LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anybody land in er due to herx???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anybody land in er due to herx???
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sometimes this headache is so bad i feel like going to the er, but money is really tight right now. plus i dont' want to go until i'm dying...they're no help anyway.

but could be a herx or as somebody said buildup.

has anybody tho landed in er due to herx being so bad you just couldn't take it? or the herx caused something really umm bad to happen? at what point do you know??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine is at her second ER in a week. The first one didn't do anything for her. She is hoping this one will.

She has seen half a dozen doctors in the last month and none of them will help.

She is on a call back list to get on the waiting list of the only LLMD within 3 hours. After that call back, she will have to wait another 3-4 months for an appointment.

Sad, that most doctors ignore severe pain that they can't easily explain. ERs are useless IMO. I tried to talk her out of going but she is desperate for relief!

[Frown]

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randi, what abx are you currently taking?

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i haven't taken any since oh about february. i've been trying to do herbal.

olive leaf extract is kicking my rear. the headaches are massive. i've had major yeast problems so i'm doing the humaworm candida cleanse and hoping for the best.

so far the headaches are my worst symptoms, that and eye twitching, can't sleep, ad nauseum....

i just can't take abx. my poor colon is shot...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeshmyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeshmyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if it's a herx or if it's the Lyme since you aren't on abx's right now?

For me, when I herx, my llmd likes me to take a small break or cut back the dose... its been so bad with some meds that we just moved onto another med and that helped for awhile.

I've been in a place where I wished, with all of my might, that I could go to the ER and get help but I know, like you, that unless we're dying (or it's something like a broke bone), they just aren't any good. Especially with something like this.

Posts: 256 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.prohealthsolutions.com/productdetails28.html

This site talks about how OLE can cause a herxheimer reaction. Headache is one of the symptoms it list.

If I were you I would cut back on it for a while and see if your headache gets better.

I am not selling anything and am not affiliated in anyway with this product.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tons of times.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to rev up the olive leaf extract slowly.
Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're on medication and the Herxheimer reaction is causing symptoms so severe that you're thinking about going to the ER, then it's time to lower or stop meds until the worst of it subsides. You should speak with your LLMD to confirm this, but generally the advice is just common sense. With Babesia it might be different though.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I herxed so bad from Japanese Knotweed that it shut down my ability to swallow - could not eat or drink anything. Spent 10 days in the hospital, and was sent home on IV feeding (TPN). Still can't swallow normally almost 3 years later...

If something is making you herx to the point of considering going to the ER, you need to 1) cut back on whatever it is that is triggering the herx, and 2) do some serious detoxing. You also should communicate with your Lyme doctor about this.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only ended up in the ER once since I started treatment 4 1/2 years ago.

It was after a plane trip across country and they had fluorescent lights in the plane which tend to bring on seizures.

I had just started my third round of Babs treatment, coupled with the altitude and the lighting and I started seizuring. I was tremoring two days later and the doctor said I had to go.

It did appear to be from herxing or so many different things, but I was in one ER, taken by ambulance to another one to get testing that the first one wasn't qualified to do ...which ended up costing 12 grand out of pocket just for the ambulance to go the distance and across state borders.

Sooooooooo....I definitely understand the not wanting to waste money on these visits and so often they really can do nothing for us. At the same time....when you are in trouble, sometimes we just don't have a choice.

I hope you feel better soon.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by METALLlC BLUE:
If you're on medication and the Herxheimer reaction is causing symptoms so severe that you're thinking about going to the ER, then it's time to lower or stop meds until the worst of it subsides.

-
agree

I had to go to the ER twice in 9 days due to severe herxing for babesia .. I had heart symptoms .. doubt I would have gone otherwise. But the heart stuff gets scary.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcaringella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcaringella   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had to go to the ER plenty of times, but I never ever tell them it's a lyme herxing event. I just explain my symptoms and let them treat with pain meds, nausea meds, whatever and when they see my central line, I tell them the truth. But they don't know how to nor do they want to treat Lyme. So leave it out of the equation. If you're dehydrated from barfing and pooping, and that's why you're there, let them rehydrate you and medicate as needed. Who cares if they know you're sick from treatment or the flu etc. It's unfortunate, but we have to play the system better than they do.

When you're at that point, it's best to listen to your body. Then, get a hold of your LLMD so they can make adjustments.

This is what I've learned from being so sick for so long. You gotta do what you gotta do, ya know!

--------------------
Blessings to you!

Posts: 141 | From Southern California | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ended up in the ER with extended (over 3 1/2 hours) tachycardia when I took bicillin IM. Not fun.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randi, many scarey times but I've been lucky that things do pass in time. I can remember maybe 3 times early into this where I was so scared.

All I needed was to tell hubby take me to ER. But I didn't think they would of been helpful. Sad to think that way.

I guess I got so used to the weird, frightening things that came and went. But if I feared heart attack or something like that I would no doubt go.

I'm pretty stubborn and I can see myself telling ducks and nurses what they needed to do for me. lol

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randi, so sorry, I walked a tight rope many times do i go or do i not go to ER ??
One of the last ER docs i saw said keep coming- they will eventually find something, but, it shows him that lyme is real as they can't find anything else... it must be lyme and they will get to know my charts and begin to see that they can quit searching and spend more attention to making me comfortable and stable...
all things will pass...be strong

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mcaringella:
I have had to go to the ER plenty of times, but I never ever tell them it's a lyme herxing event. I just explain my symptoms and let them treat with pain meds, nausea meds, whatever and when they see my central line, I tell them the truth. But they don't know how to nor do they want to treat Lyme. So leave it out of the equation. If you're dehydrated from barfing and pooping, and that's why you're there, let them rehydrate you and medicate as needed. Who cares if they know you're sick from treatment or the flu etc. It's unfortunate, but we have to play the system better than they do.

When you're at that point, it's best to listen to your body. Then, get a hold of your LLMD so they can make adjustments.

This is what I've learned from being so sick for so long. You gotta do what you gotta do, ya know!

Playing the system isn't going to change things though. Why wouldn't you educate the doctors and nurses? I work in the ER as a nurse and I admit....I knew next to nothing about lyme. Of course, things have changed since I am now sick. [Frown]

But imo, it would be a good idea to let the staff know exactly what you're going through. How else will they learn to understand? I've been educating the docs and nurses I work with as I learn. Some are receptive; others just think I'm nuts! But the later are the minority. JMO.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffee71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffee71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ended up in ER twice during past two years due to a herx.
First time because of Bell's palsy that was caused by herx- I was not sure was it a stroke or not at the time.
I told them I was suffering from Lyme and was scared to death they would question my abx protocol.
But doc and RNs were cool. One of the nurses told me(without looking at me) that his friend died of complications of Lyme.

Second time it was huge herx that caused pain in gall bladder. They asked me why I had PICC line and after telling them it was for Lyme they did not question any more.

And the third time I went to ER when my PICC line failed. I was in the middle most aggressive abx treatment and it was 2 days before new year.
Doctor was so understanding and helped me BIG TIME.

I have feeling that docs and RNs know much more about Lyme than they are willing to say/treat openly.

Posts: 191 | From va | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement