LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do you take ABX breaks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you take ABX breaks?
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
Ive been on Abx for the last year with no breaks. I have been improving but by no means better. My LLMD wants to take an abx break, to let my body rest and just use herbals and other stuff for a while. I'm nervous.

I know if I start to crash big time to get back on the meds ASAP. My main symptom is brain fog. I guess I'm just scared I'll get way worse and I think the biggest thing is to me-- it feels like were not fighting anymore....I know thats silly.

Do you guys take breaks? For how long? Did you die--lol?

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texanmom3
Member # 28840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texanmom3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son will be starting a 3 weeks break next week and doing a detox cleanse. He has been on doxy/rifampin since October/November. We are good with the decision because as he was getting better, he is definitely showing signs of a need to detox. I will post how it goes for him at the end of the 3 weeks.
Posts: 54 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes! my nd switches and pulses and takes breaks

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doc put me on abx for lyme, saw there was something slowing progress within a month.

she then addressed parasites, h.pylori and now she is going to hit babs since during the lyme tx she noticed my babs symptoms came to the forefront.

for babs i'm on Byron White Formula A-Bab, its herbal. 1 month of babs and then we will re-access. sick as a dog right now, but i think it's just a plain ole virus of another sort. backed of babs tx just to be sure.

after my doc hits hard for a month she switches to something gentler and herbal to give my body a break and she always addresses candida issues in between.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:-) ok thanks guys. I'm gonna keep on truckin.

Yes I plan on tackling yeast as much as possible during this time too

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landerss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landerss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking a break right now, going on 5 weeks with no antibiotics, only herbals. I've been treating 2.5 years, with only one prior 3-week antibiotic break during the first year.

Some symptoms have lightly returned (some foot & ankle pain, evening chills, mild headache), but all hell hasn't broken loose, fortunately.

I took a break to try and detox kidneys and liver, although my toxic symptoms haven't fully abated. I'm seeing my LLMD next week and am not sure if I'll return to antibiotics until I feel more detoxified.

In the meantime, I'm trying to do some diet work during this break by avoiding identified sensitive foods and trying to go low-fat for biofilm dissolution (per Dr. F). Can't tell if either is helping much, but I have noticed that I don't have twitches when avoiding sensitive foods...

Hope your break goes well if you decide to give it a try. I was really scared to take a break, and it honestly hasn't been as bad as I had feared.

--------------------
Increasingly ill over past 10 yrs; treating since October '08.

Posts: 180 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may lead to resistance with some drugs.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17905571

Wonder it the IDSA's 30 days of doxy also has this effect?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a break the first year thinking I could keep things under control with herbs. Perhaps the break was too long - five months - but I plummeted.

So off to the LLMD and got diagnosed with bart- put on levaquin. Got tendonitis five weeks into it. Another break from abx, this time for 8 months. I took massive amounts of herbs ($$$).

Sick again. This time I stayed on abx (Bactrim DS/zithro) for nearly a year. Feeling good again I decided to try four days on and three days off.

One month later I plunged again. So back to another LLMD and put on Mepron/zithro. Four months of that and I added in the Bactrim to boost things.

I do not think I will ever take breaks again. Not until I am symptom free for two months. I will also test.

I feel no Bb but my CD57 was in the 50's so it is lurking and waiting. When/if that jumps up I will have more hope.

I remember now I decided to take breaks from Bactrim because it was giving me insomnia. I thought a few nights of sleep would be good. Since I started Bactrim again, the insomnia is back but this time I am taking a drug to knock me out.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
were all different but breaks are a must for me

listen to your body and spirit you will know when you need a break

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Yea, I dont plan on this being a Long break. No longer than a month MAX. I will be really careful about any symptoms coming back.

Brain Fog and GI stuff really are my only symptoms so I guess that makes it kinda easy to monitor.

desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have taken breaks and they have helped so much with giving my body a break and being able to better detox.

I usally would only take a week or two break but once did a one month break and that was a mistake.

The shorter breaks worked well.

Right now I am on week 3 of my break and plan on staying off until such time I become symptomatic again - or rather IF I become symptomatic again.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I'm currently on an abx break. Have been off abx for more than a month. Symptoms weren't going away after 2 years of near-constant abx (mostly IV). At first, I was ok but now the brain fog, inability to deal with stress, joint pains, etc. are coming back strong again...and my stomach likes to stop functioning too when I'm off abx. Thinking of going with a different LLND, but $$ is an issue for me right now. I wish I could find a part time work-at-home job but I'm soo sick and can't even keep up with stuff I need to do (bills, etc.).

So be careful with the break and monitor your symptoms...keep in close communication with your Lyme doc.

Good luck,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement