2234204270.html

Wow, that is cheap! Excellent price assuming the heaters work and it's in good condition. If I lived in Houston I'd be sitting in that thing by now. Wonder what shipping would be on that?

Gary

Stillwater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30312

I think when I bought mine I probably used an over abundance of caution. I buy a lot of things off of ebay. For large purchases I always ask a few questions. If they don't answer I don't buy because I'm not sure they would honor their warranty. None of the eBayers answered my questions.

And I was concerned with outgassing from the material it was made from. I read some reports that some saunas were using particle board and that bothered me. I know how bad that stuff smells.

I've been told that all wooden FIR saunas are made in China. I don't know if that's true, but I couldn't find any that weren't. I know mine was. Nothing against China, I just don't trust their building materials.

I sure as heck wish I didn't have to spend that kind of money. And it was a gamble because it might have hurt me more than helped me.

I now know plenty of people who have bought all kinds of saunas on ebay. None of them have had a problem. I guess all that matters is that they heat you up without outgassing...

They sure do make you feel good.

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rule out KPU/HPU before using FIR sauna. Increased blood circulation, good in itself, also mobilizes toxic metals and chemicals, all neurotoxins. Mobilizing does not necessarily mean it is leaving the body. Make sure not to cause you more problems - .

Same problem if you are or have turned allergic to toxic metals, which always are a part of Lyme. Mobilizing metals by any means when the body cannot regulate them, i.e. is allergic to them and does not recognize them, is damaging in the long run. I haven't met anyone in 13 years who has Lyme and no metal problem. Check out Allergie Immun here. Please do. The best sauna backfires if you have either KPU (many do) and/or the body has lost the ability to regulate/ has turned allergic or always was allergic to foods, chemicals, emotional blockages, etc.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement